ADVERTISEMENT

Where does a win this weekend put us?

May 2, 2015
A win this weekend I feel is a must win if we want to stay in the top ten. If we do win how high do we jump? I was thinking 5-7 range, but it depends on who else wins and loses ahead of us.

I am going with 7-9, depending on how the rest of the field around us does... a loss hurts us more, IMO, and would knock us outside of the top 10 somewhere (12-13 range). That said, if we win, Wilner might move us up a few spots in his rankings since he has us at 18 and Butler at 12 :)

Depends on what others do but I could see us approaching top 5 if we win against Butler.

A win this weekend I feel is a must win if we want to stay in the top ten. If we do win how high do we jump? I was thinking 5-7 range, but it depends on who else wins and loses ahead of us.

Let's just win! Besides, we immediately play another good team after that - if we lose to Vandy, that brand new ranking won't mean much either.

I am going with 7-9, depending on how the rest of the field around us does... a loss hurts us more, IMO, and would knock us outside of the top 10 somewhere (12-13 range). That said, if we win, Wilner might move us up a few spots in his rankings since he has us at 18 and Butler at 12 :)

Nope. If we win then that just means he has Butler too high. He'll keep us at 18 and drop Butler to 19 or lower.

I really just would like to see improvement in this team. Wins are nice, but team needs to improve to be competitive deep into March and April. Looking for team scoring D, more offensive efficiency where scoring droughts are eliminated so that scoring puts a tremendous pressure on opponents by consistently scoring toward the 80s. Lots of components to improving both...but Painter has shown the ability to improve his teams and I am anxious to see this one do likewise against good competition.

With where we are in the field it's up to people ahead of us to lose at this point. We won't lose ground if we keep winning but we won't gain ground unless someone ahead of us loses.
Typically I would agree with that premise. This year is a bit different with quite a bit of movement in the top. The issue for a few voters is PU has not beaten a human poll top team. Wins against BU and Vandy will provide an answer to that issue.

Reactions: Frankie611
Typically I would agree with that premise. This year is a bit different with quite a bit of movement in the top. The issue for a few voters is PU has not beaten a human poll top team. Wins against BU and Vandy will provide an answer to that issue.
Win by double digits and look good doing it and we could very easily move into top 5. Beat Vandy handly also and we should be top 5.
Let's win and see whar happens.
I can't make Indy but I'll be rooting the Boilers on against Vandy.

Reactions: Frankie611
Are we going to have a thread like this before every single game? sheesh... 6th or even 16th, it doesn't matter.

I'm just pumped to welcome a B10 foe to Mackey.

Just win the games, the rankings will then take care of themselves. Purdue can't worry about other teams and how they do, we just need to take care of business.

With where we are in the field it's up to people ahead of us to lose at this point. We won't lose ground if we keep winning but we won't gain ground unless someone ahead of us loses.

I don't think that's necessarily true. I think winning two games against tournament teams will sway more of the skeptics and move Purdue through some of the 1-loss teams. The general perception is starting to trust Purdue, a couple wins would solidify that feeling.

Just curious, but what is higher than top 5? Even being #1 would be considered in the top 5. Just being surly this morning. :)
I'm really hoping for a double digit win against Butler. Couple that with Mackey rocking to the drumming of Vandy and we are definitely top 5. I still think we can be undefeated going into Wisconsin and we might be getting them at a good time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT