ADVERTISEMENT

What I don’t understand; please seriously help me out

BCfanatic2020

All-American
Jan 5, 2020
The Minnesota call was a hugh hollins level bad call

but what I haven’t seen discussed is..

how do you square that with the physicality of northwestern with the ball in the air the previous week?

is it “hey there are no rules, if the ball is in the air may the best man win”

or is it “contact? We can’t have contact in football!!”

I can get up with brohm and shepherd having to tell bell and weight “they’re gonna let them beat the hell out of you so you might as well get used to it.” Phil Jackson style

I can’t then get up with that call the following week.

all you old school guys who say “gotta be more physical than that and win the fight” am I wrong?

Reactions: Riveting
Agreed. Same with holding calls. Game to game consistency is always going to be an issue. But you hope that within a game there would be some consistency. You could go back and watch every passing play in that game and find some form of touching between a WR and DB. But it was only an issue on the most ones, like where Rondale got held up from completing his route. And then, out of the blue, at the very end of the game, they decide to throw a flag on such a nothing two-way momentary reaching out of arms.

General philosophy has always been, if you want to prevent overly physical play, call it a bit tight early to set the tone and ease up as the game goes on and let them play. This was the exact opposite.

Agreed. Same with holding calls. Game to game consistency is always going to be an issue. But you hope that within a game there would be some consistency. You could go back and watch every passing play in that game and find some form of touching between a WR and DB. But it was only an issue on the most ones, like where Rondale got held up from completing his route. And then, out of the blue, at the very end of the game, they decide to throw a flag on such a nothing two-way momentary reaching out of arms.

General philosophy has always been, if you want to prevent overly physical play, call it a bit tight early to set the tone and ease up as the game goes on and let them play. This was the exact opposite.

What does brohm tell his receivers?

“Well you see how they let NU mug you, you obviously need to be ready to mug them back better than they mug you”

“just don’t extend an arm”...???

What does brohm tell his receivers?

“Well you see how they let NU mug you, you obviously need to be ready to mug them back better than they mug you”

“just don’t extend an arm”...???
In general you tell them that they have to adjust to how that game is being called and hope that the refs don’t blow it.

how do you square that with the physicality of northwestern with the ball in the air the previous week?

I can get up with brohm and shepherd having to tell bell and weight “they’re gonna let them beat the hell out of you so you might as well get used to it.” Phil Jackson style

all you old school guys who say “gotta be more physical than that and win the fight” am I wrong?
Salient observation.

Hugh Hollins, a name I haven't heard in a while. The jack ass that called that phantom foul on my man Scottie Pippen against the Knicks. Yeah that pass interference call was one of the worse I've seen and I've seen many. Purdue's defense is so bad it should not have come down to a call like that to win the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT