ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome Devin Mockobee

I mean this feels like a win/win for all involved. We convinced a 3 star commit to Navy to flip to be a PWO. No scholarship burned for next year and we get a kid with really good HS numbers to come. Plus he said we were always his top choice so now he gets a chance to come and prove himself. More depth at rb is always a good thing.
This just furthers my concerns that we can't get a running back with other P5 offers to come to Purdue even when its known that Purdue lacks depth at the position. We've had 2 (Doerue and Murphy) in the last 4 years and only one is still with the program.

I for one am tired of seeing 4 or 5 walkons starting for Purdue. I'm no sure what it tells us. Does this mean we're good at identifying talented guys nobody else wants or is it that we aren't good at evauating the guys we offer scholaships too?

I don't know but somethings not right.

Reactions: bonefish1
This just furthers my concerns that we can't get a running back with other P5 offers to come to Purdue even when its known that Purdue lacks depth at the position. We've had 2 (Doerue and Murphy) in the last 4 years and only one is still with the program.

I for one am tired of seeing 4 or 5 walkons starting for Purdue. I'm no sure what it tells us. Does this mean we're good at identifying talented guys nobody else wants or is it that we aren't good at evauating the guys we offer scholaships too?

What is tells me is the ratings do a poor job at predicting who is going to put in the hard work required to succeed at the D1 level and also in identifying late bloomers.

Hewitt had P5 offers

Anderson would have played for us had he not had an issue that required him to leave school.

Don't be too frustrated. We have better recruiters now than last year + DJ Knox is in the fold (Grad Asst). He'll be able to relate to young men and get their interest. For the last 2 years, RB recruiting took their eye off the ball and swung for the fences with players that were likely "too far from home."
Mockobee may be a true diamond in the rough that needs proper coaching to really shine.

I think that this has been discussed before but I am not concerned because we weren’t this thin at rb until after the season. During the majority of the recruiting year we were 4 deep at rb and had a 4 star freshman. I personally think the staff has done a good job of filling out our rb roster after the two transfers moved on. So we still return our top two backs and replaced the back end of the rb depth with guys I am excited about. I am sure we will go after a big one next year.

He’s as strong as an Ox and can break a tackle. Red Zone material. Even 1/2 as good as Alstott would still be dangerous.
Keep laughing. I say he finds some playing time this year.
Seriously, what is your relation to Spegal? Do you know how many HS running backs are in the position simply because they're the biggest, strongest, fastest kid on the field? That doesn't mean they're D1 RB talented and 112 (or whatever the number of D1 football programs there are) would agree.
The guys value to iu is as a practice squad tackling dummy who they don't care if he gets hurt.

He’s as strong as an Ox and can break a tackle. Red Zone material. Even 1/2 as good as Alstott would still be dangerous.
Keep laughing. I say he finds some playing time this year.
Running over 5'8, 135# linebackers in high school is a little different than trying to break the tackle of a 6'4, 320# defensive tackle who runs a 4.9 at the D1 level.

Agree that this is a concern.

Sort of a chicken/egg thing with being able to get some RBs at Purdue who are NFL level talent.

Running over 5'8, 135# linebackers in high school is a little different than trying to break the tackle of a 6'4, 320# defensive tackle who runs a 4.9 at the D1 level.
I doubt the linebackers were 5ft 8, 135, he will be just as every high school kid,playing against better players in college, as he is a good player, depends how much he works at improving and getting stronger

I doubt the linebackers were 5ft 8, 135, he will be just as every high school kid,playing against better players in college, as he is a good player, depends how much he works at improving and getting stronger
I don't care if he can bench 500 and squat 1000. Without great quickness, footspeed and the ability to outrun the defense, he's just a big strong kid who's not fast or quick enough to play RB at the D1 level.
He's not going to go from running a 4.9 to a 4.4.
Period.

I was never in favor of giving Spegal a scholarship, but the linebackers at CG, Decatur Central and Zionsville are a lot bigger than that.

I do think we should have pursued him harder as a PWO than we did, if for no other reason than to get more NP kids moving forward, like Luke Burgess.

I don't care if he can bench 500 and squat 1000. Without great quickness, footspeed and the ability to outrun the defense, he's just a big strong kid who's not fast or quick enough to play RB at the D1 level.
He's not going to go from running a 4.9 to a 4.4.
Period.
I think you are talking about Spegal and I was talking about Mockobee, sorry about that

I was never in favor of giving Spegal a scholarship, but the linebackers at CG, Decatur Central and Zionsville are a lot bigger than that.

I do think we should have pursued him harder as a PWO than we did, if for no other reason than to get more NP kids moving forward, like Luke Burgess.
Thats fair.

Uncle Craig

Devin is my nephew and down here in Southern Indiana it very hard to get notice from big college compare like the schools up North.In Maxpreps you may wonder why his senior stats are down in certain area.The reason teams avoided him a lot from getting the ball as they learn from his sophomore and junior years he was a dangerous play maker when the ball is in his hands. In two weeks from now everything will back to zero and the real work will begin at the next level. It will be about trying to get a foot in the door at his new job for a spot on the team as a true freshman. We all know about table scraps when your number call up you do the best of your ability for what given on that plate...Stay Hungry and Fight!

Back in the days they Dubbed him the “X-Factor”

Last edited:
I’ve watched Mockobee play several times. He’s an explosive athlete.

I was surprised that he was going to Annapolis. Nothing against them, but I thought he belonged in P5. He had committed there after his junior season and I think he just developed a lot over the past year - so he was kind of flying under the radar.

I think he’ll end up being a steal for Brohm.

Bumping this. 😊

you absolutely nailed it
If he’d have gone to HS in Indy, I’m convinced he’d have had gobs of P5 offers. But he went to Boonville, and he had zero.

Having been involved in college FB recruiting here recently, I’ve come to believe this is a flaw in how that process works. I think they assume that kids who go to schools (especially smaller schools) away from large cities don’t play against good enough competition - and so they stand out for that reason.

This is why people like me post here. I never claimed to know anything about football players. My claim is other posters here who post a lot of bs don’t know anything more than I do. Instead of eating crow, perhaps certain posters should stop telling others they know nothing. It would negate a lot of threads being bumped and the urge to say I told you so!

Don't be too frustrated. We have better recruiters now than last year + DJ Knox is in the fold (Grad Asst). He'll be able to relate to young men and get their interest. For the last 2 years, RB recruiting took their eye off the ball and swung for the fences with players that were likely "too far from home."
Mockobee may be a true diamond in the rough that needs proper coaching to really shine.
Bumping this: All props to the coaches for finding a diamond in the rough. Mockobee is shining bright early in his career and will continue having a nice role for the remainder of this year and beyond. When he broke thru for that back breaking run against MN I yelled he's a WALK ON GO MOCKOBEE!!! The 3 others thought I was nuts and only my son had any idea what I was talking about.

ADVERTISEMENT