ADVERTISEMENT

West MI players

Jan 20, 2011
Question to those in the know on the recruiting front.

I live in Grand Haven MI. 2 kids from Mona Shores high school show as they have offers from Purdue. Jacob Whalberg and Roberson the WR/Safety. Both are committed to Western Michigan.

My friend is DL coach there and says Purdue has been in a lot.

Question- Do they have committable offers? Why would two teammates from the same school not want to play at a Great school with an up and coming program in the Big ten. My friend is new there this fall and doesn't know what the story is. Thanks

I live in Grand Haven MI. 2 kids from Mona Shores high school show as they have offers from Purdue. Jacob Whalberg and Roberson the WR/Safety. Both are committed to Western Michigan.

Question- Do they have committable offers? Why would two teammates from the same school not want to play at a Great school with an up and coming program in the Big ten. My friend is new there this fall and doesn't know what the story is. Thanks
No idea about your question but we love western Michigan. People in New England where we live can’t understand it. Every summer we vacation on Spring Lake and then northern West coast (just south of Frankfort). We will absolutely retire there some day.

Likely have contingent offers (ie: plan B or C guys).

Reactions: ghbucs
Likely have contingent offers (ie: plan B or C guys).
This is what I was thinking. Roberson is a stud athlete but 2 ACL's?? Northwestern pulled his offer after the last one. Bright kid. Hopefully they have great seasons and One flips. Would like to root for them at Purdue.

Thank you! It is the most wonderful place to live and raise a family. Lake Michigan and Spring Lake are amazing.

I just went to Silver Beach park in St Joseph Michigan. My wife would have moved there that day if I would have let her. Kids had a great time and it was quite an enjoyable view (looked like an ocean view).

No idea about your question but we love western Michigan. People in New England where we live can’t understand it. Every summer we vacation on Spring Lake and then northern West coast (just south of Frankfort). We will absolutely retire there some day.
My family has vacationed most years since the early 60's in Pentwater. We love west Michigan. I also am hoping to be able to make that move someday.

Last edited:
My family has vacationed most years since the early 60's in Pentwater. We love west Michigan. I also am hoping to be able to make that move someday.
You must also be a big snow lover. Lol!

Haha. I wouldn't say I love snow it's more like I like snow. But I really love the area.
I believe the older you get, you will like snow a whole lot less. I used to like it, but now can't stand it.

Living in Northern Alberta Canada I can honestly that say you guys have it lucky with your “snow”, also known as a few flurries here. When you have to shovel off your roof to relieve the added weight or shovel out your doorway so you can open your front door we can talk.

Reactions: Mullah
I'm currently sitting on my front porch gazing out at Crystal Lake in Benzie County and it doesn't get much more relaxing than this after a long week. I've been coming up here for more than 50 years. The view never changes and I never get tired of it.

Reactions: cjcollie

Are you a regular at Murphy's? I haven't been in there in years, but it used to be a great dive bar.

I LOVE the state of Michigan! We used to drive to Municing in the U.P. every year just after Christmas to snowmobile in and around the Hiawatha National Forest. There’s no way to explain the copious amount of snow that falls in the U.P. Literally surrounded by lakes, the wind direction simply tells you which lake the lake effect snow is from. Just awesome there. The only way I’ve even attempted to explain how much snow to friends is to explain that every road sign in the U.P. has an 8 foot long fiberglass rod attached from the top, extending upwards and painted bright red on the top tip so everyone knows where the roads are once the snow buries the signs...which doesn’t take long. Also, people attach similar rods to the tops of their fences and vehicles so snowmobiles do not drive over them. But most people do not drive vehicles, they are on snowmobiles. Also, there are numerous restaurants, bars and pubs that can only be reached by snowmobile trail during the winter. You’ll be riding on a trail that literally seems endless and all of a sudden you reach a clearing in the forest with a restaurant and hundreds of snowmobiles parked in the lot while the riders warm up and enjoy a beer and grub. LOL! Crazy fun!

Are you a regular at Murphy's? I haven't been in there in years, but it used to be a great dive bar.
I've never been there before. I didn't even know it existed. I will have to go check it out next year. We camp at Mears park. But it's a lot tougher to get spots these days. So we may have to start renting rent a house up there. Have you ever been to Bortells on Bass lake. When I was younger we used to do a lot of salmon fishing up there and would take fish there for them to smoke. There smoked fish is really good. Now we just go there for a good roadside fish dinner. There is park across the street where you can take the food and look out over lake Michigan and eat. Great place.

I've never been there before. I didn't even know it existed. I will have to go check it out next year. We camp at Mears park. But it's a lot tougher to get spots these days. So we may have to start renting rent a house up there. Have you ever been to Bortells on Bass lake. When I was younger we used to do a lot of salmon fishing up there and would take fish there for them to smoke. There smoked fish is really good. Now we just go there for a good roadside fish dinner. There is park across the street where you can take the food and look out over lake Michigan and eat. Great place.

I've never been to Bortells, but I love smoked fish. I don't go past Pentwater very much any more now that we live in the Lansing area and I don't take 31. But, it sounds like a good road trip.

Be careful if you go to Murph's. There used to be a sign above the bar that read YCJCYAQFTJ. We spent probably an hour trying to figure out what it meant, and when we finally asked, the bartender told us "Your curiosity just cost you a quarter for the jukebox."

I have a good friend that lives in Allendale and my wife and I were up to visit a couple of weeks ago. I knowyou guys had the Coast Guard festival going on while we were up there. Do you just not leave your house or do you leave town for the week?

We have gone to the festival a couple of times but normally go up to a cottage they have on a lake in Newaygo. Absolutely love visiting west Michigan.

I have a good friend that lives in Allendale and my wife and I were up to visit a couple of weeks ago. I knowyou guys had the Coast Guard festival going on while we were up there. Do you just not leave your house or do you leave town for the week?

We have gone to the festival a couple of times but normally go up to a cottage they have on a lake in Newaygo. Absolutely love visiting west Michigan.
Actually we love every minute of the festival. We have two festival traditions we do with friends every year it's a blast!

Reactions: BoilerBulldog
I'm currently sitting on my front porch gazing out at Crystal Lake in Benzie County and it doesn't get much more relaxing than this after a long week. I've been coming up here for more than 50 years. The view never changes and I never get tired of it.
Great place! Love it. Maybe some day our paths will cross at the Manitou.

I've never been to Bortells, but I love smoked fish. I don't go past Pentwater very much any more now that we live in the Lansing area and I don't take 31. But, it sounds like a good road trip.

Be careful if you go to Murph's. There used to be a sign above the bar that read YCJCYAQFTJ. We spent probably an hour trying to figure out what it meant, and when we finally asked, the bartender told us "Your curiosity just cost you a quarter for the jukebox."
Art’s Tavern in Glen Arbor...another great bar.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT