ADVERTISEMENT

Watching nova and FSU

bonefish1

All-American
Oct 4, 2004
FSU ranked 14 but no where near the talent of VaTech. I think we win that game.
Boogie should have a big game. FSU having trouble with a nova guard who have about 16 early in the 2nd half.

Boogie should have a big game. FSU having trouble with a nova guard who have about 16 early in the 2nd half.
If nothing else, with Haarms at 7’3” and the FSU center at 7’5” it should be entertaining in the middle! Looks like a good night to have the outside shot working!

I really would've preferred that FSU had won that game, but the clash of Haarms and Koumadje should be worth the price of admission

Reactions: Roeder
I really would've preferred that FSU had won that game, but the clash of Haarms and Koumadje should be worth the price of admission

Knowing our luck, Haarms will have 3 fouls in 5 minutes...sigh.

The key to Purdue is not Carsen, it's everyone else. Quite frankly, the fewer percentage of points that Carsen has for Purdue, the better it is for us. That means others are contributing.

We're not going to beat good teams by relying on Carsen to score 30+ points on 20+ shots.

Carsen shot 21 times against VA Tech, was 3-11 from 3 and had 6 turnovers.

First Half
Carsen:
4-9 (44%), 2-6 from 3 (33%), 2 turnovers
Rest of team: 13-21 (62%), 5-9 from 3 (55%), 4 turnovers

Second Half
Carsen:
5-12 (41%), 1-5 from 3 (20%), 4 turnovers
Rest of team: 9-19 (47%), 6-13 from 3 (46%), 3 turnovers

This is not a "knock on Carsen" post - it's simply a we're a better team the more involved everyone is, which requires Carsen to be efficient AND requires the rest of the team to step up and be involved offensively. Carsen had 7 assists - teams are focusing on him and he's getting people involved, we just need them to be consistently involved.

The key to Purdue is not Carsen, it's everyone else. Quite frankly, the fewer percentage of points that Carsen has for Purdue, the better it is for us. That means others are contributing.

We're not going to beat good teams by relying on Carsen to score 30+ points on 20+ shots.

Carsen shot 21 times against VA Tech, was 3-11 from 3 and had 6 turnovers.

First Half
Carsen:
4-9 (44%), 2-6 from 3 (33%), 2 turnovers
Rest of team: 13-21 (62%), 5-9 from 3 (55%), 4 turnovers

Second Half
Carsen:
5-12 (41%), 1-5 from 3 (20%), 4 turnovers
Rest of team: 9-19 (47%), 6-13 from 3 (46%), 3 turnovers

This is not a "knock on Carsen" post - it's simply a we're a better team the more involved everyone is, which requires Carsen to be efficient AND requires the rest of the team to step up and be involved offensively. Carsen had 7 assists - teams are focusing on him and he's getting people involved, we just need them to be consistently involved.
Your POTY candidate is going to be option 1,2 and 3. It’s similar to the Big Dog years although Carsen has a better supporting cast from an offensive perspective.
Boogie will avg 25 pts a game this year and we’ll have a bunch of guys avging between 5-10.

Very true. We won't be successful if we spend too much time watching Carsen or looking for Carsen.

Your POTY candidate is going to be option 1,2 and 3. It’s similar to the Big Dog years although Carsen has a better supporting cast from an offensive perspective.
Boogie will avg 25 pts a game this year and we’ll have a bunch of guys avging between 5-10.
I'd take carsen at 22-25 pts /game, but not with 20 shots. He can get his shot most anytime he wants...why not help the others earlier in the clock a bit more? Since the shots don't count when fouled..no reason why 15 shots a game can't work...and if you take two extra that are "good" shots that don't fall...fine. Something less than 20 should be a goal...

Reactions: northside100
I'd take carsen at 22-25 pts /game, but not with 20 shots. He can get his shot most anytime he wants...why not help the others earlier in the clock a bit more? Since the shots don't count when fouled..no reason why 15 shots a game can't work...and if you take two extra that are "good" shots that don't fall...fine. Something less than 20 should be a goal...

While I think this is ideal, if he's going off and not being stopped - sure, he can shoot that much. I don't necessarily think a number needs to be pinned, but I agree that in general that's ideal. His percentage needs to be high if he's shooting a high volume. Shooting sub-45% doesn't warrant that.

While I think this is ideal, if he's going off and not being stopped - sure, he can shoot that much. I don't necessarily think a number needs to be pinned, but I agree that in general that's ideal. His percentage needs to be high if he's shooting a high volume. Shooting sub-45% doesn't warrant that.
No, never intended a number...don't think anyone could or should do that. however, comparison numbers help plant a seed to take better shots. his shot selection has not been near as good this year so far. Sure he can make shots that are "bad" shots for most, but he can still make shots that are better shots if under more control...probably has just a smidgeon too much confidence... ;)

I never said Carsen can't be the main offensive threat. I said he, and his teammates, need to be efficient - getting 25 points on 21 shots is not very efficient, nor will it help Purdue beat ranked teams in most cases.

Look at the numbers in the VA Tech game - the rest of the team shot 55% for the game, and we lost. The question going into this season was who would score other than Carsen - Carsen was doing great at getting his teammates involved, but in the second half it wasn't as good. That's something the rest of the team has to step up to help him out - it can't all be on his shoulders - and he also can't try to be the hero.

If the rest of our team minus our All-American is shooting 55% for an entire game - we should be winning those games against top 15-25 teams. Wouldn't you agree?

No, never intended a number...don't think anyone could or should do that. however, comparison numbers help plant a seed to take better shots. his shot selection has not been near as good this year so far. Sure he can make shots that are "bad" shots for most, but he can still make shots that are better shots if under more control...probably has just a smidgeon too much confidence... ;)

Agreed! It's not a knock on him either - I think people take it as such.

If we dominate on the glass.....we can tolerate a lower shooting percentage by Carsen or the team.

Last edited:
I never said Carsen can't be the main offensive threat. I said he, and his teammates, need to be efficient - getting 25 points on 21 shots is not very efficient, nor will it help Purdue beat ranked teams in most cases.

Look at the numbers in the VA Tech game - the rest of the team shot 55% for the game, and we lost. The question going into this season was who would score other than Carsen - Carsen was doing great at getting his teammates involved, but in the second half it wasn't as good. That's something the rest of the team has to step up to help him out - it can't all be on his shoulders - and he also can't try to be the hero.

If the rest of our team minus our All-American is shooting 55% for an entire game - we should be winning those games against top 15-25 teams. Wouldn't you agree?

But like we’ve seen in the past, we’re limited outside of Carsen in terms of who can create their own shot. It’s not Eifert, Haarms, rarely Cline. Maybe NE but he has to be going to the hole or getting close looks, not shooting jumpers.
Until we have a second scorer who can create and break down the D, Carsen will continue to be the focus of the offense.

I think Haarms create his own shot if we feed him some post touches. Cline as well. I think against these better teams we need to be a little less predictable then pulling deep threes off of ball screens.

But like we’ve seen in the past, we’re limited outside of Carsen in terms of who can create their own shot. It’s not Eifert, Haarms, rarely Cline. Maybe NE but he has to be going to the hole or getting close looks, not shooting jumpers.
Until we have a second scorer who can create and break down the D, Carsen will continue to be the focus of the offense.

I can't be more clear: Carsen IS the guy this year. I am not remotely saying otherwise. I'm simply saying he needs to be more efficient than he was against VA Tech. And some of that is him getting the ball to his teammates in situations that give them a good chance, which he did a good job of for a good chunk of the game. And some of it is his teammates being more confident and not looking to him to "make" the play. For example, Matt Haarms should NOT be shooting 1 time in a game. That's ludicrous. Part of that is Painter making sure he gets involved, part of it is Haarms getting in position to be effective and part of it is his teammates getting him the ball. For example, we know Carsen can drive. Teams are going to collapse on him - he needs to get Haarms the ball.

I've actually been somewhat surprised at how "balanced" we've been. But against good teams, the inefficiency will get exposed. When we aren't quite fine tuned, a few forced shots by Carsen will make the difference in winning and losing against a top 15 team.

If I pointed to one thing as the weakness, I'd say our defense wasn't great - we fouled a lot. However, that's just something that's going to come with time. That's just not something you're going to turn the switch on with the inexperience of this team in the month of November.

Only watched a small portion. The center doesn't look too quick so haarms will definitely be able to hang with him. EB might be able to score a lot on him but haarms shot blocking will probably be critical as FSU seems centered on driving to the basket.

I think Haarms create his own shot if we feed him some post touches. Cline as well. I think against these better teams we need to be a little less predictable then pulling deep threes off of ball screens.
Cline can create his own shot at well as Mathias, which is not at all. He's going to come off screens and curls for 3s. He won't be taking it to the hole against better teams.

I can't be more clear: Carsen IS the guy this year. I am not remotely saying otherwise. I'm simply saying he needs to be more efficient than he was against VA Tech. And some of that is him getting the ball to his teammates in situations that give them a good chance, which he did a good job of for a good chunk of the game. And some of it is his teammates being more confident and not looking to him to "make" the play. For example, Matt Haarms should NOT be shooting 1 time in a game. That's ludicrous. Part of that is Painter making sure he gets involved, part of it is Haarms getting in position to be effective and part of it is his teammates getting him the ball. For example, we know Carsen can drive. Teams are going to collapse on him - he needs to get Haarms the ball.

I've actually been somewhat surprised at how "balanced" we've been. But against good teams, the inefficiency will get exposed. When we aren't quite fine tuned, a few forced shots by Carsen will make the difference in winning and losing against a top 15 team.

If I pointed to one thing as the weakness, I'd say our defense wasn't great - we fouled a lot. However, that's just something that's going to come with time. That's just not something you're going to turn the switch on with the inexperience of this team in the month of November.

I think our lack of great D is Painter's insistence on having guys like Cline, Eifert and EB trying to tightly guard much better athletes 25 feet from the bucket which ends up in a blow by and foul. Granted, VT had 3 really good guards, possibly 3 NBA types, but don't know why Painter didn't try something different in the 2nd half when our man to man was getting shredded.

Agreed! It's not a knock on him either - I think people take it as such.
I can take every single player and list an area of improvement. What if those 6 shots above the 15 resulted in 1 3pt and 2 2pt baskets or 7 more points? Carsen IS crucial to Purdue's success and can be the X factor in any game. However, there is a balance to keeping the others playing and not watching as well...

Last edited:

I would like to see Matt sometimes look towards that basket on the high post rather than always the hand off...

Reactions: Do Dah Day
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT