ADVERTISEMENT

Walters Buyout

Yes and Tiller , but in today's $$$$$ it's hard to find those guys for the love of the game/Purdue. Unless you get a CMP or Brees.. type
You think Brees would even come back to coach Purdue? His family seems to like living in San Diego area and NOLA. When you have that kind of money why throw away that quality of life for your family?

If I'm the Purdue AD the most important factor of when to move on is when you can identify and land a coach who can be successful here. If I'm not sold on anyone after this season I may not make the move. I don't think there is a great fit every off-season and if you make another bad hire you bury the program for another 3 years. I actually think that was part of the problem that got us in this situation. Brohm left and we had no choice but to hire right then and I'm not sure there was a great candidate that would have come here at that time.
somehow iu found a coach.

somehow iu found a coach.
He’s 63. Not many schools looking to rebuild a program for a guy who will be 70 when his current recruits graduate. Tiller was asked to retire in his mid-60s because of negative recruiting due to his age. Not ideal to be starting from scratch then.

He’s 63. Not many schools looking to rebuild a program for a guy who will be 70 when his current recruits graduate. Tiller was asked to retire in his mid-60s because of negative recruiting due to his age. Not ideal to be starting from scratch then.
Yeah, but in the portal era, lots of kids are only worried about the next year, not 5 years from now.

Reactions: Bippus33
Yeah, but in the portal era, lots of kids are only worried about the next year, not 5 years from now.
This year was an anomaly since a lot of transfers followed their coach. I’m past years iu has leaned heavily on the transfer and it has not panned out for them. Might be different if they get a ton of NIL $.

It was the opposite. He indicated they anticipated it for weeks and already had the process well underway. The hire was actually rather quick.

This was a tough hire. You could go the IU route and get a proven winner at the lower ranks but that is very temporary. Cignetti is 63. He took this job as it’s his final retirement plan. How’s going out and recruiting 2026 players work out when they won’t graduate until 2031 (assuming a redshirt) when he is 70? Not sustainable.

This had the most upside. A school friendly contract that if it doesn’t work out we move on. We had a horrible NIL so you need a guy with some charisma that can recruit based on ability to relate with this young staff.

It’s easy to second guess the decision but let’s not pretend we are alabama…
No body is pretending that we are Alabama, but can we at least pretend that we are NIU?????

Reactions: TC4THREE
You think Brees would even come back to coach Purdue? His family seems to like living in San Diego area and NOLA. When you have that kind of money why throw away that quality of life for your family?

THIS.

If you were Drew Brees, why would you? Doesn't need the money. Could only hurt his legacy with Purdue fans. Have to commit countless hours of kissing teenage butt and securing funding to keep the good players you do land. Spending extra long days during the season developing game plans for your next opponent and preparing your team with each game.

Or he could just sit back, enjoy any administrative type figurehead role he wants for Purdue while living where ever he wants and spending as much time as he wants with his wife and kids. All while remaining a darling to Purdue fans everywhere.

He may love Purdue and want the football team to succeed but I bet he loves his family and his current life much more.

The Tiller route seems the best to me.

Hire the older guy who is a proven winner at the G5 level who it’s going to be his last job and have him have success here for that last 7-10 years of his career.
And at Purdue, 7-10 years of success is a lifetime, not a short term fix.

Joe tiller was 8 years younger than Cignetti and had already been here earlier in his career, we had a connection. Jeff Brohm is a better example and he had no connection and left. Hazell and Hope had HC experience and it didn’t work out, although hazell didn’t have much time as HC at all. I think either way it’s not a sustainable model when you are a program like us, and it’s even more challenging with NIL. We may have been quickly rejected by our top guys and we have to learn to accept the lottery tickets.

The counter argument is indiana was able to get cignetti. We will see how that pans out in the long run.
Not sure you even read what I wrote because your arguments have nothing to do with what I said. Your fascination with Cignetti’s age is interesting though. Pointing out that he’s only got 7 years left …… how many coaches has Purdue had that lasted more than 7 years in recent history? Aside from Tiller we have none and this guy will be no different. So how is having a rotating door of coaches with over half stinking up the joint less sustainable than having an older coach that can win and probably lasts longer? I’ll bet Cignetti lasts longer than Walters and wins more.

No way would I want Brees as the HC. Maybe as the OC or definitely a QB coach, but he has zero HC experience at any level.

I look at Purdue and then I look at IU, Rutgers, Minnesota ,Iowa Northwestern and Wisconsin. None of those schools is really better than Purdue. Their facilities and salary structure is are about the same. I ask if Iowa can be successful, why can’t Purdue?

Why do the best Indiana high school offensive linemen flock to Iowa?

Why does Purdue constantly prioritize recruiting at skill positions over recruiting elite linemen? Notre Dame showed Purdue The meaning of what winning the trenches is all about. Purdue doesn’t really need 4/5 star QBs who are running for their lives or 20,000 4/5 star dbacks!

Purdue doesn’t need a passing attack that puts up 600 yards in a loss!

Why does northwestern win?

I believe the answer is part of the problem and solution. I don’t believe Purdue really knows what it wants to be! Does it want to be boring and win? Or does it want to be pass happy and flashy and look good in losing?

Do the fans really like playing tough teams? Or would they rather have wins?

Do the fans really want a passing oriented offense or would they rather have wins!

It seems from reading posts here, some fans here would rather have a flashy offense that loses against tough teams. Rather than a boring team that wins games against cream puffs.

And when you lose, you want to change the coach rather than changing the reasons why this team always keeps losing.

My thoughts are rather than changing the coach. You need to change your philosophy and start implementing a ball control offense, recruit those Indians linemen, and become a boring team with your best players in the trenches rather than at the skill positions.

Think about our recruiting. Our two best players in the past 5 years were walk-ons. We don’t really need 4/5 star QBs to be successful. What we truly need is more quality players in the trenches.

As I look to the future, the BIG 10 is not going to add 2 cream puffs to our league. Purdue’s conference schedule is going to get even harder!

You can’t have it both ways. If you love a flashy pass happy offense and tough non conference opponents then don’t complain having a losing record.

The problem is not the coach. The problem is the schedule and the wrong philosophy of what it takes to win in today’s BIG 10. People keep talking about Tiller’s success. He was successful because he initially installed an offense other big 10 teams did not have the right type of players to defend. Once other schools figured out tiller’s offense , his success disappeared.

If Purdue wants to enjoy any success against teams like usc and Oregon they need a new strategy, not a new coach. They also need to start paying coaches on actual performance and winning rather than potential!

Ummm, Tiller’s teams had great O lines. I believe during one of Brady’s first championships he was being protected by 3 of them including Matt Light. I agree with prioritizing lines - so that your QB has time to find the best position to place the ball and you can create running gaps.

Nobody is prioritizing a high powered, flashy offense over wins. Those of us who advocate for this do so because we believe it’s historically proven to be the best chance at shaking up this major power conference. It works, and - everything else we’ve tried in decades has proven to be a dud including, unfortunately and predictably, our current situation. Not saying it’s a magic bullet, just that our most likely chance is finding a coach with a proven track record of winning with innovative passing. I actually thought that was a common feeling and that we were most certainly headed that direction before the surprise announcement of CRW.

I’d love to come back and eat crow.

Last edited:
Reactions: pboiler18 and BBG
THIS.

If you were Drew Brees, why would you? Doesn't need the money. Could only hurt his legacy with Purdue fans. Have to commit countless hours of kissing teenage butt and securing funding to keep the good players you do land. Spending extra long days during the season developing game plans for your next opponent and preparing your team with each game.
Hip Hop Booty GIF

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT