ADVERTISEMENT

what has happened to Keyante Green?

The staff was very put off by what they thought was Keyante's lack of off-season strength and conditioning work.

Back in August, it sure sounded like Haze and Shoop didn't anticipate him playing very much this fall.

To be fair, even Green admitted to not working hard enough over the off season. I thought he played a game or two ago for a bit - so maybe he's not as far down as we think.

Perhaps the current coaching staff lacks the motivational skills to get the most out of our diamonds in the rough.
Yes ultimately the responsibility lies with the kid himself - but it makes you wonder...

When your team is losing every game and worst team in football, I don't think there is much motivation to get any better, the guy probably gave up

Reactions: Redhotfill
He was put in the dog house after coming back being over weight, and out of shape. Yancey took advantage of the opportunity.

He was put in the dog house after coming back being over weight, and out of shape. Yancey took advantage of the opportunity.
thanks guys was curious because I remember him being a 3 or 4 * rb depending on what service you looked at.

Ya, I remember being stoked when we got him. Add him to the list of guys who haven't worked out, I guess.

Maybe he came in out of shape but that was a while ago. Seems like he and the coaching staff has had time to turn that around. He averaged 7.4 yds a carry last season. And what about Keith Byars Jr. Never been in a game yet for even one play. What is the use of having guys on a team if they never get a chance, be it on special teams or a position switch or whatever. It appears to me CDH is unable to create a team atmosphere where everyone can contribute in some way, shape or form. We apparently don't have the next man up philosophy. We'e had some guys on this team that apparently weren't good enough for significant playing time according to CDH but are now in the NFL.

Maybe he came in out of shape but that was a while ago. Seems like he and the coaching staff has had time to turn that around. He averaged 7.4 yds a carry last season. And what about Keith Byars Jr. Never been in a game yet for even one play. What is the use of having guys on a team if they never get a chance, be it on special teams or a position switch or whatever. It appears to me CDH is unable to create a team atmosphere where everyone can contribute in some way, shape or form. We apparently don't have the next man up philosophy. We'e had some guys on this team that apparently weren't good enough for significant playing time according to CDH but are now in the NFL.

Who? Mostert? He played quite a bit last year.

Yeah, guy is grasping.

Pamphile? Pretty sure he played every down his Sr year...
So you guys are CDH supporters and I guess he is a great evaluator of talent and motivator. I think Cottom and Holmes are hanging around on practice squads. Fringe NFL players who weren't good enough to get much PT. I just think there are plenty of tell tell signs of a coach who can't motivate nor utilize his players to get the most out of them.

So you guys are CDH supporters and I guess he is a great evaluator of talent and motivator. I think Cottom and Holmes are hanging around on practice squads. Fringe NFL players who weren't good enough to get much PT. I just think there are plenty of tell tell signs of a coach who can't motivate nor utilize his players to get the most out of them.

So correcting your factual errors makes someone a hazell supporter?

Im not a fan of the guy, but at least knock him for what he has actually done wrong.

Holmes started all but 3 games and was 6th on the team in receptions. He also split time with Sinz who had a try out for the Colts. Cottam is not on any practice squads. As for being invited to camp, so was rob henry.

Reactions: FearTheTrain
Further on Cottam. Who would you have him take carries from? Mostert, who is on a roster? Or Hunt who nearly broke 1000 yards on 5ypc and is also a fringe NFL guy?

So if a guy comes in 25-30 pounds overweight which he did, fails the conditioning test, which he did, he deserves to get snaps? I'm sorry but if I'm a coach he's getting buried on the depth chart by guys who give a damn. DH2.0 has been absolutely awful but don't fault him for stuff that isn't his fault. Green's lack of PT or touches is his own damn fault. Put in the work or sit your ass down, plain and simple. It shouldn't have been hard to motivate yourself when the 2 guys in front of you graduate and you're looking at a starting job, but apparently that wasn't enough. It's his own fault.

Sorry, I guess CDH has me so frustrated I can't think straight. I just can't believe the players on this squad are incapable of playing any better than they have. Something is not right.

Sorry, I guess CDH has me so frustrated I can't think straight. I just can't believe the players on this squad are incapable of playing any better than they have. Something is not right.

The D has had some tough games (Minny) and some bad stretches (lots of games) but they HAVE played well enough to keep us in most games. Panfil is really coming on. I can't point to a DT thats playing poorly. Miles and Robinson are both SO on the other side, and they seem to be getting better too. Add that to a LB corps that's been absolutely decimated by injuries (Bentley, Bailey and Herman), I don't know why/if/how you were expecting better. Couple that with the short fields (and inability to EVER flip the field) that the offense has given them, I don't know how they could be expected to play better. You do realize they were on the field for 39 minutes vs. Wisconsin right? They only started giving up points when they were dead exhausted.

As for the offense.....I think its about 75% of our issues. The other 25% are a combo of recruiting, coaching and the like.

If we had a real coordinator on the O side of the ball, this team would have 3 or 4 wins right now no problem. Not that that's amazing, but it would be more on par with expectations and we'd have a shot at going to a bowl this year for sure.

Further on Cottam. Who would you have him take carries from? Mostert, who is on a roster? Or Hunt who nearly broke 1000 yards on 5ypc and is also a fringe NFL guy?

And on Holmes....how many passes did that guy drop? As long as he was moving and there was a defender ANYWHERE in the area, he had a VERY tough time catching the ball.

IIRC, he was one of Hazell's favorite players and gushed about him when he came in. He stopped when he realized why Purdue got him....He was a 6'5" 250 lb TE with speed and athleticism who couldn't catch! While Sinz was not an athlete....at all....he sure as heck did a good job of catching what was thrown his way. I definitely think it made sense for those guys to split time. If we could have somehow combo'ed them....no way "IT" is not the next Rob Gronkowski!

I just don't think there are many cases on this team of guys who should be playing but just aren't. I think Bilal Marshall should be getting more play. I do think Green should be getting more play too and could help us in the BIG, but he did make his own bed and had every opportunity to come into camp as starter and just didn't do what he had to. Looking at him on the bench though, he looks like he's been working pretty hard to get back in game shape and I still think he could help us. The coaches WONT play him, but they should at this point. I don't think Yancey is going to help us win games, no matter how hard he's worked in practice. At least the staff will be giving the bulk of the carries to Jones instead of Knox now like they should have been!

Posey should probably play more than he does. Ill agree on Marshall as im not sure Domo Young is ready.

Posey should probably play more than he does. Ill agree on Marshall as im not sure Domo Young is ready.

I'm on board. Why didn't we coach this year? I could almost guarantee we'd still be no worse than 1-6 and the offense would HAVE to be a lot more efficient.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
The D has had some tough games (Minny) and some bad stretches (lots of games) but they HAVE played well enough to keep us in most games. Panfil is really coming on. I can't point to a DT thats playing poorly. Miles and Robinson are both SO on the other side, and they seem to be getting better too. Add that to a LB corps that's been absolutely decimated by injuries (Bentley, Bailey and Herman), I don't know why/if/how you were expecting better. Couple that with the short fields (and inability to EVER flip the field) that the offense has given them, I don't know how they could be expected to play better. You do realize they were on the field for 39 minutes vs. Wisconsin right? They only started giving up points when they were dead exhausted.

As for the offense.....I think its about 75% of our issues. The other 25% are a combo of recruiting, coaching and the like.

If we had a real coordinator on the O side of the ball, this team would have 3 or 4 wins right now no problem. Not that that's amazing, but it would be more on par with expectations and we'd have a shot at going to a bowl this year for sure.
Part of the reason the D was on the field so much was the huge cushions by the corners. You and I could have made those throws that stave was completing.

But yes the idiotic game plan by hazell And weird beard was the biggest factor.

And on Holmes....how many passes did that guy drop? As long as he was moving and there was a defender ANYWHERE in the area, he had a VERY tough time catching the ball.
I thought it was different than that. He would often make some tough catches and wow everyone, but had problems dropping the wide open ones

Part of the reason the D was on the field so much was the huge cushions by the corners. You and I could have made those throws that stave was completing.

But yes the idiotic game plan by hazell And weird beard was the biggest factor.

I don't disagree....those CBs are experienced enough to not have to give as much cushion. That's certainly on Hudson....that said....we can turn it like everybody else has turned the blame on the offense to Hazell. It's Hazell's team...he HAS to be the one telling the CBs to play that far off the ball!

I get that we don't want to get beat deep. That said, when your offense is struggling to even gain yards, why not play WRs closer and try to get stops and turnovers for field position?

I thought it was different than that. He would often make some tough catches and wow everyone, but had problems dropping the wide open ones

I can't remember a good, in traffic catch he ever made. He dropped the ones in traffic A LOT, but was 50/50 or maybe 60/40 on the wide open ones.

I don't disagree....those CBs are experienced enough to not have to give as much cushion. That's certainly on Hudson....that said....we can turn it like everybody else has turned the blame on the offense to Hazell. It's Hazell's team...he HAS to be the one telling the CBs to play that far off the ball!

I get that we don't want to get beat deep. That said, when your offense is struggling to even gain yards, why not play WRs closer and try to get stops and turnovers for field position?

Cushion is used for 2 reasons
1) We have no pass rush so the DBs cant play press. They would get torched.
2) protect robert gregory

I for one would never have played Holmes, he was dropped most of the passes he should have caught, and the ones he did catch, he fell down if anyone put a finger on him, Sinz was 10 times better than him, I felt Cottom should have played more, and Hunt should have taken Knaup's place

Reactions: pboiler18
I for one would never have played Holmes, he was dropped most of the passes he should have caught, and the ones he did catch, he fell down if anyone put a finger on him, Sinz was 10 times better than him, I felt Cottom should have played more, and Hunt should have taken Knaup's place

People keep trying to make Cottom into something he wasn't. He was a big back that looked like he should be a bruiser, but he wanted to run more like Hunt and Mostert. Yes, he had the look of a terrific bruising back that we needed, but he just didn't have the mentality and instincts of one. He was a poor mans Ron Dayne which just doesn't help you since you are talking to slow to avoid contact, but their instincts is to try avoid contact and out run faster/smaller defenders. If he consistently played to his size, I think he would've gotten carries.

People keep trying to make Cottom into something he wasn't. He was a big back that looked like he should be a bruiser, but he wanted to run more like Hunt and Mostert. Yes, he had the look of a terrific bruising back that we needed, but he just didn't have the mentality and instincts of one. He was a poor mans Ron Dayne which just doesn't help you since you are talking to slow to avoid contact, but their instincts is to try avoid contact and out run faster/smaller defenders. If he consistently played to his size, I think he would've gotten carries.
Not sure I ever saw enough of him to make that conclusion - he hardly ever touched the ball.

Not sure I ever saw enough of him to make that conclusion - he hardly ever touched the ball.

There was that time he plowed over 2 Irish defenders and into the end zone at Lucas Oil. Don't recall seeing many other Purdue backs do that in the last several years.

There was that time he plowed over 2 Irish defenders and into the end zone at Lucas Oil. Don't recall seeing many other Purdue backs do that in the last several years.

Problem was he didnt consistently play like that. If he had, he would have had more snaps.

Reactions: JBoiler14
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT