ADVERTISEMENT

Who signs with Purdue this fall?

Fugs

True Freshman
Gold Member
Jan 13, 2002
Who jumps on the Boiler band wagon this fall?

Reibe - No, already have enough big men?
Bundalo - No, would he really be a good fit?
Singleton -? Only if he has a great senior season. He would have to red shirt.
Sisley - No, What the heck is he waiting for?
Mullins -? I hope so. Is he headed to the East Coast?
West - No, to far from home.
Haralson - No, Great player, but would he fit in with Painter's style (Catchings)?
Khamenia - No, but you never know. West Coast should snatch him up.
Adams -? I think it's Baylor or Boilers.
Transfer -? If Mullins don't sign and Singleton or Adams won't red shirt. Painter wouldn't mind holding the scholarship for a transfer.

Haralson - No, Great player, but would he fit in with Painter's style (Catchings)?
Transfer -? If Mullins don't sign and Singleton or Adams won't red shirt. Painter wouldn't mind holding the scholarship for a transfer.
I want Haralson and Williams-Adams. Lance Jones impact transfers are fine with me.
If Sisley can be like Hummel in college, that is fine, too.

I think they add 2.

West seems most likely from what I've read.

I'm going on limb and saying next spot will be Sisley. Pro IU family makes business decision for where he will be developed the best and he heads to West Lafayette. No inside info, but I think Painter's recruiting equity pays off here and they feel most comfortable with the program fit.

Painter wouldn't mind holding the scholarship for a transfer.

Not sure how many scholies we are talking about with new 15 limit......but yes, either impact guys like Harrleson or more likely a great transfers that fit.

With the guys CMP has I am not sure he is sweating it one way or another. One thing for sure, he always seems to add quality guys these days.

Reibe - No, when we signed DJ, we moved on from him and we didn’t make his top 10

Bundalo - haven’t heard much about him

Singleton - seems exactly like a player Purdue gets and painter loves to have. Under the radar but significantly improving. He’d be a great get.

Sisley - taking his visits and hopefully he commits, but he won’t be an instant impact guy his Frosh year. After that though, he should be

Mullins - not going on an OV here and no room really next year and don’t see him being an instant impact in year 1 here. He’s going to UConn.

West - a 5-6 hour drive is too far from
Home? It’s between us and Ohio State

Haralson - maybe, completely different kid than Catchings. Would make an instant impact day 1 and assistant coach Johnson has known him since he was born, as he is childhood best friends with his dad. We have a shot.

Khamenia - No, didn’t make his top 5

Adams - Hope we get him…would be like Sisley and not make an insta impact year 1.

Transfer - with new scholarships getting increased, this certainly is on the table. I’d assume we attract good transfer interest as being a top NC contender for next if everyone returns.

It's a good list. But just to be clear, Catching isn't at Purdue because of playing style, but because of Painter's coaching style of not guaranteeing a starting spot to top recruits. Maybe that's what you meant. But I am assuming Haralson is more mature and more sure of himself than Catchings, so it shouldn't be an issue.

I'm really shocked to see people think there's any chance of landing Mullins or Haralson
Mullins we may have had a chance had Duke and UConn not offered. We also would have had more of a chance if our team would be turning over next year but if everyone returns he wouldn’t start and may be 7th guy off the bench. He will be good but wouldn’t make a huge impact next year for what Purdue will have. FWIW, I’ve heard it’s UConn that he’s leaning towards.

Haralson is interesting. I think he is the only one we have offered that can make a n immediate impact for the team. I think it’s between KU, MSU and us. Maybe IU is there because they can offer a ton of money. But he would get the most playing time at KU or MSU and he’s a 1 and done.

I think we have somewhat of a shot since his dad is grade school best friends with assistant coach Johnson, who has known JH since he was born and we have been reciting him for quite some time. We also will be a NC contender next year. I think he could be the 6th man for us…or even be like a Steph castle role. I’d guess he goes to KU.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Mullins we may have had a chance had Duke and UConn not offered. We also would have had more of a chance if our team would be turning over next year but if everyone returns he wouldn’t start and may be 7th guy off the bench. He will be good but wouldn’t make a huge impact next year for what Purdue will have. FWIW, I’ve heard it’s UConn that he’s leaning towards.

Haralson is interesting. I think he is the only one we have offered that can make a n immediate impact for the team. I think it’s between KU, MSU and us. Maybe IU is there because they can offer a ton of money. But he would get the most playing time at KU or MSU and he’s a 1 and done.

I think we have somewhat of a shot since his dad is grade school best friends with assistant coach Johnson, who has known JH since he was born and we have been reciting him for quite some time. We also will be a NC contender next year. I think he could be the 6th man for us…or even be like a Steph castle role. I’d guess he goes to KU.
I can agree with your assessment of both players. Both players are awesome and would be great additions. But I can’t see either player getting significant playing time as a freshman with our current players. If they are willing to be a backup for a year they could be valuable assets. If they want to start as freshmen, they will probably sign elsewhere.

I can agree with your assessment of both players. Both players are awesome and would be great additions. But I can’t see either player getting significant playing time as a freshman with our current players. If they are willing to be a backup for a year they could be valuable assets. If they want to start as freshmen, they will probably sign elsewhere.
Haralson would play decent mins 18-23 range I’d say. He’s only sticking around for one year.

Mullins tho…he will be good for a UConn or KU and will be a 3 yr player

I think haralson comes to purdue he is one and done the schools after him how many of them can say we can win the championship with you purdue can and he can work out with a top 5 pick in ivey
Do you mean "Braden"? You get to workout and play with an All-American. Most likely the top PG in the nation running your offense as a facilitator.

You saw what he did for Purdue and ZE. If, I were a top recruit. I would look at that position and realize that position makes my game easier and my abilities will do the rest.

Sisley and West.
if Haralson is a one and done he will get minutes. Paint has shown he won’t bench freshman for the sake of benching them. It would be unlikely everyone will be back but even if they did they would find him minutes

Sisley and West.

if Haralson is a one and done he will get minutes. Paint has shown he won’t bench freshman for the sake of benching them. It would be unlikely everyone will be back but even if they did they would find him minutes
Who do you think won’t be back?

It will be difficult for Purdue to land top 25 high school players without a stronger NIL budget for them.

This is because Purdue has established, successful players like Smith, Loyer, Kaufman, Heide, Colvin, and Harris, Keeping those players will eat up most of the payroll. Purdue could attract kids like Haralson, Mullins, Reibe, etc, but by doing so they won't have the $500k+ it will take to annually retain guys like Smith.

Payroll for veteran players is why Gillis left - after paying the key guys there wasn't enough left for Purdue to compete with Duke's offer to Gillis' agent. Purdue had choices, and with the option of keeping Heide and Colvin at a lesser price they decided not to monetarily pursue Gillis. To me that makes perfect sense and was a good decision.

Last edited:
It will be difficult for Purdue to land top 25 high school players without a stronger NIL budget for them.

This is because Purdue has established, successful players like Smith, Loyer, Kaufman, Heide, Colvin, and Harris, Keeping those players will eat up most of the payroll. Purdue could attract kids like Haralson, Mullins, Reibe, etc, but by doing so they won't have the $500k+ it will take to annually retain guys like Smith.

Payroll for veteran players is why Gillis left - after paying the key guys there wasn't enough left for Purdue to compete with Duke's offer to Gillis' agent.

Agree with above.

But also not sure if Purdue NIL managers are willing or able to shell out money to new recruits before they have played a minute. I have heard via grapevine, (so is it true?) other schools do, even $ to recruits just to visit. They just have a bigger budget.

Reactions: Katscratch
Agree with above.

But also not sure if Purdue NIL managers are willing or able to shell out money to new recruits before they have played a minute. I have heard via grapevine, (so is it true?) other schools do, even $ to recruits just to visit. They just have a bigger budget.
Here's the "glass half full" side of this:
  • Established, successful players and top 30-ish recruits cost more
  • Purdue currently has a ton of established successful players, so the payroll is already spoken for with guaranteed successes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boiler Buck

Payroll for veteran players is why Gillis left - after paying the key guys there wasn't enough left for Purdue to compete with Duke's offer to Gillis' agent. Purdue had choices, and with the option of keeping Heide and Colvin at a lesser price they decided not to monetarily pursue Gillis. To me that makes perfect sense and was a good decision.
Oy vey…Gillis did not leave because of NIL. We’ve been through this multiple times on here.

Reibe (not that it matters but he’s not top 25) wasn’t coming because we chose DJ…who is better. Not because of NIL.

Probably right about NIL for top 25 guys but I’d imagine paint is going to switch that up once TKR, Smith Loyer and Waddell are gone…because more than likely Heide and Colvin leave when they all do. So we will have to play that game to fill massive gaps/positions.

Oy vey…Gillis did not leave because of NIL. We’ve been through this multiple times on here.

Reibe (not that it matters but he’s not top 25) wasn’t coming because we chose DJ…who is better. Not because of NIL.

Probably right about NIL for top 25 guys but I’d imagine paint is going to switch that up once TKR, Smith Loyer and Waddell are gone…because more than likely Heide and Colvin leave when they all do. So we will have to play that game to fill massive gaps/positions.
Really?

Widely reported that top players at Duke last year like Roach, McClain, and Filipowski made well over $1 million, with a good part of that coming from their NIL collective. A player like Gillis that is an established, effective, one year rental is getting at least $500k in the open market. If Duke identified him as a missing veteran piece to pair with their five star freshmen he'll be getting at least that.

Do you think that with Smith, Loyer, Kaufman-Renn, etc on the roster Purdue could afford to pay Gillis $500k? Sure, Purdue will get a home-town discount, but a player like Gillis will make more in college than in the pros. If he can get a six-figure raise and transfer to a top ten team for his highest earning year, that home town discount is overridden.

Really?

Widely reported that top players at Duke last year like Roach, McClain, and Filipowski made well over $1 million, with a good part of that coming from their NIL collective. A player like Gillis that is an established, effective, one year rental is getting at least $500k in the open market. If Duke identified him as a missing veteran piece to pair with their five star freshmen he'll be getting at least that.

Do you think that with Smith, Loyer, Kaufman-Renn, etc on the roster Purdue could afford to pay Gillis $500k? Sure, Purdue will get a home-town discount, but a player like Gillis will make more in college than in the pros. If he can get a six-figure raise and transfer to a top ten team for his highest earning year, that home town discount is overridden.
On podcasts both Paint and Gillis have said that Paint had a discussion with Zach, Gillis and Morty about whether or not they would come back for their Covid year. He asked them at the beginning of the season last year to decide. He would have welcomed them all back with open arms, but if they decided to move on, then this allowed:

1. Paint to recruit appropriately for those spots
2. Allow those guys to hit the portal ASAP to go to a place where they could contribute/play
3. By hitting the portal quickly, they could get paid the most

On that podcast, Mason also mentions Duke was always his dream school (before Purdue started to recruit him).

I love Gillis, but It was also time for Gillis and Morty to move on as they had nothing more to accomplish here and they were going to get in the way of others developing for the future. They are great Purdue guys but they aren’t going to push the needle one way or the other in terms of how successful this team would be this year.

I’m glad they both went somewhere where they’ll play and got paid.

Reactions: krf3632
Here's the "glass half full" side of this:
  • Established, successful players and top 30-ish recruits cost more
  • Purdue currently has a ton of established successful players, so the payroll is already spoken for with guaranteed successes.

Looking at top 12 programs like Purdue --- I imagine the above holds true for many (not all) of the other top 12 programs.

Others I am told perhaps have a bigger budget and perhaps more willingness to throw $ at new unproven recruits though...even for a visit. At least this is the rumor

Last edited:
Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Looking at top 12 programs like Purdue --- I imagine the above holds true for many of the other top 12 programs.

Others I am told perhaps have a bigger budget and perhaps more willingness to throw $ at new unproven recruits though...even for a visit. At least this is the rumor
I think that paying players for a visit is not the norm and not any real element of P4 school visits.
  • Any kid whose agent requires money to visit is sending up a major red flag.
  • Not saying it doesn't happen, but it's likely more often done by a 'one of these visits is not like the others' school.
  • Players like Haralson or Mullins are almost certainly not requiring $ for a visit. They know that they are looking at a mid-six figure NIL deal from multiple schools, and a free trip to see the place and see the offer is sufficient.
Now if you see a top 25 player visiting KU, Duke, IU, Purdue, UK, etc. and also taking an official to Memphis? That would be a sign that Memphis is paying for the visit. But you rarely (maybe never) see a kid with one of those schools and Memphis on the official visit list because those schools don't want anything to do with a kid that is looking at visit payments from Memphis.

Really?

He may have chosen Duke partially for the money. But he didn't leave Purdue because of the money. His leaving was a prearranged agreement.

He may have chosen Duke partially for the money. But he didn't leave Purdue because of the money. His leaving was a prearranged agreement.
and said prearranged agreement was not because of the money?

The prearrangement of the agreement seems completely unrelated to whether he left for money to me.

and said prearranged agreement was not because of the money?

The prearrangement of the agreement seems completely unrelated to whether he left for money to me.
Correct. He already knew he was leaving but I’m guessing Andy meant he chose Duke (after knowing he was leaving) over other schools due to money but also probably cuz Gillis said Duke was his dream school.

Agree. He may have had better money options but probably considered less because of the school.

Definitely, don't think this was a money decision. IMO

Correct. He already knew he was leaving but I’m guessing Andy meant he chose Duke (after knowing he was leaving) over other schools due to money but also probably cuz Gillis said Duke was his dream school.
I get that. But I haven't heard why he told painter he wanted to leave Purdue in the first place. Seems it still could have been to get more money unless something else has been put out there I haven't seen.

I get that. But I haven't heard why he told painter he wanted to leave Purdue in the first place. Seems it still could have been to get more money unless something else has been put out there I haven't seen.
Why would he stay? What else left is there for him to accomplish? His role/mins would probably diminish this year. He was a great complement to Zach and backup to TKR. Now that Zach is gone, his strengths of being open for 3s due to his man helping off him isn’t there anymore. He can’t get his own shot. He can go to a place like Duke to hit open shots due to the type of players around him.

Reactions: bonefish1
It's like being from the Midwest and your dream is to live in Florida one day.

You love the state you grew up in but want to relish your final days in a place you've always wanted to try/be.

It's like being from the Midwest and your dream is to live in Florida one day.

You love the state you grew up in but want to relish your final days in a place you've always wanted to try/be.
Exactly. When I was 23, I would have 100% went somewhere else for a new experience if I already had a Masters Degree and spent 5 years at Purdue.

Sometimes us fans see things with tunnel vision....

Really, yes really: Purdue paid those all those guys last year, PLUS ZACH! STOP and think!

I think haralson comes to purdue he is one and done the schools after him how many of them can say we can win the championship with you purdue can and he can work out with a top 5 pick in ivey
It is actually a perfect pitch to him - you can come in on a perennial top 5 program with a legit shot of making it to the title game. That coupled with the Final Four being in Indy….sign him up.

It is actually a perfect pitch to him - you can come in on a perennial top 5 program with a legit shot of making it to the title game. That coupled with the Final Four being in Indy….sign him up.
Yep. Kansas and Purdue make the most sense for Haralson's commitment, with ND 3rd to me.
Nothing would surprise me including Haralson picking Purdue.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT