ADVERTISEMENT

USC vs Purdue WVB

DocRon

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2001
Sheridan , Michigan
USC leads 2-1 sets. Both set wins greatly assisted in the final points by sketchy referee judgements on requested USC replays. That has to be so disappointing but hopefully fills them with rage. I will admit that Skylar Fields is a hell of a player.

Wow, defeated 3 sets to 1. USC won all 3 of their challenges, none which were clear to me or the announcers. Shondell lost both of his challenges. One is tempted to say the refs lost the game for us but the Boilers had their chances despite the lost challenges and they did not do it.

Freshman Kenna Wollard was subbed for Heaney in the 4th set and, I thought, played well.

The replay official was abysmal and inconsistent. How she saw "conclusive" evidence to overturn the three points initially awarded to Purdue, and then to turn around and deem Purdue's two challenges as "inconclusive" is maddening. Maybe she saw what she "wanted to see"......

Wow, defeated 3 sets to 1. USC won all 3 of their challenges, none which were clear to me or the announcers. Shondell lost both of his challenges. One is tempted to say the refs lost the game for us but the Boilers had their chances despite the lost challenges and they did not do it.

Freshman Kenna Wollard was subbed for Heaney in the 4th set and, I thought, played well.
I disagree, 2 sets won, 2 sets taken away...we had to be ahead by 10 to keep to keep the judges out of it. Should have won by 3-0 The last call, the ball never got over the net...the force of the ball pushed the net into the Purdue player. In my eves, very bad call, am I wrong.

Reactions: Boilers1975
I disagree, 2 sets won, 2 sets taken away...we had to be ahead by 10 to keep to keep the judges out of it. Should have won by 3-0 The last call, the ball never got over the net...the force of the ball pushed the net into the Purdue player. In my eves, very bad call, am I wrong.
The announcers went back and forth about whether the net touched one of the players arms or not. They said it does not matter whether the net is pushed into them or not unless it is deemed intentional. I do not know the rules for certain but it sounded like they did. And it sounded like they felt it should have been ruled ”Inconclusive” and not reversed (even though they did not come right out and say that) and I agree.

Regardless, we still had a chance to salvage the set and we did not. I hate blaming the officials because so many times that is the tactic of losers. I bet Coach Shondell takes the same approach, even though inwardly he may feel differently. But yes, it was very frustrating.

Last edited:
The announcers went back and forth about whether the net touched one of the players arms or not. They said it does not matter whether the net is pushed into them or not unless it is deemed intentional. I do not know the rules for certain but it sounded like they did. And it sounded like they felt it should have been ruled ”Inconclusive” and not reversed (even though they did not come right out and say that) and I agree.

Regardless, we still had a chance to salvage the set and we did not. I hate blaming the officials because so many times that is the tactic of losers. I bet Coach Shondell takes the same approach, even though inwardly he may feel differently. But yes, it was very frustrating.
are the intangibles and a fiercely competitive spirit. Colvin and Anderson need to lock themselves in a gym and get their timing worked out. I have not been impressed with Ali Hourning at all- is she injured? Did they red shirt Julia Kane? She is supposed to be a heck of a DS. Emily Brown is also solid. so many positives from last night and very few teams have an answer for Skylar Field and an 11 foot touch… A few breaks and we could have swept. Great learning experience for this team Going into conference play.

Anything this team does this year is bonus. If these girls stay together this team will be a contender. Their “secret sauce”
are the intangibles and a fiercely competitive spirit. Colvin and Anderson need to lock themselves in a gym and get their timing worked out. I have not been impressed with Ali Hourning at all- is she injured? Did they red shirt Julia Kane? She is supposed to be a heck of a DS. Emily Brown is also solid. so many positives from last night and very few teams have an answer for Skylar Field and an 11 foot touch… A few breaks and we could have swept. Great learning experience for this team Going into conference play.
Agree, And yes it does look like they are going for a redshirt for Kane.

But one more thing - that dig that Chicoine made stretching out over the scorer’s table and hitting the ball with her fingertips back into the court was one of the most amazing VB plays I have ever seen.

Last edited:
But one more thing - that dig that play Chicoine made stretching out over the scorer’s table and hitting the ball with her fingertips back into the court was one of the most amazing VB plays I have ever seen.
That’s the secret sauce!! This team doesn’t have quit in them. Chicoine elevates everyone around her. Hudson is just as fierce. Love watching them play. Skylar Fields is a 5th year All-American who was a ton to handle. Hate to see a loss but next game up!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT