ADVERTISEMENT

TWO SIMPLE CHANGES WILL HELP!

Sep 27, 2009
If Purdue makes two simple changes, they will have a better chance to win dome games!

ONE: Use the blitz frequently! Most teams cannot handle the blitz well, and you risk very little using it!

TWO: Increase the size of the offensive line splits! This helps create holes for the running backs and improves blocking angles. ( This was the major change Bud Wilkinson made at Oklahoma and help them to their 47 game winning streak)

And if these changes for some reason don't work, Purdue to can always go back to what they are now doing, which we know isn't working!

If Purdue makes two simple changes, they will have a better chance to win dome games!

ONE: Use the blitz frequently! Most teams cannot handle the blitz well, and you risk very little using it!

TWO: Increase the size of the offensive line splits! This helps create holes for the running backs and improves blocking angles. ( This was the major change Bud Wilkinson made at Oklahoma and help them to their 47 game winning streak)

And if these changes for some reason don't work, Purdue to can always go back to what they are now doing, which we know isn't working!
Regarding #1 - I wonder if this is a function of our secondary being young and not wanting to leave them on an island.

I do agree more blitzes would be a good thing. I feel like we need to dial up pressure since our front 3/4 can’t get enough pressure solo.

I thought our OLine opened a lot of holes for the RBs. They were able to get trough the DLine almost every run. When we did blitz we put pressure on them. But you can’t blitz everytime...

Regarding #1 - I wonder if this is a function of our secondary being young and not wanting to leave them on an island.

I do agree more blitzes would be a good thing. I feel like we need to dial up pressure since our front 3/4 can’t get enough pressure solo.

You saw how bad leaving the CB’s on an island ended up...losing Smiley is a much bigger loss than anyone could have foreseen. There needs to be some wake up calls because I honestly think the issue is mainly effort based and that is guys taking plays off. Brohm has mentioned that being a problem since the start of camp and if they have to take things away (access to players lounge, access to locker room and use bathrooms) then so be it.

You saw how bad leaving the CB’s on an island ended up...losing Smiley is a much bigger loss than anyone could have foreseen. There needs to be some wake up calls because I honestly think the issue is mainly effort based and that is guys taking plays off. Brohm has mentioned that being a problem since the start of camp and if they have to take things away (access to players lounge, access to locker room and use bathrooms) then so be it.
I think I missed the news but what is the word with Smiley?

It is somewhat obvious that the energy and intensity hasn’t been there all the way. We go in spurts where it seems like we are ready to crush people and the next play we give up 25 on a 3rd and 18.

I thought our OLine opened a lot of holes for the RBs. They were able to get trough the DLine almost every run. When we did blitz we put pressure on them. But you can’t blitz everytime...
I agree, but it makes sense to blitz in obvious passing situations, but it appears Purdue would rather sit back and hope the other quarterback misfires!

Our secondary are not young. Corners, Blackmon and Cason are both seniors, as is Thieneman, and Mosely is at least a junior. Problem is neither corner can cover his man.

The way I see it, the defense, for the most part, played well enough to squeak out a win. After we took the lead, 19-17, defense comes through with the INT. Offense responded with 4 plays, -1 yard, missed FG, 1:44 taken off the clock. That was the game. Defensive penalty and conversion on 4th and 15 killed, but if O can punch it in, we are up 26-17.

I agree, but it makes sense to blitz in obvious passing situations, but it appears Purdue would rather sit back and hope the other quarterback misfires!

The last drive of the game we blitzed on pass downs and were successful. The lack of pass rush is not why they scored. The first touchdown was on a blitz and the play was kinda a fluke. The other touchdown we did not blitz on the big passing plays but they were not at “obvious” passing plays, in particular when their backup QB threw he pass to their third string TE. No one in the stadium expected a pass play there. That represents 17 of their 20 points with the other score on the sloppy last drive of the first half. Therefore I don’t think you can put their scoring on lack of blitzing or blame the oline for not making holes as was suggested by the initial post. Lots of reasons we lost but those two were not key factors.

I think I missed the news but what is the word with Smiley?

It is somewhat obvious that the energy and intensity hasn’t been there all the way. We go in spurts where it seems like we are ready to crush people and the next play we give up 25 on a 3rd and 18.
Smiley had a deep laceration that required stitches and was put in to concussion protocol that he hasn’t cleared yet. Many, myself included, think he is probably the most talented DB on the roster.

Smiley had a deep laceration that required stitches and was put in to concussion protocol that he hasn’t cleared yet. Many, myself included, think he is probably the most talented DB on the roster.
Yikes. Well guess that is better than us thinking he had a broken jaw.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT