ADVERTISEMENT

Way to early 2018 Top 25

Jbigler1986

Redshirt Freshman
Mar 16, 2015
They have UCF as the number 21 team. What the hell is wrong with these people. They should at the very least be in the top 10. What do I know though? Nothing

Reactions: Purdue85
CBS has Purdue #21 in their way too early polls.
#4 - O$U
#5 - MSU
#6 - Penn St
#7 - Wisconsin
#14 - Michigan

I didn't like this comment:

Jeff Brohm remains one of the hottest coaches in the country. Don't be surprised if his second season in West Lafayette is his last season.

Reactions: Purdue11
#4 - O$U
#5 - MSU
#6 - Penn St
#7 - Wisconsin
#14 - Michigan

Jeff Brohm remains one of the hottest coaches in the country. Don't be surprised if his second season in West Lafayette is his last season.
psu has an easy schedule, their two toughest games are at home although back to back w/ a bye in the middle. They will prolly be in the final 4 and most likely the title game.

They have UCF as the number 21 team. What the hell is wrong with these people. They should at the very least be in the top 10. What do I know though? Nothing

It's simply not enough for a program to play a cupcake schedule and go undefeated. All it means is that they played better than all those poor programs.

Nice accomplishment, no doubt. But certainly not an indication they're anything close to a top-10 team.

It's simply not enough for a program to play a cupcake schedule and go undefeated. All it means is that they played better than all those poor programs.

Nice accomplishment, no doubt. But certainly not an indication they're anything close to a top-10 team.

Oh come on. They beat Auburn, who beat Alabama and Georgia. I know the transitive property is mostly useless, and agree that UCF is not a top ten team next year without Frost, but this year? This year UCF was definitely a top ten team. Preseason #21 seems reasonable.

Oh come on. They beat Auburn, who beat Alabama and Georgia. I know the transitive property is mostly useless, and agree that UCF is not a top ten team next year without Frost, but this year? This year UCF was definitely a top ten team. Preseason #21 seems reasonable.

You made an argument then took it away in the same sentence. that's not convincing.

yes. They had a good season. "But," will always be used as a qualifier.

Sagarin had them 13th. That's probably appropriate. Their SOS sucked (72nd, and nobody in the top 30 had anything below the 50's SOS). They won, yes. But, didn't earn a shot at the national title, regardless how you daisy-chain games. It was one quality win.

no, they were not 'definitely a top ten team'.

You can make them a top ten team, if you're handing out top ten status, but there's no way they survive and have a season like that when playing a grueling P5 schedule.

Reactions: Dakota Girl
You made an argument then took it away in the same sentence. that's not convincing.

yes. They had a good season. "But," will always be used as a qualifier.

Sagarin had them 13th. That's probably appropriate. Their SOS sucked (72nd, and nobody in the top 30 had anything below the 50's SOS). They won, yes. But, didn't earn a shot at the national title, regardless how you daisy-chain games. It was one quality win.

no, they were not 'definitely a top ten team'.

You can make them a top ten team, if you're handing out top ten status, but there's no way they survive and have a season like that when playing a grueling P5 schedule.

You don’t even need to go that far. The SOLE reason they were undefeated is now in Lincoln, Nebraska. There is no basis to put them in the top ten next year

Reactions: Purdue85
Argue all you want about UCF but because several of the 100-or-so NCAA-affiliated rating systems had them #1 they are Officially Recognized as National Champion by the NCAA this season...

Argue all you want about UCF but because several of the 100-or-so NCAA-affiliated rating systems had them #1 they are Officially Recognized as National Champion by the NCAA this season...

They're not NC. Not even close.

You don't schedule a box full of cupcakes, then play 1 bowl game and knock off what amounts to the 3rd place team from a P5 conference, then beat your chest as NC.

This UCF talk has become bizarre.

A fine, fine team, yes. NC? Goodness. Otherwise sane and rational people have seemingly gone mad.

Their SOS is in the fifties. Not terrible and they won 3 or 4 games against the top 20. Deserves to at least be in the top 10

They're not NC. Not even close.

You don't schedule a box full of cupcakes, then play 1 bowl game and knock off what amounts to the 3rd place team from a P5 conference, then beat your chest as NC.

This UCF talk has become bizarre.

A fine, fine team, yes. NC? Goodness. Otherwise sane and rational people have seemingly gone mad.

20742_847431762842_6721198_n.jpg

A little comparison.
Wins vs Top 25: 4-4
Wins vs 10+ Win Teams: 4-3 UCF
Wins vs Common Opponents: 1-0 UCF
Divisional Titles: 1-UCF
Conference Titles: 1-UCF

Irregardless of if you think they’re worthy of not, they Were crowned champion by the Colley Matrix, one of polls, rankings and formulas recognized by the NCAA in its list of “national champion major selections.”
They are National Champions and Officially Recognized as such by the NCAA whether you want them to be or not...

Reactions: Inspector100
20742_847431762842_6721198_n.jpg

A little comparison.
Wins vs Top 25: 4-4
Wins vs 10+ Win Teams: 4-3 UCF
Wins vs Common Opponents: 1-0 UCF
Divisional Titles: 1-UCF
Conference Titles: 1-UCF

Irregardless of if you think they’re worthy of not, they Were crowned champion by the Colley Matrix, one of polls, rankings and formulas recognized by the NCAA in its list of “national champion major selections.”
They are National Champions and Officially Recognized as such by the NCAA whether you want them to be or not...

They're not in Sagarin's top 10, but they're allegedly now some fictional National Champion?

Yes, and that Nigerian Prince has some money waiting for me!

#4 - O$U
#5 - MSU
#6 - Penn St
#7 - Wisconsin
#14 - Michigan

Yeah, I get tired of the insinuation that Purdue is a bad job and that there are that many that are better. Administration is on board and we are in the freaking Big. Win the Big and you should be in the playoffs.

Yeah, I get tired of the insinuation that Purdue is a bad job and that there are that many that are better. Administration is on board and we are in the freaking Big. Win the Big and you should be in the playoffs.

Well, let's face it....Purdue isn't a "destination" job. We have only won 10 games once in our football history, 9 wins is a miracle season ....and 8 wins is considered a banner year. The truth is were a 5-6 team and occasionally a 6 or 7 win team that goes to a bowl...that's it. We'll never consistently get the talent to compete for a B10 Championship or a National Championship. Good coaches want the opportunity to at least have the chance to get in the playoffs....Brohm isn't stupid....Purdue is just his stepping stone. Just a enjoy the ride while it last.

Last edited:
Reactions: PaBoiler78
Well, let's face it....Purdue isn't a "destination" job. We have only won 10 games once in our football history, 9 wins is a miracle season ....and 8 wins is considered a banner year. The truth is were a 5-6 team and occasionally a 6 or 7 win team that goes to a bowl...that's it. We'll never consistently get the talent to compete for a B10 Championship or a National Championship. Good coaches want the opportunity to at least have the chance to get in the playoffs....Brohm isn't stupid....Purdue is just his stepping stone. Just a enjoy the ride while it last.

If you win, and the university supports you, you absolutely can build it up and contend. And you aren't going to get a better chance at making the playoffs than the Big Ten especially playing in the West division.

The only three coaches to leave the sidelines for Purdue are Jack Mollenkohf, Jim Young, and Joe Tiller. Mollenkohf was forced out over a state law about age. Jim Young left Purdue and then became head coach at Army. And Joe Tiller was forced into what I call early retirement. All the rest were fired. All this in the last 48 years. The position of Purdue Head Football Coach appears to me to be a destination place. Now, you don't know Coach Brohm. So you can not make a statement with any sort of true confidence that he is using Purdue as a stepping stone. I don't want to challenge your fandom as a Purdue supporter but you do post in a real Debbie Downer sort of way.

Can someone please explain to me what a "destination job" is?

In 1990-ish, was Wisconsin a "Destination Job"? Barry Alvarez thought so, and put Wisconsin football on today's football map.

In 1980-ish was Iowa a "Destination Job"? Hayden Fry thought so, and put Iowa football on today's football map.

The list could go on, but this is absurd. Most people I know don't aspire to work for the "top" company in their particular field. They want a challenging career that compensates them fairly, challenges them and gives them the resources necessary. In 2018 that's Purdue football.

So why assume such nonsense for a college football coach?

Most people posting on this forum don't: A) seek out, and B) jump at the first chance to earn $1 more. That's a fact. So, why are so many people ascribing that value to Jeff Brohm, who has displayed no penchant for that lifestyle? It's astonishing. Why not let Jeff Brohm decide what is his "destination job" is?

The only three coaches to leave the sidelines for Purdue are Jack Mollenkohf, Jim Young, and Joe Tiller. Mollenkohf was forced out over a state law about age. Jim Young left Purdue and then became head coach at Army. And Joe Tiller was forced into what I call early retirement. All the rest were fired. All this in the last 48 years. The position of Purdue Head Football Coach appears to me to be a destination place. Now, you don't know Coach Brohm. So you can not make a statement with any sort of true confidence that he is using Purdue as a stepping stone. I don't want to challenge your fandom as a Purdue supporter but you do post in a real Debbie Downer sort of way.

Home run post. Well done.

Actually, Jim Young did not leave as Purdue head coach for head coach at Army. He was first some sort of Associate AD at Purdue. Jim had to step down from coaching for a while and then when he was able to go back to coaching he had to go somewhere else.

KSU was a national joke football program until Bill Snyder took over and built it up. They have been nationally ranked many times and he is still there, though he did retire once and then un-retire. If a coach is happy where he is and is paid well with university and fan support it is not a done deal that he will leave for a more prominent job.

Purdue can easily get national exposure with a good team that is fun to watch. We have already seen that in the early ranking. Has there been a recently ranked team that had the record that we had two years ago? (excepting MSU as 2016 was a outlier for them in their recent history.)

Actually, Jim Young did not leave as Purdue head coach for head coach at Army. He was first some sort of Associate AD at Purdue. Jim had to step down from coaching for a while and then when he was able to go back to coaching he had to go somewhere else.

That is correct. I didn't put that in my comment as it would have made the comment too long. If you read my comment carefully, you can see I put in room for his career change before moving to Army. But the point is that he was not fired and could have continued under different circumbstances. Still fits the category of "destination job."

That is correct. I didn't put that in my comment as it would have made the comment too long. If you read my comment carefully, you can see I put in room for his career change before moving to Army. But the point is that he was not fired and could have continued under different circumbstances. Still fits the category of "destination job."

Sorry, I read too quickly. You did say "leave the sidelines," which would have covered Young.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT