ADVERTISEMENT

Upon further review of the Northwestern Officiating Crew

SLoopBoiler

Senior
Feb 11, 2002
Went back and watched the game video. Normally I don't care about the officiating as it evens itself out, but this was one of the poorest crew performances in some time.

Note I linked the videos to the specific plays, so they should open up in each video.

1. Crew Positioning - that was the worst communicating and out of position crew I have seen in
35 years of watching Purdue football. Guys making calls 30 yards away when people on top of the call see nothing. It seems like the back judge was 40 yards away.

2. First INT - that was a brutal no call where the Purdue receiver got tackled.

3. Offensive Pass Interference on the Northwestern grabbing the jersey - first can't believe how out of position the officials were, and 2nd, how the heck did they miss such an obvious call.

4. Personal Foul call - I get why they think they needed to call it, but the issue I had was that the officials were the cause of the penalty because they were terribly inconsistent, including:
  • Extended Scrums - for several Northwestern runs, they let the scrum pile go on for 10 or 15 seconds even though the forward progress was stopped (other than some Bush pushing). Guys are going to then learn and adjust their clock; be decisive and consistent in how you call it. They let this go on, but with a reasonable whistle this would not have been an issue.

• "threw flag because Neal tossed the guy" - Watching the crew chief tell coach with sign language that he called it because of the toss backwards, claiming he was protecting the player was a farce. If so, why did he or the line judge not call it when Sparks was picked up an tossed of of bounds in a wrestling suplex move on the 5 yard line when we were driving to the south end zone in the 3rd period. That could have easily resulted in serious injury.

• Acting job - upon further review, that was an academy award winning acting job by their RB to sell it.

• A few play earlier, on the previous Purdue possession, they swallowed the whistle when Blaugh was tackled late into the Purdue bench. Don't give us this bs about protecting players then.

5, Northwestern had some great trap * pulls, but it helps when they let your tackles hold onto the guy. Happened all night.

6. the 4th quarter fumble not reviewed -
How the heck did they not review that? They reviewed far less. If that was a goal line catch, it is a TD. He took 2.5 steps, adjusted the ball, and then dropped it then when he saw the defender go low. At a minimum, it requires a 2nd look.

Last edited:
I guess by now we just need to accept that the BIG officials are pathetic

I don't take sports too seriously because of the deliberate or otherwise bad officiating. A prime example was a Purdue game in the mid-1960s. Purdue leading 30 or 40 to nothing, the referees decided to give the opponent a touchdown in the final few minutes. Against the bench-warmers, they called a bunch of mainly clearly phony penalties to march the opponents down the field where they scored on a "touchdown pass" caught 10 yards BEHIND the end zone right in front of me. After that, I've never trusted the officiating again.

Went back and watched the game video. Normally I don't care about the officiating as it evens itself out, but this was one of the poorest crew performances in some time.

Note I linked the videos to the specific plays, so they should open up in each video.

1. Crew Positioning - that was the worst communicating and out of position crew I have seen in
35 years of watching Purdue football. Guys making calls 30 yards away when people on top of the call see nothing. It seems like the back judge was 40 yards away.

3. Offensive Pass Interference on the Northwestern grabbing the jersey - first can't believe how out of position the officials were, and 2nd, how the heck did they miss such an obvious call.

4. Personal Foul call - I get why they think they needed to call it, but the issue I had was that the officials were the cause of the penalty because they were terribly inconsistent, including:
  • Extended Scrums - for several Northwestern runs, they let the scrum pile go on for 10 or 15 seconds even though the forward progress was stopped (other than some Bush pushing). Guys are going to then learn and adjust their clock; be decisive and consistent in how you call it. They let this go on, but with a reasonable whistle this would not have been an issue.

• "threw flag because Neal tossed the guy" - Watching the crew chief tell coach with sign language that he called it because of the toss backwards, claiming he was protecting the player was a farce. If so, why did he or the line judge not call it when Sparks was picked up an tossed of of bounds in a wrestling suplex move on the 5 yard line when we were driving to the south end zone in the 3rd period. That could have easily resulted in serious injury.

• Acting job - upon further review, that was an academy award winning acting job by their RB to sell it.

• A few play earlier, on the previous Purdue possession, they swallowed the whistle when Blaugh was tackled late into the Purdue bench. Don't give us this bs about protecting players then.

5, Northwestern had some great trap * pulls, but it helps when they let your tackles hold onto the guy. Happened all night.

How the heck did they not review that? They reviewed far less. If that was a goal line catch, it is a TD. He took 2.5 steps, adjusted the ball, and then dropped it then when he saw the defender go low. At a minimum, it requires a 2nd look.

I'll give you credit. Well written with specific examples (with links!) for each of your arguments. Whether I agree 100% takes a back seat to the effort on display in the OP.

They showed the replay of the supposed catch/fumble several times on the live broadcast. I can't see any way that it could be called a catch. No I don't think it would have been ruled a TD if it was in the end zone. That being said, I'm surprised they didn't take a look at it to confirm considering it was a potential turnover.

They showed the replay of the supposed catch/fumble several times on the live broadcast. I can't see any way that it could be called a catch. No I don't think it would have been ruled a TD if it was in the end zone. That being said, I'm surprised they didn't take a look at it to confirm considering it was a potential turnover.
Had some what possession of the ball initially but never gained full control from the initial 'catch' to then tucking it. If anything, its a really long and extended drop.

The Defensive PI and Offensive PI that were never called were pretty bad. Blough out of bounds should have been called as well. L. Neal did a mental mistake. Whistle = stop. That was on Purdue.
Yes, those poor officiating moments stink, but at the end of the day, you have to overcome those and we had too many little mistakes that kept us from winning.
Give NW some credit, they kept their penalties to a minimum which is the overall difference.

The Defensive PI and Offensive PI that were never called were pretty bad. Blough out of bounds should have been called as well. L. Neal did a mental mistake. Whistle = stop. That was on Purdue.
Yes, those poor officiating moments stink, but at the end of the day, you have to overcome those and we had too many little mistakes that kept us from winning.
Give NW some credit, they kept their penalties to a minimum which is the overall difference.

Kept them to a minimum or didn’t get called? Saw a lot of blatant holds not called also

I don't mind you putting the time and giving specific examples. However, you also don't point out a single play the other way? If refs are bad, they are typically bad on both sides, not just one. So are you saying they are simply biased against Purdue? Or pro Northwestern?

I will say this - the game seemed to have a lot of play reviews. You seem to be advocating for even more. Maybe it was because it was a Thursday night and it wasn't more than normal - but the game seemed to be dragging with them.

The other missed call that really irritated me was on Rondale Moore's 76 yard TD run, the NW defender horse-collared Terry Wright who was running alongside Moore as a blocker. The reason for that call is because of the injury potential and there was no reason to pull him down like that as he was not even carrying the ball. Didn't protect that player.

OK, vented and on to EMU game.

The other missed call that really irritated me was on Rondale Moore's 76 yard TD run, the NW defender horse-collared Terry Wright who was running alongside Moore as a blocker. The reason for that call is because of the injury potential and there was no reason to pull him down like that as he was not even carrying the ball. Didn't protect that player.

OK, vented and on to EMU game.

Yeah I didn't even notice that until one of my managers brought it up at work the next day and found a video of it. Definitely should have been flagged and moved the kickoff up 15 yards.

Yeah I didn't even notice that until one of my managers brought it up at work the next day and found a video of it. Definitely should have been flagged and moved the kickoff up 15 yards.

The thing with officiating too is that if you literally analyze every player on every player - I bet you can find a flag to throw on each play. A crew of a few refs can't see everything that happens, unfortunately.

Obviously player safety is important - so something like a horse collar being missed isn't good.

But part of it is on coaches too - admittedly we committed a lot of stupid penalties, including at the end of the game.

What gets players to not commit egregious penalties? Missing playing time. It used to be not uncommon for a coach to pull players based on stupid or dangerous plays - now you see them celebrated with big hits and waving their arms up if they are ejected (and usually coaches defend those players).

I certainly don't track stats on it, but I'd be willing to bet that even though some ejections may seem harsh - it seems like they often aren't repeated after a player is punished for it. If coaches disciplined their players for dangerous plays, there would be less of it. Unfortunately, it's paranoia to be a "player's coach" that punishing players proactively is rare.

Looking at the videos, some of the plays were clearly called correctly (catch/fumble, personal foul on Neal) and others were 50/50 (hit on Blough out of bounds, offense and defense pass interference). I'd say the offensive line hold was clearly a penalty but there are a lot of holding penalties missed and I'm not sure it impacted the play anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT