ADVERTISEMENT

What we can bank on vs what we need to be a winning team

BCfanatic2020

All-American
Jan 5, 2020
The lineup I think we can expect - here is who I think we can expect to see based on what we saw the past couple years

QB - Oconnell, Plummer
RB - Horvath, doerue
WR - Bell, Yaseen
WR - Anthrop, sheffield
WR - Wright
TE - Durham, Miller
LT - Craig, Miller
LG - Holstege, Washingot
C - Hartwig, Garvin
RG -
RT - Long, Miller

DE - Karlaftis, Sullivan
NT - Johnson
DT - Deen, Sullivan
DE - Mitchell, Sullivan
LB - Alexander
LB - Fakasiieki, Douglas
LB - Graham
CB - Trice
FS - Allen
SS - Grant
CB - Mackey

this who we can bank on seeing. Someone can say “well oc brothers …” to me every fan base in America can say “we have this transfer and that one from this school.” Until they do it for Purdue we don’t know.

but it begs the question, who are the players who we probably need to see either show up on the field, or take a major step forward for us to be a 5-7/6-6 team and beyond.

1) Aidan O’Connell or Jack plummer - whether it’s oconnell having worked on his footspeed or get the ball out faster against pressure OR plummer having the game slow down and seeing the whole field, one of them must get into the general value of at least a slightly poor man’s David Blough. That is more important than any transfer or underclassman stepping up.

2) Tyler Witt - if he’s not as advertised .. it means Sam Garvin playing center. Immediately, that would disallow us from taking advantage of Oregon state’s DT issues for example.

3) OC Brothers or Yanni Karlaftis - Karlaftis’ may still be injured and will be a true freshman, so it’s a lot less likely that he comes on right away than brothers, but without one of them allowing Alexander to play the middle and bumping Semisi against high octane pass offenses, this plane might not fly.

4) TJ Sheffield - sheffield is obviously an athlete, but he must show he has gained receiver skill and start making grabs for us to victimize opponents in space. Oconnell has four established receiving targets, Horvath can run the ball, now it’s time for the slot receivers to show up so Purdue can make it difficult on opposing defenses.

5) Marvin Grant - Grant has played enough to be listed in the lineup, but Purdue needs a full healthy season from the virtual newcomer. If grant is healthy, he is the kind of playmaker who could pay immediate dividends against the OSU running game with big hits like the one he landed against Illinois.

6) Demarje Lewis - I’ve never seen anything from the DTs we have to inspire a reaction other than “they aren’t bad sometimes.” They could always hit their stride, but a high impact playmaker up front with George would be huge, and even Indiana fans indicate that that is the hope for Lewis

7) Mitchell fineran and Jack ansell … uh yeah .. so there’s that.

8) Anthony Romphf or Nyles Beverly - I’m not a huge believer in dedrick Mackey to help deliver Purdue to a winning season. He’s a solid player .. the high end athleticism you need in this tough world of P5 football just isn’t there to me. Maybe he will prove me wrong and the talk will be about how he dealt with nagging injuries .. but it would be nice to see an underclassman step up

9) King Doerue - if doerue is just a backup who can be called on at any time we are fine. If he turns into a guy who forces the coaches to give him a good amount or half or better yet a majority of the carries .. Purdue’s offense will become tough to beat.

10) Jared Baczynski - I’m not a huge believer in Holstege .. he didn’t appear to get much push and when pass blocking I didn’t think he held his ground well .. but maybe he was just young and comes out a different player. Either that happening OR Baczynski showing up on the scene and being ready to mix it up would be good

if we were to have everyone we relied upon last year return and stay healthy AND 7 out of my ten showed up (1-3 are mandatory) .. yeah we could be talking about a team that surprises people

Last edited:
I’m curious from @nat100 and those that I typically disagree with.. did I understate anything, overstate anything? Am I missing someone ?

I thought an injury has ended C.J.McWilliams career.
Oh is that the case? Didn’t see that.. then bump romphf and Beverly.. because Oregon states receivers are quick.. dedrick Mackey will either be gotten underneath or up top

Oh is that the case? Didn’t see that.. then bump romphf and Beverly.. because Oregon states receivers are quick.. dedrick Mackey will either be gotten underneath or up top
Yeah. Never made it to Purdue. Suffered an eye injury that has maybe ended his career.

The lineup I think we can expect - here is who I think we can expect to see based on what we saw the past couple years

QB - Oconnell, Plummer
RB - Horvath, doerue
WR - Bell, Yaseen
WR - Anthrop, sheffield
WR - Wright
TE - Durham, Miller
LT - Craig, Miller
LG - Holstege, Washingot
C - Hartwig, Garvin
RG -
RT - Long, Miller

DE - Karlaftis, Sullivan
NT - Johnson
DT - Deen, Sullivan
DE - Mitchell, Sullivan
LB - Alexander
LB - Fakasiieki, Douglas
LB - Graham
CB - Trice
FS - Allen
SS - Grant
CB - Mackey

this who we can bank on seeing. Someone can say “well oc brothers …” to me every fan base in America can say “we have this transfer and that one from this school.” Until they do it for Purdue we don’t know.

but it begs the question, who are the players who we probably need to see either show up on the field, or take a major step forward for us to be a 5-7/6-6 team and beyond.

1) Aidan O’Connell or Jack plummer - whether it’s oconnell having worked on his footspeed or get the ball out faster against pressure OR plummer having the game slow down and seeing the whole field, one of them must get into the general value of at least a slightly poor man’s David Blough. That is more important than any transfer or underclassman stepping up.

2) Tyler Witt - if he’s not as advertised .. it means Sam Garvin playing center. Immediately, that would disallow us from taking advantage of Oregon state’s DT issues for example.

3) OC Brothers or Yanni Karlaftis - Karlaftis’ may still be injured and will be a true freshman, so it’s a lot less likely that he comes on right away than brothers, but without one of them allowing Alexander to play the middle and bumping Semisi against high octane pass offenses, this plane might not fly.

4) TJ Sheffield - sheffield is obviously an athlete, but he must show he has gained receiver skill and start making grabs for us to victimize opponents in space. Oconnell has four established receiving targets, Horvath can run the ball, now it’s time for the slot receivers to show up so Purdue can make it difficult on opposing defenses.

5) Marvin Grant - Grant has played enough to be listed in the lineup, but Purdue needs a full healthy season from the virtual newcomer. If grant is healthy, he is the kind of playmaker who could pay immediate dividends against the OSU running game with big hits like the one he landed against Illinois.

6) Demarje Lewis - I’ve never seen anything from the DTs we have to inspire a reaction other than “they aren’t bad sometimes.” They could always hit their stride, but a high impact playmaker up front with George would be huge, and even Indiana fans indicate that that is the hope for Lewis

8) CJ McWilliams or Anthony Romphf or Nyles Beverly - I’m not a huge believer in dedrick Mackey to help deliver Purdue to a winning season. He’s a solid player .. the high end athleticism you need in this tough world of P5 football just isn’t there to me. Maybe he will prove me wrong and the talk will be about how he dealt with nagging injuries .. but it would be nice to see the Florida transfer step up

9) King Doerue - if doerue is just a backup who can be called on at any time we are fine. If he turns into a guy who forces the coaches to give him a good amount or half or better yet a majority of the carries .. Purdue’s offense will become tough to beat.

10) Jared Baczynski - I’m not a huge believer in Holstege .. he didn’t appear to get much push and when pass blocking I didn’t think he held his ground well .. but maybe he was just young and comes out a different player. Either that happening OR Baczynski showing up on the scene and being ready to mix it up would be good

if we were to have everyone we relied upon last year return and stay healthy AND 7 out of my ten showed up (1-3 are mandatory) .. yeah we could be talking about a team that surprises people
2). Gus Hartwig will be playing center. What does Tyler Witt have to do with Garvin?

2). Gus Hartwig will be playing center. What does Tyler Witt have to do with Garvin?
If Witt were to not be as advertised and not be able to play at this level, you’d be looking at Hartwig, Garvin and Holstege.

we got another OL from that conference a few years ago who was supposed to be good and wasn’t, didn’t we? Also, I never bank on anything until I see it ..

Edwards, who to me, was meh.. I’ll believe anyone who hasn’t shown out at the p5 level will be good here, when they are.. good here.

If Witt were to not be as advertised and not be able to play at this level, you’d be looking at Hartwig, Garvin and Holstege.

we got another OL from that conference a few years ago who was supposed to be good and wasn’t, didn’t we? Also, I never bank on anything until I see it ..

Edwards, who to me, was meh.. I’ll believe anyone who hasn’t shown out at the p5 level will be good here, when they are.. good here.
Edwards was solid. I think Witt will start. My only worry is his height and arm length

also, Sheffield should start over anthrop

QB - Oconnell, Plummer
RB - Horvath, doerue
WR - Bell, Yaseen
WR - Anthrop, sheffield
WR - Wright
TE - Durham, Miller
LT - Craig, Miller
LG - Holstege, Washingot
C - Hartwig, Garvin
RG -
RT - Long, Miller

DE - Karlaftis, Sullivan
NT - Johnson
DT - Deen, Sullivan
DE - Mitchell, Sullivan
LB - Alexander
LB - Fakasiieki, Douglas
LB - Graham
CB - Trice
FS - Allen
SS - Grant
CB - Mackey

8) Anthony Romphf or Nyles Beverly - I’m not a huge believer in dedrick Mackey to help deliver Purdue to a winning season. He’s a solid player .. the high end athleticism you need in this tough world of P5 football just isn’t there to me. Maybe he will prove me wrong and the talk will be about how he dealt with nagging injuries .. but it would be nice to see an underclassman step up

I didn’t want to start a new thread for this, so I will just put it in here
Today at 1:30, one of the ND sites is doing a live show on YouTube, breaking down Purdue (and Toledo). It’s part of the opponent preview series.
The main host is a big Jeff Brohm fan, so you will probably hear that during the preview.
But if you are curious to watch an outsider’s view of Purdue, tune in at 1:30.
I will put the link at the bottom. If you can’t watch it live, you can watch it later.
Here is the cool part; they do a live Q&A after the preview. So if you are watching live, you can literally ask them questions real time (over YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, etc…) and they will answer them immediately or during the Q&A. Just tell them you are a Purdue fan and as long as you don’t troll, they will answer your questions & talk back & forth with you.

Today at 1:30, one of the ND sites is doing a live show on YouTube, breaking down Purdue (and Toledo). It’s part of the opponent preview series.
The main host is a big Jeff Brohm fan, so you will probably hear that during the preview.
I will put the link at the bottom. If you can’t watch it live, you can watch it later.
Here is the cool part; they do a live Q&A after the preview. So if you are watching live, you can literally ask them questions real time (over YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, etc…) and they will answer them immediately or during the Q&A. Just tell them you are a Purdue fan and as long as you don’t troll, they will answer your questions & talk back & forth with you.

Is it gonna be on YouTube after?

They nailed it regarding the run game and offensive line. There simply has to be improvement in that area. With just average OL play (which would be a huge improvement), this offense has dynamic potential with either QB.

Downplayed the schedule a bit too much. A bunch of toss up games, 1 gimme, and 3 probable losses does not equate to a favorable schedule for 6 to 8 wins.

Didn't get into Purdue's personnel much beyond David Bell and the 2 QB's, but did recognize there is some NFL draft caliber talent, just needs to play more as a complete team.

Best comment about the defense: Your defense just needs to make 2 more stops a game.

Reactions: mediaexpert
Is it gonna be on YouTube after?
Yep.
Should be there within 10 minutes of being over. It’s actually still going, they are doing the Q&A section now. They will do 3 hours each day usually. But when they post it afterwards they will separate each segment so you can listen/watch just the part you are interested in.

They nailed it regarding the run game and offensive line. There simply has to be improvement in that area. With just average OL play (which would be a huge improvement), this offense has dynamic potential with either QB.

Downplayed the schedule a bit too much. A bunch of toss up games, 1 gimme, and 3 probable losses does not equate to a favorable schedule for 6 to 8 wins.

Didn't get into Purdue's personnel much beyond David Bell and the 2 QB's, but did recognize there is some NFL draft caliber talent, just needs to play more as a complete team.

Best comment about the defense: Your defense just needs to make 2 more stops a game.
I think they were discussing what “should happen if you are a program with Purdue’s history in Year 5 of Brohm.”
They were saying that with who Purdue is playing, year 5, the level of a program Purdue is, they should win at least 6 games and get to a Bowl.

If you only listen to the Purdue Preview section, not the Q&A (which just ended), right at the end, maybe with about 5-10 minutes to go, they have a very interesting take about Brohm I’m curious how you guys feel about it.
As I said before, they are very high on Brohm, at one time having him at the top of their list for ND’s next HC. Somebody asked them if that’s still true, & their answer was very telling of what Brohm has done wrong (and well) the past couple years. Once they post it, I will link it & tell you what time stamp to fast forward to so you can hear it.

EDIT: It’s at the 2 hour, 54 minute mark.
The entire thing is 3 hours, 4 minutes, so almost exactly with 10 minutes to go, if you open it up & it’s segmented so you can rewind from backwards.

Last edited:
I think they were discussing what “should happen if you are a program with Purdue’s history in Year 5 of Brohm.”
They were saying that with who Purdue is playing, year 5, the level of a program Purdue is, they should win at least 6 games and get to a Bowl.
I get what they were saying in general. But there were comments about the schedule being favorable that were not representative of what is considered a top 5 SOS according to PFF and others.

If you only listen to the Purdue Preview section, not the Q&A (which just ended), right at the end, maybe with about 5-10 minutes to go, they have a very interesting take about Brohm I’m curious how you guys feel about it.
As I said before, they are very high on Brohm, at one time having him at the top of their list for ND’s next HC. Somebody asked them if that’s still true, & their answer was very telling of what Brohm has done wrong (and well) the past couple years. Once they post it, I will link it & tell you what time stamp to fast forward to so you can hear it.

EDIT: It’s at the 2 hour, 54 minute mark.
The entire thing is 3 hours, 4 minutes, so almost exactly with 10 minutes to go, if you open it up & it’s segmented so you can rewind from backwards.
For anyone who has been following Purdue football, what he's saying about Brohm isn't shocking. If you read this board enough you'll all of those same opinions represented in some form. There are aspects of his job here that are far ahead of others. The Diaco hire had everyone scratching their heads. The fact that he has not been able to (yet) produce a high octane passing offense with his own QB recruits is another mystery. We've seen the highs with the passing game but also the red zone struggles and lack of development at certain positional groups. He can be a bit rough around the edges at times and I'm not sure he would be a good fit for a higher profile media circus. This is a big year for him. He gambled on Purdue even more than Purdue gambled on him. He is as competitive as they come and has full resolve to turn this program around. But it won't be easy.

I think that the first game may trick a lot of people into thinking the OL is better than it is, even though it should be better

they run a 3-4 which means not getting to Oconnell as easily, I think the 3-4 is just worse against offenses like ours period, and then they have the Minnesota transfer as their only presence at NT. Minnesota fans describe him as a solid rotational player, nothing more, nothing less. And to me you need to be a dominant nose tackle to stop the run against us IN A WAY where you also can let the back 7 focus on the pass.. out of a 3-4.

so.. we are gonna have our problems against their D, but unless that kid from Minnesota is Ndomikong Suh and no one on the planet knows that until 9/4, they will have their issues against us too.

could be a game where one team suffers self inflicted wounds and loses for that reason

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT