ADVERTISEMENT

Wednesday we find out if IU is a Paper Tiger

IU's schedule will definitely get harder starting tonight, but your definition of "cupcakes" is a bit disingenuous. I generally consider teams in the 250+ range as cupcakes.

Current Kenpom rankings:

Florida A&M: 359
New Orleans: 340
Millwaukee: 273
Austin Peay: 247
FSU: 164
Hofstra: 124
Davidson: 120

Kennesaw State: 216
Morehead State: 255
Miami (OH): 271
Jackson St.: 316
Bethune Cookman: 326
Little Rock: 328
Elon: 344

That would be 5 or 6 cupcakes versus 3 or 4 cupcakes.
Wow: Hofstra has a decent team? That's a surprise - never seen them that well thought of before.

A win over Duke tells us nothing about Purdue because they've dropped like rocks in the polls.
Luckily, we have the Marquette win which is becoming a really solid win.

Gonzaga will soon enter conference play, so won't find out anything about them until NCAA tournament.

IU's schedule will definitely get harder starting tonight, but your definition of "cupcakes" is a bit disingenuous. I generally consider teams in the 250+ range as cupcakes.

Current Kenpom rankings:

I'd consider all of those cupcakes. The NET rankings won't, but none of those mean anything in the grand scheme of things. None of them are anything to brag about. The biggest difference between the two is that Purdue was part of a tourney this year, Indiana was not.

Luckily, we have the Marquette win which is becoming a really solid win.

Gonzaga will soon enter conference play, so won't find out anything about them until NCAA tournament.
That Marquette game just proves how great this college season could turn out being... Or Marquette ends up being like Indiana under Archie... Blow out Marquette and FSU in different years and suck after.

FSU has been a clear disappointment this year. I am sure even FSU fans agree. However, when scheduled, I doubt anyone would have classified FSU as a cupcake.

Reactions: delarno
But ..... But ..... But .... It's IU!!! Bluebloods???
The use of the term "blueblood" has always amazed me. It originated in referring to European nobility. However, that nobility was very in-bred and subject to genetic disease, mental disorders and general incompetence in governance. I do not get why people today would prefer to be classified as one of them.

The use of the term "blueblood" has always amazed me. It originated in referring to European nobility. However, that nobility was very in-bred and subject to genetic disease, mental disorders and general incompetence in governance. I do not get why people today would prefer to be classified as one of them.
So you're saying the term applies specifically to IU and its' fans. There's not a more in-bred group anywhere!

Do they start threads about Purdue on other forums if Purdue is not playing their team?
If I were to go to the Clemson board would there be a thread talking about purdue playing fsu?

Do we really need to spend half of our life worrying about how good or bad IU basketball is? Why are boilermakers so obsessed with IU? And for that matter, msu?

I’m surprised we haven’t started a who did IU recruit this year thread. Maybe I missed it.
You have posted in the past that you spend time on other team's boards. Why don't you tell us?

You are correct. IU claims they are bluebloods. Who am I to doubt their claim?

Do they start threads about Purdue on other forums if Purdue is not playing their team?
If I were to go to the Clemson board would there be a thread talking about purdue playing fsu?

Do we really need to spend half of our life worrying about how good or bad IU basketball is? Why are boilermakers so obsessed with IU? And for that matter, msu?

I’m surprised we haven’t started a who did IU recruit this year thread. Maybe I missed it.
A couple of things in play here. First, IU retained everyone and added some star power. IU should be the team to beat for the BIG. Purdue on the other hand lost 5 out of their top 7 last year and replaced them with four freshman and a senior transfer. Generally, this much youth doesn't fare well.

However, the Purdue team even with their youth may have improved a bit quicker than many thought and are fun to watch grow. Because of the play of Purdue, many fans are wondering just how good is this team going to be and what was once considered a middle of the Big team this year may surprise some.

Then there are just some Indiana taxpayers that pay taxes for athletics at IU and keep track of the ROI...

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Outstanding post...

Reactions: Schnelk and tjreese

Current Kenpom rankings:

who when scheduled thought FSU would be a potential cupcake?

Wow: Hofstra has a decent team? That's a surprise - never seen them that well thought of before.

I think 3 or 4 years ago they were one of the last undefeated teams (or something like that), but other than that I agree and was surprised they were that highly regarded by analytics.

You have people identify as an IU fan and they have buildings dedicated to Kinsey. Just one of those things that make you go hmmnnnnn

Well let's see...
Purdue's cupcakes...
Milwaukee, Austin Peay, Florida State, Hofstra, Davidson, New Orleans, Florida A&M.

Indiana's cupcakes....
Morehead State, Bethune-Cookman, Miami(OH), Little Rock, Jackson State, Elon, Kennesaw State

Interesting... 7 a piece...

Purdue got their big games with Marquette, West Virginia, #14 Gonzaga, #17 Duke.

Indiana has their big games with AT Xavier, #18 North Carolina, #4 Arizona, AT #8 Kansas
If you had half a brain (which you don’t) Purdue had zero input on the fsu game. Currently iu’s non conference is ranked 355. That is absolutely embarrassing and never prepares them for conference play. Now run along skippy the adults are discussing basketball.

Reactions: Schnelk
Yeah, we should use KP for Nov/early Dec games in February...

All analytics are better with more data, but we don't have more data so what else can we use?
True. Kenpom even tells us not to take it serious until md conference. Hell even the early ap/coaches polls are suspect.

Actually your post describes them perfectly. They truly are a blueblood. I’m just saying.

A couple of things in play here. First, IU retained everyone and added some star power. IU should be the team to beat for the BIG. Purdue on the other hand lost 5 out of their top 7 last year and replaced them with four freshman and a senior transfer. Generally, this much youth doesn't fare well.

However, the Purdue team even with their youth may have improved a bit quicker than many thought and are fun to watch grow. Because of the play of Purdue, many fans are wondering just how good is this team going to be and what was once considered a middle of the Big team this year may surprise some.

Then there are just some Indiana taxpayers that pay taxes for athletics at IU and keep track of the ROI...
Only issue with that argument, they were not exactly a juggernaut last year having to go the play in route to even get the field of 64. They finished in the bottom half of the Big with a losing record, even. So, returning everyone isn't exactly impressive and everyone added some good players to their rosters.

With what we lost, I get us not starting out ranked.

Reactions: Schnelk and tjreese
I couldn't imagine a life where all I do is compare to how my rival did... Little brother syndrome is SKRONG.
I'm not going to argue there was a time that I was always comparing PU to IU. But that has changed over the last 10 years or so. I have friends that are huge IU fans and they will talk about their team and I really don't get very involved in it. I just really don't care that much about them anymore. I get fired up twice a year when we play them of course. But outside of those 2 games/days I really am ambivalent to that team. Let's be honest, it really hasn't been that much of a rivalry or close for quite some time. Maybe if IU gets relevant again, I will pay more attention to them outside of 2 days a year.

I couldn't imagine a life where all I do is compare to how my rival did... Little brother syndrome is SKRONG.
I've never considered IU as a brother or family. IU is more like the halfwit that your third cousin brings to a family reunion to show that she can get a date.

• Haha
Only issue with that argument, they were not exactly a juggernaut last year having to go the play in route to even get the field of 64. They finished in the bottom half of the Big with a losing record, even. So, returning everyone isn't exactly impressive and everyone added some good players to their rosters.

With what we lost, I get us not starting out ranked.
What is interesting is that last year IU actually started out as ranked in the preseason polls. I recently looked that up. They were generally ranked in the 14 range of the Top 25. They had a losing B1G record and barely made the tournament and then got smacked hard out of it. That was a huge underperformance.

It is also interesting that in the recent polling of top coaches, Woodson's name is nowhere to be found. Yet the IU brethren claim that Painter is not a good coach, but he is ranked in the top group by media. Not a very consistent position.

What is interesting is that last year IU actually started out as ranked in the preseason polls. I recently looked that up. They were generally ranked in the 14 range of the Top 25. They had a losing B1G record and barely made the tournament and then got smacked hard out of it. That was a huge underperformance.

It is also interesting that in the recent polling of top coaches, Woodson's name is nowhere to be found. Yet the IU brethren claim that Painter is not a good coach, but he is ranked in the top group by media. Not a very consistent position.
Indiana wasn't ranked at any point last year. At most would have gotten a few votes at different points. Highest they reached was like 27th or 28th and then they'd lose.

They were never ranked last season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT