ADVERTISEMENT

Wheeler

Sep 2, 2001
When will Wheeler learn he cannot make any 3 point shots? I would like to know what his % of made 3 point shots in his career at Purdue. I think he needs to play near the baskets at all times. He is a tremendous athlete and should be jumping center at the beginning of all games. He is shot blocker and a good rebounder. But he cannot shoot.

When will Wheeler learn he cannot make any 3 point shots? I would like to know what his % of made 3 point shots in his career at Purdue. I think he needs to play near the baskets at all times. He is a tremendous athlete and should be jumping center at the beginning of all games. He is shot blocker and a good rebounder. But he cannot shoot.

I said this last year after seeing warmups several times. He does not shoot the same while warming up as he does in the games. I don’t know how he’s warming up this year, but if he hasn’t changed anything about his routine then I’m not too surprised that he isn’t doing any better. I’d like to see every player taking warm up time/practice seriously.

I don't understand why he doesn't make more layups off cuts. Gillis had multiple attempts in the paint last night from Trevion feeds and I can't remember ever seeing that from Wheeler. They play the same position and do the exact same things so it's not like that doesn't exist in the playbook. I feel like he should be getting 2 back door dunks every game just off teams focusing on or doubling Trevion

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
Blame that on coaching allowing him to shoot 3's....he was a dumpster fire last year from there.....Pizzed we were the only BIG team to lose yesterday..... seen that movie too many times over the past several years where we had huge leads on the road and lose... not using timeouts when the momentum is clearly swinging the other way, is a real head scratcher...

The answer is 27.9% and just a tick over 20% the last two seasons.

Reactions: samcboiler
I do not have a problem with Wheeler on the floor but he needs to help his team in other ways: rebounding, good defense, blocking shots, setting screens, etc. There have been many great Purdue players that knew their role on the team since they were not scorers.

Reactions: samcboiler
Have we found this years whipping boy? I know we must seek output the single player responsible for all losses and speculate on why Painter “stubbornly” refuses to bench him in place of some random kid at the end of the bench, right?

Reactions: Purdue85
Have we found this years whipping boy? I know we must seek output the single player responsible for all losses and speculate on why Painter “stubbornly” refuses to bench him in place of some random kid at the end of the bench, right?
Yes.

Someone MUST be sacrificed at the altar. We must find SOMEONE to trash.

If it's not a walk-on who busts his @ss to play, it's someone else who doesn't live up to the expectations of the anonymous.

Yes.

If it's not a walk-on who busts his @ss to play, it's someone else who doesn't live up to the expectations of the anonymous.
I’m not ready to write off Wheeler or anyone on the team - we haven’t played enough games for me to form an opinion as of yet. What I will say is - I haven’t exactly seen any step improvements so far from Wheeler. His shot seems off because he releases on the way down v on the way up. I would like to see for him to use a ball fake and take a 15-18ft shot. Maybe seeing a shot or two drop will boost his confidence.

I hear you on bashing a college kid. HOWEVER, this is a site to discuss the basketball team (GOOD and BAD). Wheeler has been hurting this team for a long time. He is probably the most athletic player on the team and is a good rebounder / shot blocker and should be shooting close to the basket. Yesterday we lost because Wheeler kept chucking it up and Sasha had a typical road game for him (not good)... Morton has been chucking also and missing along with a lot of other poor decision making for a lot of guys. I never saw us miss so many shots short in the 2nd half last night (tired players???). If you don't want to see player bashing / constructive criticism, leave this board. From what I can see, this year has been 10x better than last year. This is going to be a tough season (sub .500 in my opinion), however the time is coming in 2-3 years when we are going to a Final Four. Matt is becoming the next Izzo and eventually the local studs will all come to Purdue.

I don't understand why he doesn't make more layups off cuts. Gillis had multiple attempts in the paint last night from Trevion feeds and I can't remember ever seeing that from Wheeler. They play the same position and do the exact same things so it's not like that doesn't exist in the playbook. I feel like he should be getting 2 back door dunks every game just off teams focusing on or doubling Trevion
This is exactly the same thing I said in another thread. Its like he scared to work on the offensive side of the ball...

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Yes.

Your take is tiresome. No one is personally trashing Wheeler. We're talking about his performance on the court. I have not blamed any losses solely because of him or any other player. We're on a message board that exists for talking about Purdue basketball, which includes coaching, games, team performance, and player performance. If you can't handle people talking about player performance, I suggest you don't read thru any of the threads.

Gillis has a great feel for the game. He’s undersized for the 4, but so was Grady. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him starting at some point.
I could see this happening sooner than later. If Gillis is going to continue to be physical inside the paint and hit the occasional three, he brings far more to the table than Wheeler. I hate to say this because of Wheeler's potential, but at some point you have to make the change.

In the military, enlisted warriors receive performance reports at age 18. Many of them are not positive. those performance reports are viewed by many people that soldier never meets. and decisions are made about the soldier's future based on the evaluation of others.

I believe Wheeler is over 18. It's time to accept the criticism rather than complain about it. The reality is, it's not Wheeler being defensive about the criticism, rather it is somebody he doesn't even know.

I asked the question last year. I'll ask it again. Do you believe the move of the 3 point line would affect the ability of Purdue's players to be able to make their three point shots? I believe in Wheeler's case it did .

the next question that always comes up is: if you're so down on him, who would you play? I'd put Tre in the 4 spot. but but but .....he's a 5. I don't care what he is. If he wants to play in the NBA, he better learn how to be a 4. and the combo of tre and Eden is better than the combo of Tre and Wheeler. i'm kind of tired of small ball. it's time we started playing the twin tower package.

When I started this post, I was not trying to “trash” Wheeler but to suggest he not shoot the 3’s. I think his great athletic ability would allow him to help the team in other areas. I have no problem with him starting a game, only concentrate on helping other players score and looking for offensive rebounds. I also like to see him play the center position more when Williams goes to the bench. I think Edey is going to be called for many fouls this year due to his size and not because he is fouling. Edey is not getting fair treatment by the referees.

Yes.

This board always has some whipping boy each season. Not sure why some feel the need trash some kid they don't even know for something they can't even remotely do themselves.

I don't post in the game threads but just reading the abuse Wheeler takes to the point of people calling him an 'idiot' and other things, is just sickening really as a human let alone Purdue grad.

Once wheeler is gone, someone else will get that treatment and the trend will continue.

When I started this post, I was not trying to “trash” Wheeler but to suggest he not shoot the 3’s. I think his great athletic ability would allow him to help the team in other areas. I have no problem with him starting a game, only concentrate on helping other players score and looking for offensive rebounds. I also like to see him play the center position more when Williams goes to the bench. I think Edey is going to be called for many fouls this year due to his size and not because he is fouling. Edey is not getting fair treatment by the referees.
I don't think the comments about Wheeler being trashed were directed at you rather than the same ones that do trash Wheeler on the regular.

Your critique is fair in that he probably should avoid the 3 and just play to what he is good at. He's a pretty good rebounder and can jump out of the gym, so I would hope he does more of that.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
who is the guy that plays Wheeler? While Wheeler may not be playing to your expectations, Painter is the one who plays him and knows he will be shooting 3's. The guy is doing his best, we can talk about him, but he is doing what Painter wants or someone else would be playing.

This board always has some whipping boy each season. Not sure why some feel the need trash some kid they don't even know for something they can't even remotely do themselves.

I don't post in the game threads but just reading the abuse Wheeler takes to the point of people calling him an 'idiot' and other things, is just sickening really as a human let alone Purdue grad.

Once wheeler is gone, someone else will get that treatment and the trend will continue.

I haven’t seen any criticism of Wheeler that wasn’t already being said last season.
This idea that fans on here always need 1 player to single out is more narrative than reality.

The reality is: no one that is producing at the level at which Wheeler is producing in their FOURTH year in the program should be benefitting from the amount of minutes he is getting.

He will not be in the starting lineup soon. You’ll see.

This idea that fans on here always need 1 player to single out is more narrative than reality.
Other than it isn't. Previously it was Grady and so on and so forth. And once Wheeler is gone, someone else will become that whipping boy.

Regardless, I will go ahead and let Painter decide who should and shouldn't be playing rather than some forum poster that like me, can't hold a candle to what Painter knows about this team let alone basketball in general.

I have a different take / perspective. Rather than trashing Wheeler what I see are forum members trashing other forum members who previously praised him and said how great he was! Basically the posts on this board are nothing more than calling out certain posters and those posters are getting defensive that their previous posts are being questioned.

It’s not like Wheeler is defending himself or that Painter is defending him or berating him.

wheeler’s play this year seems to be the same as it always was. And people are being honest and basically saying it is what it always was and despite the hopes of some posters who claimed it was going to get better, it’s not.

I’ve criticized posters a lot more than players!

something I’ve also never understood about Paine’s style of basketball is why does the 4 play so much of his time on the perimeter rather than in the paint. And why does the 4 take so many 3 point shots. Wouldn’t it be more effective to have 2 guys in the paint to get put backs and only 3 guys on the perimeter? Surely we have 3 players playing on the perimeter that are good enough to be able to get free and get their shots off. Do we really need 4 players to do so?

I’d personally like Purdue to change its style of offense and be more inside the paint oriented and take more inside higher percentage shots than bombing away. Taking more inside shots usually leads to more free throws and the other team’s players fouling out. In other words, I’d like to see Purdue become more physical than just jump shooting.

something I’ve also never understood about Paine’s style of basketball is why does the 4 play so much of his time on the perimeter rather than in the paint. And why does the 4 take so many 3 point shots. Wouldn’t it be more effective to have 2 guys in the paint to get put backs and only 3 guys on the perimeter? Surely we have 3 players playing on the perimeter that are good enough to be able to get free and get their shots off. Do we really need 4 players to do so?

Painter's best teams have all featured a versatile 4 that could step out to the perimeter and shoot, think Hummel and Vincent Edwards. Even Swanigan in his final year could step out and shoot at a decent clip. Have to be able to shoot in this day in age of basketball to be successful. Creates spacing for better ball movement and driving/cutting lanes.

Other than it isn't. Previously it was Grady and so on and so forth. And once Wheeler is gone, someone else will become that whipping boy.

Regardless, I will go ahead and let Painter decide who should and shouldn't be playing rather than some forum poster that like me, can't hold a candle to what Painter knows about this team let alone basketball in general.
I've been really trying to understand your and @Purdue85 's perspective. But it's not clear to me why some would view this as "trashing" a player. No one is telling Wheeler he's a "shitty" person. I don't know him personally, so I have no idea what kind of person he is. What I will say is that his performance on the court hasn't been very good. But that's not "trashing" him. I'm not sure why people get so sensitive when others talk about player performance? It's just an opinion. Everything on this message board is an opinion. And I'm sure he doesn't really care what our opinions are. So why does it matter?

So when Painter takes Wheeler out of the starting lineup soon and his minutes diminish- were the ones that were calling for that all along right or wrong?

My casual impression is that Wheeler is pressing to hard. His play is like that of a hyperactive child. Perhaps a little pre-game medical marijuana or ridlin to take that edge off. He's an athletic kid but looks like he's always trying to do things faster or bigger to keep from being put on the bench. Maybe he reads this board.

Reactions: Boilermb
I've been really trying to understand your and @Purdue85 's perspective. But it's not clear to me why some would view this as "trashing" a player. No one is telling Wheeler he's a "shitty" person. I don't know him personally, so I have no idea what kind of person he is. What I will say is that his performance on the court hasn't been very good. But that's not "trashing" him. I'm not sure why people get so sensitive when others talk about player performance? It's just an opinion. Everything on this message board is an opinion. And I'm sure he doesn't really care what our opinions are. So why does it matter?
You've gone so far to call players idiots in the past so that isn't trashing players? So if someone came in to your place of work, treated you the same way you talk about Wheeler in regards to his skills, hos slow or fast he is, etc., etc that wouldn't be trashing you?

You're right it's an opinion, everyone has a right to it, but we are all also open to those opinions being called out or interpreting however we want. I doubt he does care, just like he probably doesn't care what those of us that think he is being trashed think either.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT