ADVERTISEMENT

U.S. Olympic Basketball

Region Mike

Gold Member
Sep 17, 2001
I would like the Olympic team to be assembled of players who have not previously won a Gold medal. This would allow more players to experience this event.
It would probably be much more competitive and interesting. Durant going for his 4th gold medal, and LeBron his 3rd seems to get in the way of young players being offered the opportunity. 7 of the 11 players have already won at least 1. The US might not win under this scenario, but spreading this experience would mean a lot to other players.

Reactions: Riveting
I would like the Olympic team to be assembled of players who have not previously won a Gold medal. This would allow more players to experience this event.
It would probably be much more competitive and interesting. Durant going for his 4th gold medal, and LeBron his 3rd seems to get in the way of young players being offered the opportunity. 7 of the 11 players have already won at least 1. The US might not win under this scenario, but spreading this experience would mean a lot to other players.
While I understand the sentiment, are you going to deny Simone Biles or Michael Phelps or Katie Ledecky?

Focus on men's basketball which the U.S.
has totally dominated since putting pros in the games.

What's the difference between that and the athletes I listed? How can you deny someone who wants to compete for a gold medal? In any sport? Should the Soviet Union have sent their "B" team to Lake Placid because they had dominated for 16 years or so?

You are going up against the best in the world and in an event that the gap between the US and other countries is narrowing as those other countries have sent their best.

You send who gives you the best chance to win it all. Sorry but to me the Olympics isn't a venue where you go to get "experience" you go to win gold.

My thoughts are you should send the nba champions rather than a group of all stars. Sometimes we have too many stars and not enough role players.
Pozingis and the other 3 international players on their team may have something to say about that. Or Toronto. Or the players on the team who simply just don’t want to participate.

It’s not a question of ability or even lack of role players, it’s effort. And I don’t think that changes with the Celtics vs our all-stars.

Reactions: Do Dah Day and BBG
My thoughts are you should send the nba champions rather than a group of all stars. Sometimes we have too many stars and not enough role players.

I would like a hybrid model where the champion team could add a few guys for their Olympic bid to have available in case their key star would go down or just have an off game. But starting with the champs is logical.

Uh, no we haven’t. We lost the gold medal game in 2004, and barely beat France in 2021, after losing to them in the group stage…

This isn’t rec ball, where everyone gets a chance to play.

Reactions: BoilerAndy and BBG
2021 isn't. And this year's team had several close calls in pool play.
5 Gold Medals in a row. Still feel the team should be made up of non gold medal winners. All the other teams have no gold medal winners. It would be much more interesting, while giving other players the opportunity.

5 Gold Medals in a row. Still feel the team should be made up of non gold medal winners. All the other teams have no gold medal winners. It would be much more interesting, while giving other players the opportunity.
The other teams have no gold medal winners because the US has won 5 golds in a row. Not sure what that proves.

This was far from a "domination." Curry went off 2 games in a row to save them.

And not one in any form of a "dominant" fashion. Other countries field their best so there is ZERO reason for us to do the same unless we want to lose. We very nearly lost the game before the one against France and needed heroics to win that one.. and it was not a dominant win.. that one would have been lost by players going for an "experience".

You go to the Olympics to win.. not for an experience.

You must not have watched the games if you think we were anything close to “dominant”.

We will have a hard time winning in 2028 even with our best players.

You must not have watched the games if you think we were anything close to “dominant”.

We will have a hard time winning in 2028 even with our best players.
Yeah, considering the "old guard" had to do just about everything this year.

And not one in any form of a "dominant" fashion. Other countries field their best so there is ZERO reason for us to do the same unless we want to lose. We very nearly lost the game before the one against France and needed heroics to win that one.. and it was not a dominant win.. that one would have been lost by players going for an "experience".

You go to the Olympics to win.. not for an experience.
that's just sad

that's just sad
Well I'd say that I am sorry it hurt your feelings, but I would have to care in the first place.

Every other country on the planet is sending their best and we should too. The whole goal is to win gold... you'll never hear someone that won a gold say "oh I don't care about this medal, I am just here for the experience".

Reactions: New Pal Boiler
Now if you want something that is painful to watch, the women's gamer this morning is that. Holy cow.
Switching gears but same topic, I didn’t care to see Gabby Williams playing for France. I understand she has dual citizenship but she was born and raised in the US and I might even give her a break if both her parents were from France and she was just born here.

Reactions: BBG
Switching gears but same topic, I didn’t care to see Gabby Williams playing for France. I understand she has dual citizenship but she was born and raised in the US and I might even give her a break if both her parents were from France and she was just born here.
Did you not like Embiid playing for the US then too?

And what if GiCarri made the Mexico team and played in the Olympics for them?

Last edited:
I was fine with it he went to high school college and pros in the us. Gabby never even lived in France.
There are many, many, many situations of athletes having dual citizenship. So many more than we even know. I don't think it's fair to question anyone's motives when it comes to this issue. It's a personal choice.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
I was fine with it he went to high school college and pros in the us. Gabby never even lived in France.
Embiid played 2 years in HS and 1 in college in the US. He holds citizenship in France and Cameroon.

And what about our very own GiCarri Harris? Had he played for Mexico…what would you have thought?

Now that I agree with.. Same with the pole vaulter that broke the world record.. his dad is American and he went to LSU I think or something like that.. lives in America.. yet went for Sweden when he certainly would have made the US team.

That does irk me some.. you live here, train here, go to school here yet go play for another country against us.

But flip side, I forget the guys name on the US mens basketball team, but he is from another country and played for us. I guess it goes both ways.. but seems to go our way to a lesser extent.

There are many, many, many situations of athletes having dual citizenship. So many more than we even know. I don't think it's fair to question anyone's motives when it comes to this issue. It's a personal choice.
But it shouldn’t be a personal choice you represent your country. There will be circumstances like this where there is dual citizenship. I understand and am not suggesting any rules be changed. I’m not saying she COULDNT play for France just it bothered me and yea I’m being judgy. Embiid got booed and he made his choice knowing he would be judged. I don’t like being judgey but people make decisions knowing the consequences will be that your going to be judged and catch criticism for it.

Embiid played 2 years in HS and 1 in college in the US. He holds citizenship in France and Cameroon.

And what about our very own GiCarri Harris? Had he played for Mexico…what would you have thought?
I don’t think he ever lived in France like gabby and just became a citizen there in 2022 lol. Probably so he would play for them in 2024. If Cameroon had a basketball team in the Olympics I would not hold it against him if he wanted to play for Cameroon. He’s lived here 14 years since he was 16 and says he wanted to play for USA since his son was born here. Very different than gabby who never lived in France.

Same with Harris. Yes I would judge him if he played for Mexico if he could make the us team.

I don’t think he ever lived in France like gabby and just became a citizen there in 2022 lol. Probably so he would play for them in 2024. If Cameroon had a basketball team in the Olympics I would not hold it against him if he wanted to play for Cameroon. He’s lived here 14 years since he was 16 and says he wanted to play for USA since his son was born here. Very different than gabby who never lived in France.

Same with Harris. Yes I would judge him if he played for Mexico if he could make the us team.
Got it. Hopefully you don’t watch the World Cup then where brothers play for different countries 😂

Well I'd say that I am sorry it hurt your feelings, but I would have to care in the first place.

Every other country on the planet is sending their best and we should too. The whole goal is to win gold... you'll never hear someone that won a gold say "oh I don't care about this medal, I am just here for the experience".
I'd offer contrary evidence, but something tells me you'd not get it anyway.

Last edited:
It appears breakdancing had a short stay and will not return. It will be missed by very few.
Andy, I know you are a BIG breakdancing guy
bear GIF

• Haha
Reactions: BoilerAndy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT