ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome Mr. Gibbs

No, I've watched his videos. Nothing jumped out at me and said "Purdue absolutely needs this kid". To me, he looks like an undersized sg/pg, with good court vision, a nice 3 pt stroke, plays hard. There's a ton of those types of players playing IN high school basketball.
Why do you think he only had offers from App St, Buffalo and Montana? Is he really that much of a hidden gem?
Maybe he is, but when coaches jobs literally depend on who they recruit and no P5 program was willing to take a change on him, that has to be taken into consideration.
As I said, maybe he'll develop into a solid contributor or maybe he'll be a solid practice player since there's only so much playing time available.
Maybe it’s because of lack of exposure in AAU due to Covid. Painter went to his high school games, I believe.

Maybe it’s because of lack of exposure in AAU due to Covid. Painter went to his high school games, I believe.
Maybe, but with social media, etc, most kids have their own PR machines.
But, if exposure were an issue, how did places like App St, Buffalo and Montana know about him?

Maybe, but with social media, etc, most kids have their own PR machines.
But, if exposure were an issue, how did places like App St, Buffalo and Montana know about him?
I’m not sure. Maybe they saw him before Covid. Maybe they offered based on film.

I think that 2022 should be an interesting recruiting year because of Covid restrictions. The rankings might be way off.

No, I've watched his videos. Nothing jumped out at me and said "Purdue absolutely needs this kid". To me, he looks like an undersized sg/pg, with good court vision, a nice 3 pt stroke, plays hard. There's a ton of those types of players playing IN high school basketball.
Why do you think he only had offers from App St, Buffalo and Montana? Is he really that much of a hidden gem?
Maybe he is, but when coaches jobs literally depend on who they recruit and no P5 program was willing to take a change on him, that has to be taken into consideration.
As I said, maybe he'll develop into a solid contributor or maybe he'll be a solid practice player since there's only so much playing time available.
iu

We're #3 in the country and everything is trending up. How about you stop looking for things to complain about and just enjoy the team?
I get enjoyment from this. The team isn't perfect and sometimes it's fun to discuss where improvements can be made, especially in recruiting. Quit being worried so much about someone who isn't all rainbows and unicorns.

You are assuming when you watch him play, you see the same things Painter does. You assume you actually have an eye for basketball talent. But you don't even believe basketball IQ is a thing, so how is it you can see talent?

It's great you can see that Ja Morant has elite athleticism... everyone can. Somehow Painter is only supposed to recruit guys like that? How many Ja Morants are in each class? Like 5? And only 1 of them is any good at actual basketball skills?

I know you are just trolling, but good Lord man... give it a rest. Between here and the Indinia rivals board, what do you actually do?

I get enjoyment from this.
Na you're triggered by it. Huge difference. As I have posted many times, it's one thing to criticize in a rational manner as many others do and another to go all karen on topics like you do.

This has been told you time and time again and you're just refusing to see it so I at least am done trying to pound it through your oblivious head. Keep on karening karen.

Last edited:
This was what you said about Carsen Edwards when Painter offered. Oh, and that he was a Plan B player, so just another in a long line of Painter's recruiting failures.

You keep bypassing that Smith also had interest from IU, Gonzaga, Oregon, and Villanova. But you said the same thing about Carsen's and Ivey's recruitment when it was announced that Painter offered. It's your knee-jerk reaction.

It seemed that you learned the lesson that maybe Painter is a better evaluator of talent than you are when you immediately jumped on the Colvin bandwagon. Nope. Lesson not learned. You still think you know better than Painter.

You are assuming when you watch him play, you see the same things Painter does. You assume you actually have an eye for basketball talent. But you don't even believe basketball IQ is a thing, so how is it you can see talent?

It's great you can see that Ja Morant has elite athleticism... everyone can. Somehow Painter is only supposed to recruit guys like that? How many Ja Morants are in each class? Like 5? And only 1 of them is any good at actual basketball skills?

I know you are just trolling, but good Lord man... give it a rest. Between here and the Indinia rivals board, what do you actually do?
I'm banned from the Indinia boards, so, you got the wrong guy.
And, why does it bother some of you so much that a fan isn't completely enamored with a recruit? Are we not allowed to question Painters decisionmaking? Are we only supposed to agree with everything he does?

Na you're triggered by it. Huge difference. As I have posted many times, it's one thing to criticize in a rational manner as many others do and another to go all karen on topics like you do.

This has been told you time and time again and you're just refusing to see it so I at least am done trying to pound it through your oblivious head. Keep on karening karen.
Please don't be done. You'd hurt my feelings if you didn't continue to respond. Seriously, I don't want you to go away.

This was what you said about Carsen Edwards when Painter offered. Oh, and that he was a Plan B player, so just another in a long line of Painter's recruiting failures.

You keep bypassing that Smith also had interest from IU, Gonzaga, Oregon, and Villanova. But you said the same thing about Carsen's and Ivey's recruitment when it was announced that Painter offered. It's your knee-jerk reaction.

It seemed that you learned the lesson that maybe Painter is a better evaluator of talent than you are when you immediately jumped on the Colvin bandwagon. Nope. Lesson not learned. You still think you know better than Painter.
Oh, my Lil Andy... you're trying so hard and deserve to be commended for that. If nothing else but short in stature, you're at least persistent.
(and here's a little recruiting secret for you...."Interest" isn't worth the paper it's "not" printed on.
"Interest" means that a coach from iu was at a game scouting some other kid, and Smith made a couple nice plays and the iu coach says "what's that kids name? Where's he going? Buffalo? Montana? Oh, Ok, he'll have a great career there."

And, why does it bother some of you so much that a fan isn't completely enamored with a recruit? Are we not allowed to question Painters decisionmaking? Are we only supposed to agree with everything he does?
Maybe it's the complete lack of self-awareness.

How can someone disagree with a decision to offer without seeing what the kid can bring to the team? Without facts? And why get bent out of shape when people point out how ludicrous it is to think that an unrated mediocre player on IU's team would improve Purdue?

Finally, why only come to the board celebrating when the team loses? Outside of IU fans, that is messed up. You put on a show that you have thick skin, but obviously your feelings get hurt here, so you double down with the bizarre behavior.

Coach Painter talks about how he spent a few years getting away from recruiting Purdue guys and it led to a rough stretch for the program. Interestingly enough, Painter talks about how Bobby Knight called him out on it. I think that the 2014 class is where Painter really got back to recruiting Purdue guys, guys with character, IQ, and skill. PJ Thompson was in that class, a player that Painter probably doesn’t offer without changing his recruiting approach.

What I see now is that Painter still targets guys who are great fits and now is getting more successful in competing for his priority targets.

Oh, my Lil Andy... you're trying so hard and deserve to be commended for that. If nothing else but short in stature, you're at least persistent.
(and here's a little recruiting secret for you...."Interest" isn't worth the paper it's "not" printed on.
"Interest" means that a coach from iu was at a game scouting some other kid, and Smith made a couple nice plays and the iu coach says "what's that kids name? Where's he going? Buffalo? Montana? Oh, Ok, he'll have a great career there."
How many times can one person be wrong? So not only do you not watch player videos, you also don't read the recruiting news from other teams. Add "lazy" to this list.

Maybe it's the complete lack of self-awareness.

How can someone disagree with a decision to offer without seeing what the kid can bring to the team? Without facts? And why get bent out of shape when people point out how ludicrous it is to think that an unrated mediocre player on IU's team would improve Purdue?

Finally, why only come to the board celebrating when the team loses? Outside of IU fans, that is messed up. You put on a show that you have thick skin, but obviously your feelings get hurt here, so you double down with the bizarre behavior.

Ok, just so I'm following your logic....We can only question a recruit after he's been in the program for a couple of years? Because that truly the only time when we can assess whether he was a good recruit or a poor offer. Am I following correctly?
If so, then you're essentially saying, we're not supposed to question any recruiting decisions because we can't assess their value to the program until they're "in" the program?

It's not that you are skeptical of a recruit. It's that the reason you are skeptical is because player X isn't as athletic as Ja Morant, or didn't have the "right" offers.

Fpeaugh2 on the indinia board almost certainly is you. Has the exact same arguments and lack of actual logic behind them

Reactions: purduepat1969
It's not that you are skeptical of a recruit. It's that the reason you are skeptical is because player X isn't as athletic as Ja Morant, or didn't have the "right" offers.

Fpeaugh2 on the indinia board almost certainly is you. Has the exact same arguments and lack of actual logic behind them

Interesting.....So then, if a player isn't very athletic and doesn't have P5 or D1 BBall school offers (are you including Buffalo, App State and Montana as Bball schools?), AND is only 5'11, 160, then....when can we be skeptical? What are the criteria for skepticism?

Tell me someone Painter has brought into the program who you were skeptical of and why.

Ok, just so I'm following your logic....We can only question a recruit after he's been in the program for a couple of years? Because that truly the only time when we can assess whether he was a good recruit or a poor offer. Am I following correctly?
If so, then you're essentially saying, we're not supposed to question any recruiting decisions because we can't assess their value to the program until they're "in" the program?
No, you are not following the logic. You question a recruit without any basis other than his star rating and offer list. Some of Purdue's top players -- and some of the players who seem to be your favorites -- did not meet your criteria. Yet you continue to treat the criteria as if they are laws of nature. There is no logic in that.

Reactions: BBG
Next up on Lenny's not-good-enough hit list:

a 1* carpenter apprentice from Nazareth

some 1* actress/model with a squeaky voice and too many curves named Norma Jean Baker

2* wash-out HS coach from Martinsville, and a

0* problem student pushing a wild theory about relativity

Happy Holidays, folks! :)

No, you are not following the logic. You question a recruit without any basis other than his star rating and offer list. Some of Purdue's top players -- and some of the players who seem to be your favorites -- did not meet your criteria. Yet you continue to treat the criteria as if they are laws of nature. There is no logic in that.
When basis and criteria do you use to evaluate a recruit if it's not stars and offers or other intangibles (size/speed/athleticism, or whatever you like them to be).

Or, do you not think you should ever question Painter's recruiting? Which, if that's the case for you, that's fine to.

When basis and criteria do you use to evaluate a recruit if it's not stars and offers or other intangibles (size/speed/athleticism, or whatever you like them to be).

Or, do you not think you should ever question Painter's recruiting? Which, if that's the case for you, that's fine to.
Your 1st sentence makes no sense. There is no logic in it based on past and current Purdue recruits.

I repeat, "some of Purdue's top players -- and some of the players who seem to be your favorites -- did not meet your criteria."

Yet you continue to use it as your sole source for criticism. The back-and-forth you seem to enjoy on this board is nothing compared to the battles that seem to occur in your own head.

Reactions: Schnelk
Interesting.....So then, if a player isn't very athletic and doesn't have P5 or D1 BBall school offers (are you including Buffalo, App State and Montana as Bball schools?), AND is only 5'11, 160, then....when can we be skeptical? What are the criteria for skepticism?

Tell me someone Painter has brought into the program who you were skeptical of and why.

First rivals/247 are almost always wrong on measurements for recruits.

Second, what recruit "isn't very athletic"? Are you referring to my Ja Morant comment? JM has elite NBA athleticism, who in college basketball has that? What recruits have that? Almost no one is as athletic as him, so in the sense that "isn't very athletic" must just mean less athletic than JM?

Third, trying to evaluate recruits when so many didn't even play because of COVID is asinine (which makes sense that you are doing it).

I was skeptical of Zach Edey - only played for a few years, really unskilled/raw, came completely out of nowhere after backing off obvious stud Hunter Dickinson. I think most people would agree those are reasonable skepticisms.

Your 1st sentence makes no sense. There is no logic in it based on past and current Purdue recruits.

I repeat, "some of Purdue's top players -- and some of the players who seem to be your favorites -- did not meet your criteria."

Yet you continue to use it as your sole source for criticism. The back-and-forth you seem to enjoy on this board is nothing compared to the battles that seem to occur in your own head.
That was a pretty week reply Lil Andy. What logic are you referring to: All those under the radar recruits that led to deep tourney runs?

Again, I'll ask it another way; "when Painter signs somebody, do you think that decision should be up for discussion or scrutiny?"

First rivals/247 are almost always wrong on measurements for recruits.

Second, what recruit "isn't very athletic"? Are you referring to my Ja Morant comment? JM has elite NBA athleticism, who in college basketball has that? What recruits have that? Almost no one is as athletic as him, so in the sense that "isn't very athletic" must just mean less athletic than JM?

Third, trying to evaluate recruits when so many didn't even play because of COVID is asinine (which makes sense that you are doing it).

I was skeptical of Zach Edey - only played for a few years, really unskilled/raw, came completely out of nowhere after backing off obvious stud Hunter Dickinson. I think most people would agree those are reasonable skepticisms.

You missed the point: Do you think Smith is a great athlete? Do you consider Carsen Edwards a great athlete?
Do you think those two are comparable from an athleticism standpoint?

To your third point, again. Smith had offers from Buffalo, App State and Montana. How did that happen? Did they throw a dart at a board and it landed on Smith's high school?

As for Edey, he's not part of this discussion.

Here is a game with Smith so you can decide for yourself if he is worth a scholarship:

You missed the point: Do you think Smith is a great athlete? Do you consider Carsen Edwards a great athlete?
Do you think those two are comparable from an athleticism standpoint?

To your third point, again. Smith had offers from Buffalo, App State and Montana. How did that happen? Did they throw a dart at a board and it landed on Smith's high school?

As for Edey, he's not part of this discussion.

You make this too easy:

"Tell me someone Painter has brought into the program who you were skeptical of and why."

Also:

"As for Edey, he's not part of this discussion"

Reactions: joseole101 and BBG
You make this too easy:

"Tell me someone Painter has brought into the program who you were skeptical of and why."

Also:

"As for Edey, he's not part of this discussion"
And just like that, Lenny moves the goalposts on you.

He has been doing the same thing for years now and will just keep doing it to you. Be prepared to go down one weird rabbit hole :)

Last edited:
That was a pretty week reply Lil Andy. What logic are you referring to: All those under the radar recruits that led to deep tourney runs?

Again, I'll ask it another way; "when Painter signs somebody, do you think that decision should be up for discussion or scrutiny?"
I twice repeated your logic to you and how it has failed. I'm at a loss as to how to help you. Hausta understood the point and mentioned another perfect example, Edey, and you said he is not in the discussion(!). I used to try to give you the benefit of the doubt and think you are deliberately being obtuse just so that you can prolong an argument.

To address your other question (changing the subject), some of the best threads here are when people who have actually seen the recruits play -- or have some knowledge about them -- provide information. Unfortunately those threads get derailed because some completely unknowledgeable poster finds the Rivals page on the player and claims that the player is not worthy of a Purdue scholarship. No matter how many times the criteria is proven wrong, said poster mindlessly applies it. Sound familiar?

I twice repeated your logic to you and how it has failed. I'm at a loss as to how to help you. Hausta understood the point and mentioned another perfect example, Edey, and you said he is not in the discussion(!). I used to try to give you the benefit of the doubt and think you are deliberately being obtuse just so that you can prolong an argument.

To address your other question (changing the subject), some of the best threads here are when people who have actually seen the recruits play -- or have some knowledge about them -- provide information. Unfortunately those threads get derailed because some completely unknowledgeable poster finds the Rivals page on the player and claims that the player is not worthy of a Purdue scholarship. No matter how many times the criteria is proven wrong, said poster mindlessly applies it. Sound familiar?
Come on Lil Feller, tell me a recruit that you didn’t think Painter should have recruited. No one will get upset with you.

Come on Lil Feller, tell me a recruit that you didn’t think Painter should have recruited. No one will get upset with you.
Not my job.

I have explained this to you multiple times. I could ask you to re-read my posts, but I'll try again. When Painter makes an offer, I have no logical reason to doubt that he has made an offer to a player who can help Purdue. Since I have not seen what he has seen, and as you say, it's his job, what logical reason would I have to question it? Especially since he has repeatedly shown that he is able to identify good talent earlier than most coaches.

What I see is that you respond to everything with emotion. There is no logic in your arguments. You whine when we win and celebrate when we lose. And when you go to the Rivals site after an offer is made, and you don't like the number of stars and the number and quality of scholarship offers, then you immediately don't like the player. It's a knee-jerk, emotional response. And you feel your emotions should be validated, so it is important to you that you share your feelings with the world.

Reactions: BBG and Bill4411
Not my job.

I have explained this to you multiple times. I could ask you to re-read my posts, but I'll try again. When Painter makes an offer, I have no logical reason to doubt that he has made an offer to a player who can help Purdue. Since I have not seen what he has seen, and as you say, it's his job, what logical reason would I have to question it? Especially since he has repeatedly shown that he is able to identify good talent earlier than most coaches.

What I see is that you respond to everything with emotion. There is no logic in your arguments. You whine when we win and celebrate when we lose. And when you go to the Rivals site after an offer is made, and you don't like the number of stars and the number and quality of scholarship offers, then you immediately don't like the player. It's a knee-jerk, emotional response. And you feel your emotions should be validated, so it is important to you that you share your feelings with the world.
hulk-hogan-mic-drop.gif

It seemed that you learned the lesson that maybe Painter is a better evaluator of talent than you are when you immediately jumped on the Colvin bandwagon. Nope. Lesson not learned. You still think you know better than PainteA

As I said before, "Interest" from a program doesn't mean $hit. You probably had "interest" in ND, Duke, and Stanford when you were looking at colleges, but there was no way you were getting into any of them, so your "interest" wasn't worth anything.

Buffalo, App State and Montana. That tells me all I need to know.

Not my job.

Ha ha. That's awesome and exactly what I thought. Painter can do no wrong in your eyes. Hope he gets that FF and NC on your timeline, otherwise, you might start complaining.

As I said before, "Interest" from a program doesn't mean $hit. You probably had "interest" in ND, Duke, and Stanford when you were looking at colleges, but there was no way you were getting into any of them, so your "interest" wasn't worth anything.

Buffalo, App State and Montana. That tells me all I need to know.
You previously posted that Carr was allegedly getting interest from Kansas, Texas, Louisville and Kentucky.

At that time I agreed with this new version of bonefish. 😉

• Wow
Reactions: BoilerAndy
These exchanges are getting a little off center. Everyone needs to recognize that firmly held "beliefs" are not going to be changed by reasoned arguments. Logical people will listen to opposing arguments and make adjustments to their knowledge base. Those whose perspective is based on "beliefs" and not "reason" will tend to cling to them regardless of counter logic. Time to move on.

I think that which ever team wins the NCAA championship this year or in any year past, present or future will have players on their team that "Purdue should have recruited". It's an impossible argument to displace. Posters like our friend Bonefish will always be able to say "See, I told you so. I was right" in some sort of pointless and unproductive self serving post. All you can really do is cheer for those players that have chosen Purdue, and let the rest alone.

Merry Christmas all!!!
Mathboy :cool:

You previously posted that Carr was allegedly getting interest from Kansas, Texas, Louisville and Kentucky.

At that time I agreed with this new version of bonefish. 😉

He probably had interest from Buffalo, App St and Montana but didn't think he could compete at that level. Therefore, he chose Texas.

These exchanges are getting a little off center. Everyone needs to recognize that firmly held "beliefs" are not going to be changed by reasoned arguments. Logical people will listen to opposing arguments and make adjustments to their knowledge base. Those whose perspective is based on "beliefs" and not "reason" will tend to cling to them regardless of counter logic. Time to move on.

I think that which ever team wins the NCAA championship this year or in any year past, present or future will have players on their team that "Purdue should have recruited". It's an impossible argument to displace. Posters like our friend Bonefish will always be able to say "See, I told you so. I was right" in some sort of pointless and unproductive self serving post. All you can really do is cheer for those players that have chosen Purdue, and let the rest alone.

Merry Christmas all!!!
Mathboy :cool:
"Can't we all just get along?"-Rodney King

ADVERTISEMENT