ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome Mr. Gibbs

When Painter started recruiting Carsen Edwards and Ivey they were 3-stars and had few major offers. And you let us know about it, so in this case you are being consistent, But then when you saw how good they were and their ratings improved, revisionist history commenced. You don't remember criticizing the offers and were bought in 100% the entire time. o_O
Try again Lil Feller

He had plenty of good offers. Lack of offers would show he was intent on going to Purdue and other coaches knew it. He is an early commit too.
Gibbs was being recruited by Kentucky, OSU, iu and other P5 big time programs.
Go look at Smiths offer list for comparison.

Try again Lil Feller
Try what again? The truth about Edward's recruitment, Ivey's recruitment, you harping and whining about them, or you moving the goalposts and claiming you were in favor of them from the beginning?

Smith is a 3 star with offers from Montana, App State and Evansville.
F'ing Painter. Keeps middling around with these inferior 3* recruits. Why can't anyone see what boilerdouche, bonehead, and I see? Painter has got to have teams comprised of nothing but 4* and 5* players. I don't understand why that's so hard to comprehend???? Is he a moron? No wonder he's such a mediocre coach and has never won a championship, or been to a final 4 yet. What's so hard about recruiting just 4* and 5* players? That imbecile just can't get it done. And WTF about being in the cellar for 2 years in a row??? Its unacceptable and I won't stand for it. I'm jumping on boilerdouche and bonehead's bandwagon. They have it figured out. Bobinski really needs to speak to these guys...

I haven’t seen video of Smith dunking but you can see from the videos that are out there that he can from some of his rebounds and putbacks. However, I remember seeing one of LewJacks AAU videos where he two handed an inbound pass and then he maybe had one in-game dunk during his entire career.

How was recruiting extremely limited by the PU admin? Was it limiting the funds for recruiting? Increased academic requirements? I did not realize there were limitations being applied to recruiting then.

From what I remember Painter was driving an old Chevy Malibu/Impala for recruiting visits because that's all that was able to fit in the budget

Reactions: BoilerAndy and BBG
From what I remember Painter was driving an old Chevy Malibu/Impala for recruiting visits because that's all that was able to fit in the budget
The Cordova administration cut all recruiting funds and cut into the budget for assistant coaches. We couldn't keep good assistants in any major sport. When we did a recruiting visit, which were highly limited, the coaches had to drive the cheapest car possible. They were not able to travel far, and when they did, they did not make a good impression. That is why all three major sports imploded at the same time. They were all starved financially.

The Cordova administration cut all recruiting funds and cut into the budget for assistant coaches. We couldn't keep good assistants in any major sport. When we did a recruiting visit, which were highly limited, the coaches had to drive the cheapest car possible. They were not able to travel far, and when they did, they did not make a good impression. That is why all three major sports imploded at the same time. They were all starved financially.

MAC athletic departments were run better.

F'ing Painter. Keeps middling around with these inferior 3* recruits. Why can't anyone see what boilerdouche, bonehead, and I see? Painter has got to have teams comprised of nothing but 4* and 5* players. I don't understand why that's so hard to comprehend???? Is he a moron? No wonder he's such a mediocre coach and has never won a championship, or been to a final 4 yet. What's so hard about recruiting just 4* and 5* players? That imbecile just can't get it done. And WTF about being in the cellar for 2 years in a row??? Its unacceptable and I won't stand for it. I'm jumping on boilerdouche and bonehead's bandwagon. They have it figured out. Bobinski really needs to speak to these guys...
YEAH! Stoopid Painter recruiting Carsen Edwards and Jaden Ivey when they were barely-recruited 3-star players or lower. What was he thinking? And why didn't he recruit Xavier Johnson?! Smart people can see that he was so overlooked by the rating experts. With XJ paired with TJD (and throw in that other 5-star stud, Landry), they are a LOCK for a Final Four.

Reactions: purduepat1969
MAC athletic departments were run better.
Historically, Purdue athletics was self-funded with sports revenue. Cordova tapped into the revenue to fund pet projects, all the while increasing tuition much higher than inflation rate and denying Indiana residents admission in favor of foreign students who pay >2X tuition.

I believe he is going to be a valuable loved Boiler. He’s a player. Is is probably going to be the runner up to Indiana Mr Basketball it he doesn’t win it.
That is going to be an interesting vote because the Indy market has a lot of influence into Mr Basketball and the northern part of the state not so much. We know he can shoot and score, but he is now the all time assist player for Westfield. The only concern is his height and Purdue has been successful with that height before..and he does have attributes that can help a team.

I believe he is going to be a valuable loved Boiler. He’s a player. Is is probably going to be the runner up to Indiana Mr Basketball it he doesn’t win it.
Carsen Edwards was lightly recruited at 5-11, 170 pounds when Painter offered. He, Ivey, Edey, Colvin, and Gibbs-Lawhorn were all lightly recruited players when Painter offered. Gibbs-Lawhorn is still listed at 6-0, 165 pounds on 247. Smith's recruitment is similar. According to Rivals, he was receiving interest from Gonzaga, Villanova, Oregan, and IU.

After all this, there are those who still rush to the recruiting sites to check ratings before they decide whether Painter should have offered.

I haven’t seen video of Smith dunking but you can see from the videos that are out there that he can from some of his rebounds and putbacks. However, I remember seeing one of LewJacks AAU videos where he two handed an inbound pass and then he maybe had one in-game dunk during his entire career.
Well, in that case, I can dunk as well. Just take my word for it. In fact, I’ve got a nasty one handed tomahawk. You should see it!

Reactions: mathboy
Didn’t
Mr Bball from Indiana got to Samford 2 years ago? Didn’t he avg like 35 and wasn’t a D1 caliber?

According to Rivals, Colvin is a 3 star with offers from IUPUI, Miami Ohio, Tulane, Butler, and IU. Other than Purdue, no offers from top programs.
Go back and read what I’ve said about Colvin over a year ago.
He could be a zero star recruit but I still want him at Purdue. He’s a difference maker and will play in the NBA.

Well, in that case, I can dunk as well. Just take my word for it. In fact, I’ve got a nasty one handed tomahawk. You should see it!

Nerf Hoops don't count, Lenny. :)

dunk7prbpn.gif

There may not be any. I found the source that I read and it came from Hammer and Rails. If anyone from Hammer and Rails reads this, maybe they can comment or post video.
I remember seeing similar reports.

The summer after Smith's sophomore year:
NICK BAUMGART: You’re dunking the basketball will ease now. That’s wild. You look like you have pretty long arms. Any idea your wingspan?

BRADEN SMITH: Yeah I’m dunking. My wingspan is 74.5″ across (with a height of 72” tall last measurement).

This season:
Smith took a pass from Haffner and knocked down a three to give Westfield a 34-30 lead late in the third quarter. The Purdue-bound guard played better as the game developed. Smith opened the fourth with an alley-oop dunk thrown by Haffner. On the following possession, Smith found Haffner for an easy layup. Suddenly, Westfield held a ten-point lead.

ADVERTISEMENT