ADVERTISEMENT

Walters

Nov 21, 2012
I know a lot of people on here compare Walters to Hazell, which is justified given the record and performance to date. With that said, I find Coach Walters infinitely more likable, humble, and someone that I genuinely want to do well here.

I abandoned Hazell about 3 games into his tenure, but if Walters can hold this team and his recruiting class together after the abysmal start to this season, I think he deserves our support. His defense is showing clear improvement and he is now making obvious effort to repair the inept offense that has held him back since he got here. He also appears to be more disappointed than any of us with the results on the field, which tells me he cares about what is happening here vs. just cashing a check.

So far, I think his biggest mistake has been in trusting the wrong person with his Offense whilst having an unforgiving schedule. Although obvious self-preservation, I think pulling the trigger on Harrell is more than just a symbolic act and and actually gives Walters a chance to rebound. Hopefully he course corrected before it's too late.

Boiler up!

I know a lot of people on here compare Walters to Hazell, which is justified given the record and performance to date. With that said, I find Coach Walters infinitely more likable, humble, and someone that I genuinely want to do well here.

I abandoned Hazell about 3 games into his tenure, but if Walters can hold this team and his recruiting class together after the abysmal start to this season, I think he deserves our support. His defense is showing clear improvement and he is now making obvious effort to repair the inept offense that has held him back since he got here. He also appears to be more disappointed than any of us with the results on the field, which tells me he cares about what is happening here vs. just cashing a check.

So far, I think his biggest mistake has been in trusting the wrong person with his Offense whilst having an unforgiving schedule. Although obvious self-preservation, I think pulling the trigger on Harrell is more than just a symbolic act and and actually gives Walters a chance to rebound. Hopefully he course corrected before it's too late.

Boiler up!
No

Reactions: BBG
Hazell always said he needed to watch the tape and then nothing changed.
After the Nebraska game, Walters used the dreaded watch the tape, but then to our surprise he made a huge change after watching the tape. That alone is a huge difference.

The defense was good enough to win Saturday, the offense did nothing, and the D ran out of gas at the end because they were on the field for way too long.

I am not completely out on Walters, people forget that Brohm didn't exactly leave us with a wealth of talent. Probably why Harrel got another chance after he brought in some more players, but clearly not calling a good game and I think that is what Walters saw on the tape, things that would/should work and we weren't doing it, not attacking the weaknesses so time for a change to someone who can adjust play calling to attack defensive weaknesses. Anyone else can't really be worse.

Hazell always said he needed to watch the tape and then nothing changed.
After the Nebraska game, Walters used the dreaded watch the tape, but then to our surprise he made a huge change after watching the tape. That alone is a huge difference.

The defense was good enough to win Saturday, the offense did nothing, and the D ran out of gas at the end because they were on the field for way too long.

I am not completely out on Walters, people forget that Brohm didn't exactly leave us with a wealth of talent. Probably why Harrel got another chance after he brought in some more players, but clearly not calling a good game and I think that is what Walters saw on the tape, things that would/should work and we weren't doing it, not attacking the weaknesses so time for a change to someone who can adjust play calling to attack defensive weaknesses. Anyone else can't really be worse.
I liked your post. I agree Brohm had more talent leftover year 1 compared to the talent Walters had his first year.

Holding Nebraska scoreless in the first half was impressive. Since the offense could not put together any long drives to give the defense a rest, the defense, as we expected, became tired towards the end of game.

Unforgiving?? How hard has our schedule really been? Notre Dame is a big name and ranked but has already lost at home to a MAC team. Indiana State is a pathetic FCS opponent and Oregon State isn't P5 anymore and didn't look that good even when they were beating us.

Unforgiving?? How hard has our schedule really been? Notre Dame is a big name and ranked but has already lost at home to a MAC team. Indiana State is a pathetic FCS opponent and Oregon State isn't P5 anymore and didn't look that good even when they were beating us.
We are 1-3 with only 1 real un-winnable game that was on the schedule. Agree the Oregon State just is not good.

Gets much tougher now.

"Unforgiving" was meant to say that there haven't been a lot of cupcakes for a first time HC to cut his teeth on. He was thrown into the fire between last year and this year. Also, I say unforgiving because of what is to come. If Walters fixes what is broken and does a steller job coaching from here on out, it is highly unlikely he has much to show for it.

Reactions: z_one
"Unforgiving" was meant to say that there haven't been a lot of cupcakes for a first time HC to cut his teeth on. He was thrown into the fire between last year and this year. Also, I say unforgiving because of what is to come. If Walters fixes what is broken and does a steller job coaching from here on out, it is highly unlikely he has much to show for it.
There’s a difference between being competitive and getting blown out. We are getting blown out. If he can be competitive vs the good teams and beat one or two of our peers then he’s “doing something”.

Boiler up!

Humble?? This is the same guy that called himself the best DC in the country. The same guy that wears shirts about 2 sizes too small to show off his biceps.

He's in over his head and the problem lies with the fact that he couldn't see that until he got beatdown the last 3 games because of his arrogance.

Reactions: pboiler18

Boiler up!
Walters is not Darrell hazell and would have easily been .500 with some of those schedules, the state of some of those big ten programs at the time and no NIL. People are just going to extremes on everything these days. Everything is either the greatest thing ever or the worst.

Right now he’s in line with Jim Coletto. It’s refreshing that he was made to fire his OC in 16 games and unlike coletto, he will either right the ship or be fired after the bucket game. He needs 3 more wins to even get a third year and even then his seat will be hot. He would need 6 wins to get a 4th year with next years schedule.

I’m against a move before revenue sharing unless he’s absolutely horrid 3-9. I want our next coach to be hired from a list of who wants to come here with revenue sharing. No one will want to have this meager NIL backing them with no sharing.

That’s how we got Walters

• Haha
With the transfer portal, you can no longer blame the prior coach for leaving the cupboard bare. It wasn’t Brohm who told our top 3 receivers to all leave. Walters picked up a couple of Qbs via the portal. Walters prefers mobile Qbs over drop back ones. The problem was his mobile Qb did not match the blocking ability of our offensive line. It’s obvious that the players recruited despite their 3/4 star rating did not match the system Walters and his OC wanted to employ.

Who is to blame? The players? The OC? Or the head coach who knew little about offense? Typically when it comes to college football and every college sport, it is the assistant coaches. Who do the vast majority of recruiting. I have personal knowledge in a different sport that the head coach tells her assistants what athletes to actually recruit. I am led to wonder how much insight and how much does Walters oversee the recruiting of his offensive players? Or did he delegate all of that responsibility to his assistant coaches?

I have a friend’s son who was invited out of the blue to attend the Purdue/Notre dame game. I am led to wonder what Purdue coach invited him. While he is a personal friend, he still has a 0 star rating And really had no interest in attending Purdue. He visited Liberty last weekend he likes Appalachian st. I have to wonder, who at Purdue is recruiting him?

With the transfer portal, you can no longer blame the prior coach for leaving the cupboard bare. It wasn’t Brohm who told our top 3 receivers to all leave. Walters picked up a couple of Qbs via the portal. Walters prefers mobile Qbs over drop back ones. The problem was his mobile Qb did not match the blocking ability of our offensive line. It’s obvious that the players recruited despite their 3/4 star rating did not match the system Walters and his OC wanted to employ.

Who is to blame? The players? The OC? Or the head coach who knew little about offense? Typically when it comes to college football and every college sport, it is the assistant coaches. Who do the vast majority of recruiting. I have personal knowledge in a different sport that the head coach tells her assistants what athletes to actually recruit. I am led to wonder how much insight and how much does Walters oversee the recruiting of his offensive players? Or did he delegate all of that responsibility to his assistant coaches?

I have a friend’s son who was invited out of the blue to attend the Purdue/Notre dame game. I am led to wonder what Purdue coach invited him. While he is a personal friend, he still has a 0 star rating And really had no interest in attending Purdue. He visited Liberty last weekend he likes Appalachian st. I have to wonder, who at Purdue is recruiting him?
That’s totally incorrect and a fallacy many Purdue fans but into. If you’re a buyer in the portal, sure. Purdue is not a buyer.

Brian pressed Tom in the simulcast “which one of these transfers is actually good.” Tom admitted pretty much just Reggie love.

Purdue lost Scourton and if Thienemann wasn’t a legacy and didn’t have any particular allegiance to Purdue, I doubt they’d have afforded him.

A really high impact player is going to cost you about 500-750. That will get you a guy at yannis position that would have run down that Oregon state option and dumped the pitch man out of bounds for a 4 yard loss.

Purdue ain’t getting players like that man. They were able to keep 4 of 5.

That’s totally incorrect and a fallacy many Purdue fans but into. If you’re a buyer in the portal, sure. Purdue is not a buyer.

Brian pressed Tom in the simulcast “which one of these transfers is actually good.” Tom admitted pretty much just Reggie love.

Purdue lost Scourton and if Thienemann wasn’t a legacy and didn’t have any particular allegiance to Purdue, I doubt they’d have afforded him.

A really high impact player is going to cost you about 500-750. That will get you a guy at yannis position that would have run down that Oregon state option and dumped the pitch man out of bounds for a 4 yard loss.

You repeating the same 3 things over and over doesn’t make them true.

Walters is not Darrell hazell and would have easily been .500 with some of those schedules, the state of some of those big ten programs at the time and no NIL. People are just going to extremes on everything these days. Everything is either the greatest thing ever or the worst.

Right now he’s in line with Jim Coletto. It’s refreshing that he was made to fire his OC in 16 games and unlike coletto, he will either right the ship or be fired after the bucket game. He needs 3 more wins to even get a third year and even then his seat will be hot. He would need 6 wins to get a 4th year with next years schedule.

I’m against a move before revenue sharing unless he’s absolutely horrid 3-9. I want our next coach to be hired from a list of who wants to come here with revenue sharing. No one will want to have this meager NIL backing them with no sharing.

That’s how we got Walters
I’m thinking of 3-9 as being the ceiling right now? 😬

You repeating the same 3 things over and over doesn’t make them true.
Again Tom’s big thing was “there’s talent on this team.” Brian pressed him .. what transfer is actually good. Tom named one guy before saying Purdue should have just paid Scourton and Burks.

I’m thinking of 3-9 as being the ceiling right now? 😬
If it is Walters will be gone. And Purdue will be getting hung up on by 9 guys before the next Walters finally answers the phone.

Word is if it wasn’t Walters it was going to be Chris creighton. Woof. I bet Scrooge boiler thinks Troy Calhoun is interested. That level of coach is not, or we wouldn’t have Walters

Again Tom’s big thing was “there’s talent on this team.” Brian pressed him .. what transfer is actually good. Tom named one guy before saying Purdue should have just paid Scourton and Burks.
Youve said this already. Over and over.

It doesn’t take a team full of future NFLers to not get beat by 59 points vs ND. Brohms teams weren’t loaded but they won. Is it crazy to expect the same out of this coach?

If he’s bought the wrong players…that’s on him too!

If it is Walters will be gone. And Purdue will be getting hung up on by 9 guys before the next Walters finally answers the phone.

Word is if it wasn’t Walters it was going to be Chris creighton. Woof. I bet Scrooge boiler thinks Troy Calhoun is interested. That level of coach is not, or we wouldn’t have Walters
Calhoun would come here. If he wouldn’t he’s nuts.

Also, who would you rather have as your coach…Creighton or Walters? Lol

agree w/ you on Creighton, hell Colson wasn't interested and he's currently at 1 - 3 after losing to that power Louisiana after an infamous Bye Week

Youve said this already. Over and over.

It doesn’t take a team full of future NFLers to not get beat by 59 points vs ND. Brohms teams weren’t loaded but they won. Is it crazy to expect the same out of this coach?

If he’s bought the wrong players…that’s on him too!
Why are you comparing the two as though I’m saying Walters isn’t on his way to getting fired?

Oooo brohm is better than Ryan Walters. That’s like being better than Gerry dinardo lol.

Brohm was 2 games over .500 here. PJ fleck is 15 games over .500 at Minnesota.

Stop talking about brohm like he’s Lloyd Carr. Walters can get fired today and brohm still left a lot to be desired. Yeah he was better than Scott frost and Ron turner too dude, I know

Reactions: z_one
Calhoun would come here. If he wouldn’t he’s nuts.

Also, who would you rather have as your coach…Creighton or Walters? Lol
Why? Why would he come here? To be in pay for play backed by a program that hasn’t done pay for play since 1970? Or just wait where you are for a better job.

Creighton is a better coach but the thought was that Bobinski wanted to go risk reward. Probably because he knew we’d have to wait until revenue sharing to go up in job stature. He swung for the fences. If he’s wrong Walters and he may be gone come December.

You know I’m not the AD right

Why? Why would he come here? To be in pay for play backed by a program that hasn’t done pay for play since 1970? Or just wait where you are for a better job.

Creighton is a better coach but the thought was that Bobinski wanted to go risk reward. Probably because he knew we’d have to wait until revenue sharing to go up in job stature. He swung for the fences. If he’s wrong Walters and he may be gone come December.

You know I’m not the AD right
BC, do you think Bobinski ( an nd alum) was influenced at all by nd's decision to go w/ Freeman who had no previous HC experience ?

Well if CRW would’ve worked out, I’m sure Bobonski would have thought he was a genius for finding him. (did I just use him in the past tense?) 😮😜

BC, do you think Bobinski ( an nd alum) was influenced at all by nd's decision to go w/ Freeman who had no previous HC experience ?
I think he just handled this poorly. I get going risk reward but there should have been requirements to have some older coaches with HC experience on staff and someone with play calling experience in college on staff. I also think the hire of Walters is reflective of the lack of interest though. As @nat100 says, it’s not as great of a job as some think. I think it will be when revenue sharing kicks in though

But then what I think will begin is a campaign to make air full shares away from schools like Purdue

I think he just handled this poorly. I get going risk reward but there should have been requirements to have some older coaches with HC experience on staff and someone with play calling experience in college on staff. I also think the hire of Walters is reflective of the lack of interest though. As @nat100 says, it’s not as great of a job as some think. I think it will be when revenue sharing kicks in though

But then what I think will begin is a campaign to make air full shares away from schools like Purdue
Part of the issue is that we were 2 weeks at the least later than pretty much every school looking for a coach at that time due to Brohm not leaving until after the BIGCG. That put us behind the 8 ball big time.

If Walters doesn’t improve you fire him at the turn of November and start looking the. You can find a guy if you’re playing in the same candidate pool as everybody else.

I’m not shouting from the rooftops to fire Bobinski. I don’t think going the lottery ticket route is a bad approach for us. I don’t think the contract he offered Walters was unfair to Purdue or anybody else. It’s just table stakes in CFb.

It’s obvious the hire is t working out though. Take this time while Walters is a lame duck to do a search and find the right guy. If you can’t, might as well try and scratch another lotto ticket!

Part of the issue is that we were 2 weeks at the least later than pretty much every school looking for a coach at that time due to Brohm not leaving until after the BIGCG. That put us behind the 8 ball big time.

If Walters doesn’t improve you fire him at the turn of November and start looking the. You can find a guy if you’re playing in the same candidate pool as everybody else.

I’m not shouting from the rooftops to fire Bobinski. I don’t think going the lottery ticket route is a bad approach for us. I don’t think the contract he offered Walters was unfair to Purdue or anybody else. It’s just table stakes in CFb.

It’s obvious the hire is t working out though. Take this time while Walters is a lame duck to do a search and find the right guy. If you can’t, might as well try and scratch another lotto ticket!
If they are going to move on Walters they need to know it asap and move … I don’t think this job is as desirable as many Purdue fans do. But they should maximize what it is

How is NIU getting the players to compete with Notre Dame? I think a larger part of this than you would like to admit is about talent evaluation. Do our coaches just look and see that a player is transferring from an SEC program and figure they have to be good? That's not how good coaches do it. How many walk-ons did Tiller and Brohm find that ended up a starter for us?

We're never going to be top 5 in the B1G in NIL. But we can still certainly put together a much better team than this.

Last edited:
If they are going to move on Walters they need to know it asap and move … I don’t think this job is as desirable as many Purdue fans do. But they should maximize what it is
Depends on the objectives. If a coach wants to win a national championship, that's probably never going to happen here. BUT, it is a Big Ten job. There is Big Ten money. The expectations are pretty much go .500 and beat IU more often than not. Do that, you'll keep your job as long as you want it and make a top 25 salary. Do that, and you'll fill the stadium every year. Do that for 10 years, and you might get a statue outside the stadium after you retire.

If NIL gets resolved so that there's some cap and it's not an annual free-for-all, this job becomes all that more attractive.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT