ADVERTISEMENT

Who’s the next 2019 4 star verbal

Starting to wonder with all the DL they took this year and last if some won’t be tried on OL

Sullivan and Cravaack come to mind

With all of the DL being added, I could see Cravaack to TE with Durham to OL. Also agree with Sullivan to OL.

I don’t think we NEED a big class of OL. We only had 1 graduate last year and have three new freshmen coming in. If you have four freshmen per class and you redshirt you would theoretically have 20 OL, but reality is you will lose some to attrition. 4 per class seems on par and you can always supplement with grad students, transfers, and position changes in he future if needed. If we had Britt I would be happy with our OL class with the 4 we got.

I don’t think we NEED a big class of OL. We only had 1 graduate last year and have three new freshmen coming in. If you have four freshmen per class and you redshirt you would theoretically have 20 OL, but reality is you will lose some to attrition. 4 per class seems on par and you can always supplement with grad students, transfers, and position changes in he future if needed. If we had Britt I would be happy with our OL class with the 4 we got.

I believe, unless players are being moved to OL, five are needed for this class.

The numbers are going to be really low next season. A traditional transfer or juco could work as well.

Brohm did add the grad transfer from WKU this year to play center or guard. So he's an addition that doesn't show up in our recruiting class commitment rankings.

I will agree, adding the jucos was for an immediate need/fill action. With the mixed results he received, I doubt he goes that route very much in the future.

Why do we need 5? Right now we will have 16 scholarship OL next season, and while 6 are seniors, the underclassmen stand out as the stars of this group. We will only have 4 JR/SR next year but 9 FR/SO. I think going after some transfers, grad students, or position changes for the next two years may be justified, but why have a glut in one year, it needs to be balanced especially since the types of players we are recruiting for the OL are development type of players. If we can recruit 4 and keep 3 down per year we will be in good shape.

Reactions: Cleanface
Why do we need 5? Right now we will have 16 scholarship OL next season, and while 6 are seniors, the underclassmen stand out as the stars of this group. We will only have 4 JR/SR next year but 9 FR/SO. I think going after some transfers, grad students, or position changes for the next two years may be justified, but why have a glut in one year, it needs to be balanced especially since the types of players we are recruiting for the OL are development type of players. If we can recruit 4 and keep 3 down per year we will be in good shape.

Did you remove Truitt and Charles Allen? We only have 9 scholarship Olinemen for 2019, before this class. Then we’ll lose McCann and Mendez for 2020. Oline rarely play as true freshman, so we need to recruit numbers for the 2020 season in the 2019 class.

Right now we’d have 7 Olinemen in 2020. So if we sign 3, we’d have 10 ready to play. I think we need to sign 4 or 5 this class to provide competition for the 2-deep. As it is now, every non-true freshman Olinemen will make the 2-deep in both 2019 and 2020. They should have to fight to make it, not be handed it because we didn’t recruit enough guys...

I agree an optimal number is ~4/class and a total of 16 (attrition of 1 per class by year 5). It’ll probably take a couple years to get there, as we’re not signing 7 this class. Losing Jalen Jackson and Charles Allen did not help...

Reactions: Cleanface
Oops, I had Truitt in there who is one of the 3 juniors, but I did remove Allen. So that leaves
2018 - 15 current
2019 - 15 - 6 seniors + 4 commits (Assume we get one more) = 13
2020 - 13 - 2 seniors + 4 commits = 15
2021 - 15 - 1 senior + 4 commits = 18

Even if we get 5 solid commits, to your point they really do us no good until at best their redshirt freshmen year, but more likely their sophomore year unless we had a guy like Britt. Therefore, more commits do not help us in 2019 and probably not 2020. We are better off going after transfers or position changes then. This class will not start paying dividends until 2021 (unless we can get a guy like Britt) and that year hopefully we will have Stickford, Beach, Washington as seniors, the 3 freshmen we have coming in now, and the 3 current commits + 1 new commit from 2019 and who knows maybe some super stars from 2020 or 2021. That is a pretty solid depth chart of 10+ contributors. I know we will have some attrition and some may not pan out and make the two-deep, but part of the attrition is due to oversaturation and folks moving on who get buried. The benefit to the type of OL we are recruiting is they are all tall guys and should be some flexibility in the line with reserves covering multiple positions on the OL 2-deep.

I think we NEED 4 in 2019, but it would be nice to have 5 solid commits. This discussion was about the fact we only have a handful of schollies left and if we should use one on a 5th OL for the sake of having 5 warm bodies in this class. I would rather use one on a 4 star best available player than a 2 star OL for the sake of getting 5 since I don't think we NEED 5.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT