ADVERTISEMENT

Who Are We Going Forward? What Can We Change?

Mar 7, 2011
1. Purdue is very good every year and that's fun to be a part of as a fanbase. We have the (or one of the) best fanbases and the loudest arenas in the country. We ARE lucky! Historically we're one of the best teams over decades and no I wouldn't trade 100 years of amazing teams for one lucky run in the tournament and a National Championship.

2. Matt Painter is going no where. Come to grips with that now and support the man. He is a great coach that (at least for now) can't get over the hump in the NCAA Tournament. He is our ride or die for the next 20 years if we're lucky. He is a stellar recruiter and keeps the Purdue family together spanning back to 1981 and we won't be able to hire someone better. He is a great coach and does thing the right way... but yes, he 100% sucked against Saint Peters, that was an embarrassment. This is all on CMP.

All that being said... do we all need a sports psychologist to come in and help this program? What can we CHANGE? What can be done differently? There is no excuse for losing to Saint Peters, we had way more talent than that team. As the minutes clicked off, it was panic and frozen terror NOT the aggression and killer instinct Purdue shows at times in the regular season. Purdue BEAT two of these Final Four teams to start the year (NC and Villanova). This is the most devastated I've been in the history of Purdue failures dating back to being a little kid in the 80's. I couldn't even post or come here until today. This SHOULD have been the team. Maybe we would have lost to North Carolina, but we should not have lost Friday night to Saint Peters. That is unacceptable. What can be done? Is it our lot in life to be the Buffalo Bills or are we the Cubs and Red Sox that finally get it done after decades of "being close"? Thoughts?

#BoilerUp

1. Purdue is very good every year and that's fun to be a part of as a fanbase. We have the (or one of the) best fanbases and the loudest arenas in the country. We ARE lucky! Historically we're one of the best teams over decades and no I wouldn't trade 100 years of amazing teams for one lucky run in the tournament and a National Championship.

2. Matt Painter is going no where. Come to grips with that now and support the man. He is a great coach that (at least for now) can't get over the hump in the NCAA Tournament. He is our ride or die for the next 20 years if we're lucky. He is a stellar recruiter and keeps the Purdue family together spanning back to 1981 and we won't be able to hire someone better. He is a great coach and does thing the right way... but yes, he 100% sucked against Saint Peters, that was an embarrassment. This is all on CMP.

All that being said... do we all need a sports psychologist to come in and help this program? What can we CHANGE? What can be done differently? There is no excuse for losing to Saint Peters, we had way more talent than that team. As the minutes clicked off, it was panic and frozen terror NOT the aggression and killer instinct Purdue shows at times in the regular season. Purdue BEAT two of these Final Four teams to start the year (NC and Villanova). This is the most devastated I've been in the history of Purdue failures dating back to being a little kid in the 80's. I couldn't even post or come here until today. This SHOULD have been the team. Maybe we would have lost to North Carolina, but we should not have lost Friday night to Saint Peters. That is unacceptable. What can be done? Is it our lot in life to be the Buffalo Bills or are we the Cubs and Red Sox that finally get it done after decades of "being close"? Thoughts?

#BoilerUp
Matt said loss was on him , but in my mind it was also on Ivey and Edey.

Need more talent to get to Final 4's, one NBA talent on team will not do it.

At this moment, we are the Buffalo Bills / Minnesota Vikings.
Purdue needs to do something different. 1) Use transfer portal as needed for excellent ball handlers and ball distributors to minimize TOs 2 ) Assistants who can change and adapt on the fly and to trust them. Gasp! Maybe even change to a zone on the fly for a few key moments in bigger games. 3) Use Virgil Sweet FT method or call up Rick Mount for evaluations of Free Throws to get a team higher from 67% to 80+%. 4) Use sports psychology or more emphasis to John Wooden's principles. If already using them, find aspects that can better handle pressure to get the achieve 1 step higher.
I might be wrong, but Ivey heading to the NBA might be helpful to the team concept and minimizing errors. We'll sacrifice creativity, yet it can hurt as much as it can help.
For the record, I was both stunned and depressed Friday night.

Reactions: z_one and mean_gene

2. Matt Painter is going no where. Come to grips with that now and support the man. He is a great coach that (at least for now) can't get over the hump in the NCAA Tournament. He is our ride or die for the next 20 years if we're lucky. He is a stellar recruiter and keeps the Purdue family together spanning back to 1981 and we won't be able to hire someone better. He is a great coach and does things the right way... but yes, he 100% sucked against Saint Peters, that was an embarrassment. This is all on CMP.

#BoilerUp

Bump from our loss to Saint Peters. Proud to say I've always been a Painter supporter even in the toughest of times and with a Final Four run... fun to look back that some of us thought our team and (maybe fanbase) needed a psychologist in 2022. lololololol

2. Matt Painter is going no where. Come to grips with that now and support the man. He is a great coach that (at least for now) can't get over the hump in the NCAA Tournament. He is our ride or die for the next 20 years if we're lucky. He is a stellar recruiter and keeps the Purdue family together spanning back to 1981 and we won't be able to hire someone better. He is a great coach and does things the right way... but yes, he 100% sucked against Saint Peters, that was an embarrassment. This is all on CMP.

I doubt we get him for 20 years more. He is 53 and anything after 65 is borrowed time. Heck I can see him more like Jay Wright and he’s less than 10 years younger than him. If he phones in his job like woodson I would believe he can go on forever but the guy is all in and you can only do that for so long. Keady was 68 when he hung it up and i feel like we got a few bonus years out of him but also lost on recruiting at the end.

Reactions: mean_gene
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT