ADVERTISEMENT

UConn’s guards are better- so far…

Heide has made some nice plays, but nobody can get an open 3.

Zach looks tentative around the basket since the first 10 minutes.

UCONN has pro guards. Purdue has really good college players.
UCONN has very good, very OLD guards. Purdue has two sophomores, two freshmen and a nice supporting 6'1" guy in Jones.

Great season, these guys did a great job but the backcourt just couldn't hold up. Will be interesting to see how Purdue's frontcourt looks next year because their back court should be nasty.

Castle is a pro. The other two starters extremely good college players. All 3 guards big. Size & quickness gave us problems, as did Hurley's game plan.
Completely agree. No criticism for Braden, Fletch and Jones, they were fantastic all year. Expect Braden to have a big off-season and be one of the best players in the country next year. Fletch HAS to be significantly stronger but he can be one of the best guards in the Big Ten. Expect Cam and Myles to both be very good next year, was great to see them both get some run tonight.

Completely agree. No criticism for Braden, Fletch and Jones, they were fantastic all year. Expect Braden to have a big off-season and be one of the best players in the country next year. Fletch HAS to be significantly stronger but he can be one of the best guards in the Big Ten. Expect Cam and Myles to both be very good next year, was great to see them both get some run tonight.

Good bunch of high quality kids on both sides.

Hurley is a world class jerkwad, but give him credit, did have an effective game plan.

Fletch needs a red-shirt year to make his body

UCONN has very good, very OLD guards. Purdue has two sophomores, two freshmen and a nice supporting 6'1" guy in Jones.

Great season, these guys did a great job but the backcourt just couldn't hold up. Will be interesting to see how Purdue's frontcourt looks next year because their back court should be nasty.
Sure, but Castle is a freshman.

Lance is a senior.

Loyer isn’t as good as Castle or Newton or Spencer, regardless of age.

Fletcher needs to work on quickness...He had no chance on either end tonight

Castle is a pro. The other two starters extremely good college players. All 3 guards big. Size & quickness gave us problems, as did Hurley's game plan.

Spencer is basically Loyer +4 years (just turned 24 and Loyer is only 20). Newton is bigger than Smith but same thing. The next 2 years hopefully that's us with a bunch of old back court players.

Great season Boilers!

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Spencer, I think, will get a shot at the next level. He is so skilled, such a good shooter, and is just really, really smart.

I think all 3 get a shot. How long?
I think Castle sticks long term, and the other two eventually end up with long careers overseas.

Spencer is basically Loyer +4 years (just turned 24 and Loyer is only 20). Newton is bigger than Smith but same thing. The next 2 years hopefully that's us with a bunch of old back court players.

Great season Boilers!
Need to recruit some bigger guards. Are the guys coming in bigger ?

Who do you see as the starting lineup next year?

Fletch needs a red-shirt year to make his body
Kid can literally be a better version of Spencer by next year but he has to transform his body. Six months to take nutrition and the weight room seriously. Doesn't need to be Mason Gillis but he HAS to get bigger and stronger.

All love, he's a great kid and a great player but he needs to step up.

Kid can literally be a better version of Spencer by next year but he has to transform his body. Six months to take nutrition and the weight room seriously. Doesn't need to be Mason Gillis but he HAS to get bigger and stronger.

I agree, the inability to get open shots won UCONN the game

I'm not arguing your point, but i do question if his body is capable of making those changes. He is pretty slight. Could be wrong, but I don't think that "transformation" is coming.

Reactions: boilertiger05
Who do you see as the starting lineup next year?
I'm going to cop out and give you an indirect answer. It will start with Braden, Fletch and Trey and the last two spots are wide open.

Myles and Cam should be much improved, Harris provides another ball handler and a physical presence. I wouldn't count Furst out, Berg will be interesting and Catchings is supposed to be impressive.

What the heck, gun to head I'll call it at Smith, Loyer, Heide, TKR and Furst with Myles as the 6th man.

I'm not arguing your point, but i do question if his body is capable of making those changes. He is pretty slight. Could be wrong, but I don't think that "transformation" is coming.
It would be very, very unusual for a 20 year old on at high major nutrition and strength training program to be unable to add muscle if he takes it seriously. He's unlikely to every be physically impressive but it would be surprising if he couldn't go from 180 to 195 if he put in the effort.

Harris is 6'4", Benter is 6'5" and growing, Cox is only 6'1" or so but thick. We also already have 6'5" Colvin and 6'6" Heidi and Fletcher is 6'4". Perimeter size shouldn't be an issue going forward.

Harris is......Cox slightly but quicker than greased lightning. You also saw a glimpse of what Mr. Heide can do on the wing. Benter is Loyer's height - has some moxy too.

Purdue will take a step back initially with Zach Edey moving on - but you will see some style changes on both ends of the floor.

Reactions: RossMackey
It would be very, very unusual for a 20 year old on at high major nutrition and strength training program to be unable to add muscle if he takes it seriously. He's unlikely to every be physically impressive but it would be surprising if he couldn't go from 180 to 195 if he put in the effort.
He sure didn't change his body from 19 to 20, not really sure how much different 20 to 21 will be. He just doesn't have that body type. We have guys coming in as freshman that have better D1 bodies right now than he does. Glad to be wrong on this one, but I'll be surprised if he looks much different in November than he does right now.

With limited subs by Painter, the team was worn out before the jump ball.

He sure didn't change his body from 19 to 20, not really sure how much different 20 to 21 will be. He just doesn't have that body type. We have guys coming in as freshman that have better D1 bodies right now than he does. Glad to be wrong on this one, but I'll be surprised if he looks much different in November than he does right now.

Some guys do just need to be older than most, and he did bulk up a little (he was a stick last year, now he's just skinny). I think he will add another 5ish pounds this next season.

He just needs to stop disappearing randomly, was awesome against other athletic guards like Tennessee and Arizona.

Spencer, I think, will get a shot at the next level. He is so skilled, such a good shooter, and is just really, really smart.
Respectfully disagree. Too heavy footed for a 2 guard and already too old (24). He can definitely make good money overseas though.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
IMO fletch should come off the bench next year as the designated zone buster/ change-of-pace shooter….

Run, run, and run some more with the kids.
He's gonna have to make a move similar to Smith to stay as a starter I think.

Some guys do just need to be older than most, and he did bulk up a little (he was a stick last year, now he's just skinny). I think he will add another 5ish pounds this next season.

He just needs to stop disappearing randomly, was awesome against other athletic guards like Tennessee and Arizona.
Look, I have nothing against Loyer, but adding 5 lbs to that body is going to make zero difference in what we are talking about. Now that doesn't mean he can't be a meaningful contributor. But for those thinking he's going to look much different physically than he does right now, or be much stronger than he is, I think they are going to be disappointed. I just don't think he has that body type.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT