ADVERTISEMENT

Went to practice on Friday. Some notes and thoughts...

JohnnyDoeBoiler

All-American
Sep 23, 2013
West Lafayette
Tempo was quick and Brohm, on a few occasions, was very upset when the offense took way to long to get a play in to the QB. He stopped, yelled delay of game, then went nuclear about getting the plays in to the QB and the QB then making the call to get the snap. Believe it was Sipe.

Amad Anderson got absolutely run through the mud about not recognizing overages and knowing the proper spacing and routes to compliment another deep route. Made adjustments later on in practice but he appeared to lose some snaps because of it.

Aaron Banks not at practice. Not sure if he is one that is missing due to outside matters but nonetheless, a quality backup QB (albeit it likely #5 on the order of things) is gone. Good experience in the QB room.

Although a thud practice, Jaylan Alexander looks the part of a future all B1G type of player. Made a great open field tackle against Jones coming out the backfield. Later on in practice he did get his bell rung on a block from a TE...young guy still trying to adjust to the speed of the game and needing to keep his head on a swivel. He is relying on some experienced guys to make sure he is lined up correctly, but Holt is really pushing him hard. Likely a Day 1 starter alongside Bailey.

Sindelar threw back to back INT's at one point and he was pulled for Plummer,. Plummer stepped in and threw a dart down the field on a post pattern for a very long gain. Prior to that it was very obvious the defense was getting the better of the offense. Lots of swagger on that defense which could be better than many people think IF the players can stay healthy (I'll stay away from naming players since that got the ire on the basketball board!).

Horvath was running with the 2's at RB. Didn't understand why until later when I read about Worship being out. Likely the #5 option still as Jones, Knox, and Fuller are still the better options.

DJ had a rough practice and put the ball on the ground twice I believe. After the last one, he was visibly upset and punching the ground. Wouldn't be surprised to see Jones/Knox combine for over 2k total yards this season on the ground and receiving.

Moore got a lot of reps with the 1's. As the article points out, he is going to have to play a lot this season...he is just that type of player. Anthrop has the edge because of the knowledge but Moore will get more and more opportunities as he learns and understands more.

Dedrick Mackey will be much better at the CB spot to compliment to Tim Cason. Hardy should be solid as well. Will be a bit of a feast/famine type but he can make plays and has a nose for the ball.

Tyler Hamilton looked really good yesterday. He will probably be in some packages that call for him to be more of a blocking WR in the screen and run game. He just shows an ability to set a good block to spring the ball carrier.

Sparks ended practice with an absolutely great catch for the TD off a fade. He will likely be option #1 this season. Once he can understand a little bit more of the nuisances of the position...how to position yourself while being pulled from behind by a WR to still give the QB a place to put the ball or how to get a more obvious PI call...he'll be playing on Sunday's.

Overall, lots of room for improvement...especially from the offense. Still likely installing and getting guys in position but the OL looked improved and the players all look the part of a B1G team. I remember being at the game for the NIU home game and saying to my buddy 'they are so much bigger than we are...that shouldn't be the case.' Lots of cause of excitement but tons of room to grow until that first game.

Tempo was quick and Brohm, on a few occasions, was very upset when the offense took way to long to get a play in to the QB. He stopped, yelled delay of game, then went nuclear about getting the plays in to the QB and the QB then making the call to get the snap. Believe it was Sipe.

Amad Anderson got absolutely run through the mud about not recognizing overages and knowing the proper spacing and routes to compliment another deep route. Made adjustments later on in practice but he appeared to lose some snaps because of it.

Aaron Banks not at practice. Not sure if he is one that is missing due to outside matters but nonetheless, a quality backup QB (albeit it likely #5 on the order of things) is gone. Good experience in the QB room.

Although a thud practice, Jaylan Alexander looks the part of a future all B1G type of player. Made a great open field tackle against Jones coming out the backfield. Later on in practice he did get his bell rung on a block from a TE...young guy still trying to adjust to the speed of the game and needing to keep his head on a swivel. He is relying on some experienced guys to make sure he is lined up correctly, but Holt is really pushing him hard. Likely a Day 1 starter alongside Bailey.

Sindelar threw back to back INT's at one point and he was pulled for Plummer,. Plummer stepped in and threw a dart down the field on a post pattern for a very long gain. Prior to that it was very obvious the defense was getting the better of the offense. Lots of swagger on that defense which could be better than many people think IF the players can stay healthy (I'll stay away from naming players since that got the ire on the basketball board!).

Horvath was running with the 2's at RB. Didn't understand why until later when I read about Worship being out. Likely the #5 option still as Jones, Knox, and Fuller are still the better options.

DJ had a rough practice and put the ball on the ground twice I believe. After the last one, he was visibly upset and punching the ground. Wouldn't be surprised to see Jones/Knox combine for over 2k total yards this season on the ground and receiving.

Moore got a lot of reps with the 1's. As the article points out, he is going to have to play a lot this season...he is just that type of player. Anthrop has the edge because of the knowledge but Moore will get more and more opportunities as he learns and understands more.

Dedrick Mackey will be much better at the CB spot to compliment to Tim Cason. Hardy should be solid as well. Will be a bit of a feast/famine type but he can make plays and has a nose for the ball.

Tyler Hamilton looked really good yesterday. He will probably be in some packages that call for him to be more of a blocking WR in the screen and run game. He just shows an ability to set a good block to spring the ball carrier.

Sparks ended practice with an absolutely great catch for the TD off a fade. He will likely be option #1 this season. Once he can understand a little bit more of the nuisances of the position...how to position yourself while being pulled from behind by a WR to still give the QB a place to put the ball or how to get a more obvious PI call...he'll be playing on Sunday's.

Overall, lots of room for improvement...especially from the offense. Still likely installing and getting guys in position but the OL looked improved and the players all look the part of a B1G team. I remember being at the game for the NIU home game and saying to my buddy 'they are so much bigger than we are...that shouldn't be the case.' Lots of cause of excitement but tons of room to grow until that first game.
Thanks for the insight. It is exciting to learn that our defense will be better than many had thought. Norm

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
Thanks for the update!

Nice to hear that the defense has a swagger with it being so young. I would say Holt is playing a part in that. Also, like to hear that about Alexander, we will need him to play a big role with out lack of depth at LB.

As far as Moore, I am not going to say much on this. Everyone has seen my praises of him for months. It does sound like Sparks could have a breakout year.

Plummer sounds like he will be on the field this year, especially with that new NCAA rule of being able to play 4 games and not lose your redshirt year. I am wondering if Sipe might eventually transfer with Sindelar having next year left after this year, Plummer, and Sipe's HS teammate coming in next year.

Looking forward to seeing the team on Saturday. I am coming up for the Fan Day. Cannot wait for August 30th!!

Thanks for the report.I cant make it to practice so I really appreciate you.

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT