ADVERTISEMENT

Virginia with 2 points at the under 8 timeout

*4purdue*

All-American
May 6, 2008
I hope they are the 1 seed in our bracket. I could seriously see a 16 seed beating them.

Originally posted by *4purdue*:
I hope they are the 1 seed in our bracket. I could seriously see a 16 seed beating them.
I've watched five of their games this year, and love the way Bennett coaches. Lives by breaking the other team down, forcing them to play Va's game.

While anything is possible, I seriously doubt a 16 will beat Virginia.

Now if Gonzaga makes a 1 seed....all bets are off.

Virginia is really good. They just play ugly basketball. Kind of similar to Purdue.

That being said, I agree that I'd prefer to play them over any of the other #1 seeds.

I'd rather watch paint dry than any Bennett-coached team play that "they can't call them all" style.

It's like when a commentator would say that Craft or the LeBron Heat were "turning up the defensive intensity" which basically translates to them fouling the hell out of the offensive player without being called for it.

And yes, I'm still bitter about that Wisconsin team keeping our boys out of the Final Four in 2000.

Re: ^^^^ what?

Yep, pretty sure. There's a big difference between not wanting to see ticky-tack fouls called or flops fallen for on every possession for guys playing good defense and having the philosophy that if you hack and hack and hack they won't call them all and you can disrupt any flow to the game and "grind the other team down".

Originally posted by *4purdue*:
They play exactly like Wisky use to play under Dick Bennett.
I'm guessing the other coaches in the league should be very happy the guy turned down IU. He would have hit the state running and my guess is he'd have the Hoosiers where he has Virginia.

The guy's won every where he's been. If the Count ever retires, it won't be a surprise to see him finish his career as a Badger.

one good thing about having crean on your side is that the officials start to fear for their safety if they call against tom and his boys
tom's like a mother bear protecting her cubs

Re: ^^^^ what?

I just don't see that with Virginia. I see solid defense and that of course leads to fouls as you are more in the face of the player.

Purdue gets out in that same category by uninformed fans and I just shake my head. I just don't see how anyone could think a coach would tell his players to hack away because they can't call them all. I think the Rutgers game shows they not only can call them all, they can find Sims could that don't exist to call.

Now basketball is a physical game and it makes sense to use that to your advantage if you can. There are ways of using the opposing players motion as a physical advantage for the defense. But I am pretty sure most coaches still teach quickness and position as a defensive philosophy.

I can see a coach advising times when it is smart to give a foul. Like the fifth foul on Vince Sunday night. It was a smart foul in theory. It was the wrong person however to be committing it.

yeah i see bennett as clearly following in tom creans footsteps to an extent, he clearly plays close attention to his fitness regimine, and he always looks sharp on the sidelines. He brings that combination of class and pure fear to the table that so many coaches fail to do. He may not always win, but like crean, you know you better not be celebrating too much after the game or you will get your ass kicked
This post was edited on 3/3 11:31 AM by reasonableguy44

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT