ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome Devin Mockobee

Good get. Good athlete.

I just read a story about him a couple weeks ago going into the State Track Meet.

The word in the news on the Navy commitment for a long time back home was that the lost COVID year of recruiting really hurt him because he got a lot bigger/stronger prior to summer 2020 &, IIRC, he was wanting to be looked at as a DB vs. RB (or vice versa) but never got a chance to workout for any teams because of restrictions.

Interesting player from down in Southern, IN. Welcome aboard, hope his dreams can be fulfilled.
I’ve watched Mockobee play several times. He’s an explosive athlete.

I was surprised that he was going to Annapolis. Nothing against them, but I thought he belonged in P5. He had committed there after his junior season and I think he just developed a lot over the past year - so he was kind of flying under the radar.

I think he’ll end up being a steal for Brohm.

Just watched his highlights. It's nice to see him score long touchdowns both going untouched and also breaking tackles. Hopefully he will do the same at Purdue.

Welcome aboard, Mockobee.

Highlight film very impressive. Great to get another Zander Horvath (different type of back for sure) steal from the Hoosier state. Would be interesting if another under the radar walk-on becomes a starter for Purdue! We'll see.

I’ve watched Mockobee play several times. He’s an explosive athlete.

I was surprised that he was going to Annapolis. Nothing against them, but I thought he belonged in P5. He had committed there after his junior season and I think he just developed a lot over the past year - so he was kind of flying under the radar.

I think he’ll end up being a steal for Brohm.
Out of curiosity, would you say Mockobee is a diamond in the rough? If so, hope he stays healthy and finds a way to contribute early.

I mean this feels like a win/win for all involved. We convinced a 3 star commit to Navy to flip to be a PWO. No scholarship burned for next year and we get a kid with really good HS numbers to come. Plus he said we were always his top choice so now he gets a chance to come and prove himself. More depth at rb is always a good thing.

Out of curiosity, would you say Mockobee is a diamond in the rough? If so, hope he stays healthy and finds a way to contribute early.
It’s hard to say. I’m not sure he’s already at the level to play a lot of snaps as a true freshman in the B10. But that’s no knock on him — few are.

But I do think he’ll be a solid contributor sooner rather than later.

Reactions: JohnsyRick
I mean this feels like a win/win for all involved. We convinced a 3 star commit to Navy to flip to be a PWO. No scholarship burned for next year and we get a kid with really good HS numbers to come. Plus he said we were always his top choice so now he gets a chance to come and prove himself. More depth at rb is always a good thing.
Speak for yourself.. the chuck spiegal backers are not pleased

Speak for yourself.. the chuck spiegal backers are not pleased
I'm happy for our RB's that we got. As for the other young man, depth chart or not, he'll be around on the field to be a thorn in sides of some teams. I hope it isn't Purdue. Spring ball he got high praise from their RB coach Deland McCullough. See link

Deland's words not mine

For the record, New Pal coach Kyle Ralph (former D1 OL for North Carolina) will likely not be a lean to Purdue for 2023 OL Luke Burgess. If WI goes scholarship, forget it, he'll go there. If it comes down to PU and IU, you can likely bank on IU unless Luke has an education specialty that Purdue is better at. That might be our only saving grace.

I'm happy for our RB's that we got. As for the other young man, depth chart or not, he'll be around on the field to be a thorn in sides of some teams. I hope it isn't Purdue. Spring ball he got high praise from their RB coach Deland McCullough. See link

Deland's words not mine

For the record, New Pal coach Kyle Ralph (former D1 OL for North Carolina) will likely not be a lean to Purdue for 2023 OL Luke Burgess. If WI goes scholarship, forget it, he'll go there. If it comes down to PU and IU, you can likely bank on IU unless Luke has an education specialty that Purdue is better at. That might be our only saving grace.
Wow.

DUDE!

With that tweet, no doubt he's a starter.

FER SURE!

*WTH...*

Edit: Did you see the replies to that tweet?! He's going to score three... FIVE touchdowns against us.

He’s as strong as an Ox and can break a tackle. Red Zone material. Even 1/2 as good as Alstott would still be dangerous.
Keep laughing. I say he finds some playing time this year.
the "laughing" is at your unending obsession with a kid who, by any and all measures, was not worthy of a scholarship offer to Purdue or any other P5 school ... one who chose to be a walk on for a program like IU.

The "laughing' is at the idea you would invoke the name of a stud... an absolute LEGEND... Mike Alstott... in an attempt to justify your obsession.

This kid ain't Mike Alstott. Not even close. Couldn't carry Alstott's jock. Isn't worthy of even being in a conversation in which Mike Alstott is mentioned. It's lunacy.

Dude... this isn't healthy for you. Let him go.

Reactions: bonefish1
the "laughing" is at your unending obsession with a kid who, by any and all measures, was not worthy of a scholarship offer to Purdue or any other P5 school ... one who chose to be a walk on for a program like IU.

The "laughing' is at the idea you would invoke the name of a stud... an absolute LEGEND... Mike Alstott... in an attempt to justify your obsession.

This kid ain't Mike Alstott. Not even close. Couldn't carry Alstott's jock. Isn't worthy of even being in a conversation in which Mike Alstott is mentioned. It's lunacy.

Dude... this isn't healthy for you. Let him go.
Dude, we each have opinions. You won’t change mine. Not obsessed, just keeping track so that when he performs, I’ll kick some shit your way.

Last edited:
Dude, we each have opinions. You won’t change mine. Not obsessed, just keeping track so that when he performs, I’ll kick some shit your way.
Dude... you can claim you're not obsessed with him, but when you write this you don't help yourself...

Not obsessed, just keeping track so that when he performs, I’ll kick some shit your way.

A silly little tweet after some random practice performance, and he's Alstott 2.0, will be "a thorn in our side", and on and on.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: for your sake (on this forum) I hope he does ... "perform". If he's what most everyone else thinks he is, these posts of yours are going to look really bad. And, no, I won't "kick some sh*t your way" when that happens. I hope everyone is gracious about it.

For his sake I wish him nothing but the best, and I hope he turns into as much the stud as you've invested yourself.

For you to drone on and on like you do is every indication of an obsession.

Highlight film very impressive. Great to get another Zander Horvath (different type of back for sure) steal from the Hoosier state. Would be interesting if another under the radar walk-on becomes a starter for Purdue! We'll see.
Dude... you can claim you're not obsessed with him, but when you write this you don't help yourself...

Not obsessed, just keeping track so that when he performs, I’ll kick some shit your way.

A silly little tweet after some random practice performance, and he's Alstott 2.0, will be "a thorn in our side", and on and on.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: for your sake (on this forum) I hope he does ... "perform". If he's what most everyone else thinks he is, these posts of yours are going to look really bad. And, no, I won't "kick some sh*t your way" when that happens. I hope everyone is gracious about it.

For his sake I wish him nothing but the best, and I hope he turns into as much the stud as you've invested yourself.

For you to drone on and on like you do is every indication of an obsession.
Notice: I don’t start these conversations. I comment after the haters (you in particular start clowning on him). Mocking me and saying trash about obsession doesn’t help your cause. I verify some news and you say I’m obsessed…ok got it.
I’ve eaten some crow on this regarding scholarship, but I’ll be damned if you and others won’t hear me crow later on when “not if” he performs. Done, good night.

one who chose to be a walk on for a program like IU.

Not to get into your Spegal spat…but I will come to IU Football’s defense.

Granted, we’ve historically been among the weakest programs in the B10. And I’m certainly not ready to call us permanently legit. But we have been to 2 consecutive January bowl games…ended this past regular season with just one loss, a close one to #3 OSU.

It would be hard to overstate Tom Allen’s job performance.

Notice: I don’t start these conversations. I comment after the haters (you in particular start clowning on him). Mocking me and saying trash about obsession doesn’t help your cause. I verify some news and you say I’m obsessed…ok got it.
I’ve eaten some crow on this regarding scholarship, but I’ll be damned if you and others won’t hear me crow later on when “not if” he performs. Done, good night.
Notice: Not one thing you've posted changes my points.

What's more, I've never been "clowning on him", and to even suggest that is sheer stupidity. Mocking you? Dude, you're a self-mockery.

I sure do hope you're done, as you stated. Every post just gets more odd.

Not to get into your Spegal spat…but I will come to IU Football’s defense.

Granted, we’ve historically been among the weakest programs in the B10. And I’m certainly not ready to call us permanently legit. But we have been to 2 consecutive January bowl games…ended this past regular season with just one loss, a close one to #3 OSU.

It would be hard to overstate Tom Allen’s job performance.
There is no "Spegal spat", just some really over-the-top fan posts.

I'm not jumping on IU, but you are correct, in a sense.

IU is not just historically one of the B1G's weakest, but one of the weakest in the nation.

What's more, "January bowl games" don't mean as much anymore. The season gets longer and longer, pushing more and more bowl games into January. What's more, it's not just ending this past season with a (bowl) loss, it's been 31 years.

Notice: Not one thing you've posted changes my points.

What's more, I've never been "clowning on him", and to even suggest that is sheer stupidity. Mocking you? Dude, you're a self-mockery.

I sure do hope you're done, as you stated. Every post just gets more odd.
Done with you that is for sure. Your an ass behind the keyboard, but I doubt you would be face to face.

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
Done with you that is for sure. Your an ass behind the keyboard, but I doubt you would be face to face.
So, be done. My points remain, which you haven't refuted.

You think that makes me "an ass behind the keyboard", but I'm simply challenging your positions. That's it. Your latest response displays the weakness of your positions.

And, yes, I'd do that face to face. I don't harbor any animosity toward you. You're simply over-the-top with the love for Charlie. I don't dislike you, and there's no need to escalate this in that manner.

So, be done. My points remain, which you haven't refuted.

You think that makes me "an ass behind the keyboard", but I'm simply challenging your positions. That's it. Your latest response displays the weakness of your positions.

And, yes, I'd do that face to face. I don't harbor any animosity toward you. You're simply over-the-top with the love for Charlie. I don't dislike you, and there's no need to escalate this in that manner.
Your over thinking it. Simply put your an ass when arguing. I never said I’d escalate it. I’m 55 yrs old, and my days of dust ups are long gone.
Still doubt you’d act like that face to face in a social setting. Not a good look among peers and friends.

Your over thinking it. Simply put your an ass when arguing. I never said I’d escalate it. I’m 55 yrs old, and my days of dust ups are long gone.
Still doubt you’d act like that face to face in a social setting. Not a good look among peers and friends.
Not over thinking at all. You're giving every appearance of being obsessed over someone who hasn't earned it. Yet.

You continue to harp on this issue. The kid could turn out to be Mike Alstott 2.0, as you've asserted. That's bizarre. It's without basis. There's absolutely ZERO evidence to suggest that. It's wishful thinking, at best, but there's no denying, that's really out there.

I would absolutely have this conversation face to face, and make every point I've made to you. There's nothing I've stated I would hesitate to say face to face, and no reason not to.

It has nothing to do with a good look or not, other than how you've handled being challenged on your wild assessment.

I wish the kid the best. You've already got him torching us. You're taking a random statement on Twatter and used that as evidence that he's a stud ready to break out. All the P5 and mid-major coaches and recruiters disagree with you.

Not over thinking at all. You're giving every appearance of being obsessed over someone who hasn't earned it. Yet.

You continue to harp on this issue. The kid could turn out to be Mike Alstott 2.0, as you've asserted. That's bizarre. It's without basis. There's absolutely ZERO evidence to suggest that. It's wishful thinking, at best, but there's no denying, that's really out there.

I would absolutely have this conversation face to face, and make every point I've made to you. There's nothing I've stated I would hesitate to say face to face, and no reason not to.

It has nothing to do with a good look or not, other than how you've handled being challenged on your wild assessment.

I wish the kid the best. You've already got him torching us. You're taking a random statement on Twatter and used that as evidence that he's a stud ready to break out. All the P5 and mid-major coaches and recruiters disagree with you.
Wrong. There is a difference between performer and torching us. Your lengthy diatribes illustrate your own obsession with always trying to be right. Sad.

Wrong. There is a difference between performer and torching us. Your lengthy diatribes illustrate your own obsession with always trying to be right. Sad.
You can have all the sads you like, you compared him to Mike Alstott.

It's not an issue of being right. You're obsessing over someone none of the P5 and mid-major recruiters and coaches wanted to offer a scholarship. That's not about being right, it's just what is.

You can have all the sads you like, you compared him to Mike Alstott.

It's not an issue of being right. You're obsessing over someone none of the P5 and mid-major recruiters and coaches wanted to offer a scholarship. That's not about being right, it's just what is.
I’m thinking you’re obsessed with wanting to be right and nobody else can have an opinion. Enjoy your weekend.

Anyone who claims to know Spegal is going to fail or not make an impact is full of crap as many unheralded players from small and even D2 schools prove that evaluators can be wrong each year by not only making an impact but going to the NFL each year.

Anyone who claims to know Spegal is going to succeed or make an impact is also full of crap as many 3, 4, and even 5 star players prove each year by failing to ever see the field.

What I know is, if Purdue missed on him then everyone missed on him. Our rb position looked very different last year with at least 2 established starting caliber backs and two much more highly recruited and rated backs already here or committed. Spegal could have walked on at Purdue last year I am sure. I am also sure that if Purdue could have predicted the future they might have went after him (or likely some even higher rated) much harder.

But now we find ourselves in need of depth at rb now and we landed a back who is higher rated than Spegal was last year as a PWO and who said Purdue was his number one choice. I for one am excited to see what Mr. Mockabee can do and no matter how the Spegal’s career turns out I will have no regrets on how Purdue pursued him or did not.

As to throwing anything in anyone’s face, it would be dumb because as I said above, both sides predicting incredible success or failure is full of crap and if ultimately proven correct, it will be luck and not some eye for talent.

I’m thinking you’re obsessed with wanting to be right and nobody else can have an opinion. Enjoy your weekend.
Not in the least. You're trying too hard to make that case, seemingly in an effort to change the narrative.

I (and others) have simply pointed out the folly of: one, obsessing over this kid, a very well known HS player that no P5 or mid-major chose to offer a scholarship ... and two, suggesting (without any "evidence" to back it up) that he is somehow going to prove all those people wrong and become the next "Mike Alstott".

Again, I wish the kid the best and hope he does well.

I hope you have an enjoyable weekend, as well.

Anyone who claims to know Spegal is going to fail or not make an impact is full of crap as many unheralded players from small and even D2 schools prove that evaluators can be wrong each year by not only making an impact but going to the NFL each year.

Anyone who claims to know Spegal is going to succeed or make an impact is also full of crap as many 3, 4, and even 5 star players prove each year by failing to ever see the field.

What I know is, if Purdue missed on him then everyone missed on him. Our rb position looked very different last year with at least 2 established starting caliber backs and two much more highly recruited and rated backs already here or committed. Spegal could have walked on at Purdue last year I am sure. I am also sure that if Purdue could have predicted the future they might have went after him (or likely some even higher rated) much harder.

But now we find ourselves in need of depth at rb now and we landed a back who is higher rated than Spegal was last year as a PWO and who said Purdue was his number one choice. I for one am excited to see what Mr. Mockabee can do and no matter how the Spegal’s career turns out I will have no regrets on how Purdue pursued him or did not.

As to throwing anything in anyone’s face, it would be dumb because as I said above, both sides predicting incredible success or failure is full of crap and if ultimately proven correct, it will be luck and not some eye for talent.
Well written, but I'm not sure who's predicting Spegal's failure.

Well written, but I'm not sure who's predicting Spegal's failure.

Perhaps not. I was trying not to speak to anyone in particular, but go from memory off of the 1000s of comments in now 20ish threads that have derailed into this.

My bigger point is that I am super excited to see what Mr. Mockabee can do. He seems to be a super athletic kid who really wanted to be at Purdue.

ADVERTISEMENT