ADVERTISEMENT

Wednesday we find out if IU is a Paper Tiger

Jul 30, 2019
IU's strength of schedule is 355/362 after their win over Jackson State.

IU's opponents have a collective record(excl game vs IU) of 14-19 42% win percentage.

Purdue's is 30-8 80% win percentage to compare.

In typical Hoosier fashion they're padding their win % in a cowardly fashion.

In Bloomington celebrations to crown IU as champions have already begun.

I've spoken to an alarming number of IU alums who tell me quite seriously that IU is a championship contender and will likely win it all.

But tomorrow they play North Carolina and they won't be able to hide anymore.

Predictions?

Last edited:

Predictions?
They do the same thing in football, so it is not surprising they do it in basketball. They do really well pre BT schedule, and they get a reality check once the conference schedule rolls around.

Predictions?
IU by 7-8.

Reactions: oldboiler52
They do the same thing in football, so it is not surprising they do it in basketball. They do really well pre BT schedule, and they get a reality check once the conference schedule rolls around.
It's probably better to play a more difficult schedule even if you take some losses. Otherwise you adjust to beating down teams where you're far more athletic and develop bad habits.

I've spoken to an alarming number of IU alums who tell me quite seriously that IU is a championship contender and will likely win it all.

Predictions?
It is at IU! Jesus, Joseph, Mary, Peter, and John would have a hard time walking out of ass hall with a W. Kentucky will play them anywhere except IU. Do you not remember IU fans and cheerleaders lunging towards Smooge as he was shooting in a game? People sit so close to the court that players have to keep watching down to make sure they don't trip over someones feet.

Perhaps a bit of hyperbole with Jesus, Joseph, Mary, Peter and John, but the Hall of Calls as noted across the Big is tough for anyone. I'll bid 9 flexes by TJD and one nut grab by X for an IU win by 7 without any idea what the line is? This should help Purdues Kenpom later in the season...

Flip a coin. Two horribly overrated teams. It will probably be brutal to watch. At least bo borowski won’t be calling the game giving them every call.

It is at IU! Jesus, Joseph, Mary, Peter, and John would have a hard time walking out of ass hall with a W. Kentucky will play them anywhere except IU. Do you not remember IU fans and cheerleaders lunging towards Smooge as he was shooting in a game? People sit so close to the court that players have to keep watching down to make sure they don't trip over someones feet.

Perhaps a bit of hyperbole with Jesus, Joseph, Mary, Peter and John, but the Hall of Calls as noted across the Big is tough for anyone. I'll bid 9 flexes by TJD and one nut grab by X for an IU win by 7 without any idea what the line is? This should help Purdues Kenpom later in the season...
I remember an IU fan in overalls lunging toward Chad Austin as he nailed a game winning 3-pointer!

Reactions: Schnelk and tjreese

IU's opponents have a collective record(excl game vs IU) of 14-19 42% win percentage.

Purdue's is 30-8 80% win percentage to compare.

Predictions?
Their going to be playing an angry NC team after that loss.

Reactions: Schnelk
To be fair their non-con is back loaded with Arizona and Kansas on tap after UNC. @ Xavier was a solid win too and might end up a Quad 1 win.

I agree though that IU fans with Final 4 hopes need to pump the breaks. Their returning guys have an abysmal combined career conference record, especially when you factor in the losing pedigrees Johnson and Kopp brought in. You can't argue with the talent, but this collection of players has yet to prove they can be consistently above average against high majors. Time will tell if they've grown up or they are who we thought they were.

I'd be shocked if they lose tomorrow. It will be a crazy atmosphere similar to when Purdue rolled in last year.

Reactions: Do Dah Day

Line is NC +6.5. Nice call!

Reactions: tjreese
I could care less but would be happy with an IU win for the challenge. Knowing them they will probably lose to a better program

IU has everything going for it in this game but I think UNC keeps it close at the end. The line seems about right.

Well let's see...
Purdue's cupcakes...
Milwaukee, Austin Peay, Florida State, Hofstra, Davidson, New Orleans, Florida A&M.

Indiana's cupcakes....
Morehead State, Bethune-Cookman, Miami(OH), Little Rock, Jackson State, Elon, Kennesaw State

Interesting... 7 a piece...

Purdue got their big games with Marquette, West Virginia, #14 Gonzaga, #17 Duke.

Indiana has their big games with AT Xavier, #18 North Carolina, #4 Arizona, AT #8 Kansas

NC might be the paper tigers. Not looking like the team that won it all last year and more like the one we beat early last season.

Should be a good game but I think IU pulls it out.

iu @ home. The refs help them stay underated there this year if at all possible.......with the only possible losses when Purdue & AZ roll into town.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Loosiers should win by at least 15. UNC will be dog tired after 4 OTs and are no where near where they were at the end of the season last year.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Do they start threads about Purdue on other forums if Purdue is not playing their team?
If I were to go to the Clemson board would there be a thread talking about purdue playing fsu?

Do we really need to spend half of our life worrying about how good or bad IU basketball is? Why are boilermakers so obsessed with IU? And for that matter, msu?

I’m surprised we haven’t started a who did IU recruit this year thread. Maybe I missed it.

Do they start threads about Purdue on other forums if Purdue is not playing their team?
If I were to go to the Clemson board would there be a thread talking about purdue playing fsu?

Do we really need to spend half of our life worrying about how good or bad IU basketball is? Why are boilermakers so obsessed with IU? And for that matter, msu?

I’m surprised we haven’t started a who did IU recruit this year thread. Maybe I missed it.
Uhhhh.... No. At least not on BtownBanners. Purdue gets thrown in under the general college basketball thread. Which nicely keeps things organized.

Well let's see...
Purdue's cupcakes...
Milwaukee, Austin Peay, Florida State, Hofstra, Davidson, New Orleans, Florida A&M.

Indiana's cupcakes....
Morehead State, Bethune-Cookman, Miami(OH), Little Rock, Jackson State, Elon, Kennesaw State

Interesting... 7 a piece...

Purdue got their big games with Marquette, West Virginia, #14 Gonzaga, #17 Duke.

Indiana has their big games with AT Xavier, #18 North Carolina, #4 Arizona, AT #8 Kansas
IU's schedule will definitely get harder starting tonight, but your definition of "cupcakes" is a bit disingenuous. I generally consider teams in the 250+ range as cupcakes.

Current Kenpom rankings:

Florida A&M: 359
New Orleans: 340
Millwaukee: 273
Austin Peay: 247
FSU: 164
Hofstra: 124
Davidson: 120

Kennesaw State: 216
Morehead State: 255
Miami (OH): 271
Jackson St.: 316
Bethune Cookman: 326
Little Rock: 328
Elon: 344

That would be 5 or 6 cupcakes versus 3 or 4 cupcakes.

ADVERTISEMENT