ADVERTISEMENT

Trump gets his Master

Newsweek speculated that Obama would be a good choice as the Special Master given his security clearance and knowledge of the law-won't happen but coming up with a good candidate will be controversial no matter who is appointed.

Reactions: Boilermaker03
Newsweek speculated that Obama would be a good choice as the Special Master given his security clearance and knowledge of the law-won't happen but coming up with a good candidate will be controversial no matter who is appointed.
If you're going with someone this fair minded why not go ahead and name Hillary?

I suspect every suspect who has items seized from their home will now demand a Special Master. I would imagine the DOJ will appeal because of the potential problems this ruling will cause for the future. The DOJ was primarily wanting to keep the seized items out of the wrong hands so surely we will have them secured in a safe place while this case meanders along over the next several years.

I suspect every suspect who has items seized from their home will now demand a Special Master. I would imagine the DOJ will appeal because of the potential problems this ruling will cause for the future. The DOJ was primarily wanting to keep the seized items out of the wrong hands so surely we will have them secured in a safe place while this case meanders along over the next several years.
Maybe they'll secure them and release them in 50 years like the Kennedy assasination records. Oh wait they still haven't been released.

Reactions: Boilermaker03
Interesting that an unqualified 38 year old with no experience was the judge they shopped for this. Basically they gave a little leaguer a lifetime job in the majors.
Seems like a straightforward case.

I believe I heard that she made a comment in her initial ruling along the lines of, if the DOJ is so concerned with keeping the info safe, why do leaks keep coming out to friendly media outlets?

It's a good question to ask of the DOJ, don't you agree?

Seems like a straightforward case.

I believe I heard that she made a comment in her initial ruling along the lines of, if the DOJ is so concerned with keeping the info safe, why do leaks keep coming out to friendly media outlets?

It's a good question to ask of the DOJ, don't you agree?
There are loads of legal experts that have questioned most of her ruling. Does this look like somebody that should have gotten a lifetime appointment as a judge? This to me looks like the politicization of the judicial system. Her only qualification was her membership in the Federalist Society and Trump and his lackeys have looked to bring cases to her in other situations as she is a "friendly" in a one-judge district. Would that be the definition of the "swamp" you guys keep talking about?

There are loads of legal experts that have questioned most of her ruling. Does this look like somebody that should have gotten a lifetime appointment as a judge? This to me looks like the politicization of the judicial system. Her only qualification was her membership in the Federalist Society and Trump and his lackeys have looked to bring cases to her in other situations as she is a "friendly" in a one-judge district. Would that be the definition of the "swamp" you guys keep talking about?

Much more so than the newest Supreme Court Justice, who Brandon made clear during his basement campaign would be an affirmative action hire rather than one based on talent. That's one promise he kept.

Judge shopping is not at all unusual. Why, just a few weeks ago, DOJ went shopping and found a judge to approve the Mar-Lago search warrant who previously had helped prosecute Epstein until he suddenly resigned and went to work for Epstein, if I recall. @HoosierfanJM had no problems with that, and I bet you don't either.

You ducked my question about the numerous DOJ leaks pertaining to the super top secret information (not including Trump's passport, medical records, confidential attorney info, etc, that the FBI scooped up, apparently too incompetent to recognize what is top secret and what isn't - or else corrupt enough to want to grab it all to do a different type of shopping. Which do you think it was?

In my opinion Reinhardt was not “judge shopping “ and neither was Cannon.

It’s almost impossible to judge shop; it is far easier to “venue shop.”

Federal judges have to be appointed by a President, and Cannon’s resume is plenty experienced for the appointment, especially for Fort Pierce Florida. Appointing a younger person is also standard—that lifetime appointment has more lasting effect that way.

In that District there have been three federal judges involved recently, an Obama, a Bill Clinton, and a Trump appointee. Pretty straightforward.

Also, there has never been a contention that the warrant only allowed for seizure of classified or top secret documents. Nor would I expect that there would have been one.

Federal judges have to be appointed by a President, and her resume is plenty experienced for the appointment, especially for Fort Pierce Florida. Appointing a younger person is also standard—that lifetime appointment has more lasting effect that way.

In that District there have been three federal judges involved recently, an Obama, a Bill Clinton, and a Trump appointee. Pretty straightforward.
Well said, J-Mac... but why the delay on the screen name change?

• Haha
Reactions: HoosierfanJM

Federal judges have to be appointed by a President, and Cannon’s resume is plenty experienced for the appointment, especially for Fort Pierce Florida. Appointing a younger person is also standard—that lifetime appointment has more lasting effect that way.

Also, there has never been a contention that the warrant only allowed for seizure of classified or top secret documents. Nor would I expect that there would have been one.
But that venue only has one judge....Correct?

By this, are you saying it was fine for the FBI to scoop up medical records, passports and so forth?

But that venue only has one judge....Correct?
No. It’s part of a big district. Fort pierce through the Florida Keys is the Southern District of Florida judicial draw pool.

For the magistrate one would stay in the locality, which was West Palm Beach. And there are multiple magistrates and multiple federal judges in West Palm Beach. But for a federal judge, not a magistrate, that heard the special master issue, any judge in the district is in the draw pool.

By this, are you saying it was fine for the FBI to scoop up medical records, passports and so forth?
Potentially. Potentially not. For instance, a passport could help inform whether a particular subject was physically in the country when potential criminal activity took place. That’s purely an example, not based on the probable cause affidavit, which none of us have read the substance of.

That’s why there is an internal review team to separate out documents that are in question; proof of travel, potentially privileged records, and the like.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bill4411
Potentially. Potentially not. For instance, a passport could help inform whether a particular subject was physically in the country when potential criminal activity took place. That’s purely an example, not based on the probable cause affidavit, which none of us have read the substance of.
Trump never goes anywhere without plenty of press and attention.

Maybe you are getting this confused with Hunter and Joe and their business travels on AF2 to various countries for the Biden crime family?

Last edited:

But there’s no reason for a judge to include classified documents in the material to be reviewed by a magistrate. Trump has no legal rights to those documents. How are you going to find a special master that has clearance to review the documents and one who is agreeable to both sides? Can’t trump just object to the special master over and over ?

Last edited:
But there’s no reason for a judge to include classified documents in the material to be reviewed by a magistrate. Trump has no legal rights to those documents. How are you going to find a special master that has clearance to review the documents and one who is agreeable to both sides? Can’t THE DOJ just object to the special master over and over ?
FIFY!!

Trump never goes anywhere without plenty of press and attention.

Maybe you are getting this confused with Hunter and Joe and their business travels on AF2 to various countries for the Biden crime family?
This is completely theoretical, but say he flew in through Los Angeles at 9:00 am on the morning the docs were purportedly compiled and attested to. Evidence of travel can be helpful.

And again, without knowing what the probable cause was, it is all but impossible to accurately assess what was relevant.

But there’s no reason for a judge to include classified documents in the material to be reviewed by a magistrate. Trump has no legal rights to those documents. How are you going to find a special master that has clearance to review the documents and one who is agreeable to both sides? Can’t trump just object to the special master over and over ?
The Special Master does not have to be agreeable to both sides. The Special Master has to be agreeable to the judge.

Bob is saying Trump has no legal rights to those docs, but that has yet to be determined.

What say you?
Yet to be determined. The Special would decide if there’s anything privileged, etc and return them.

That wouldn’t necessarily mean that they were seized in bad faith, but would allow Trump to see them.

FWIW, I don’t think the Special Master is a big deal either way. It’ll slow things down a bit, but nothing public was going to happen before the midterms anyway. IMO the primary reason for the DOJ appeal is to prevent a precedent in which all kinds of case targets (or in this case, subjects) can ask for the same treatment and delay an investigation through a Special Master appointment.

Reactions: Bill4411
Yet to be determined. The Special would decide if there’s anything privileged, etc and return them.

That wouldn’t necessarily mean that they were seized in bad faith, but would allow Trump to see them.

FWIW, I don’t think the Special Master is a big deal either way. It’ll slow things down a bit, but nothing public was going to happen before the midterms anyway. IMO the primary reason for the DOJ appeal is to prevent a precedent in which all kinds of case targets (or in this case, subjects) can ask for the same treatment and delay an investigation through a Special Master appointment.
Maybe...unless the appeal is really intended to slow the process down so that FBI/DOJ corruption is not revealed until after the midterms, not that any thinking person would trust those entities after all the corruption that has been proven in the recent past.

But Bob trusts them.

Maybe...unless the appeal is really intended to slow the process down so that FBI/DOJ corruption is not revealed until after the midterms, not that any thinking person would trust those entities after all the corruption that has been proven in the recent past.

But Bob trusts them.
Lol. That’s quite a theory and not the case.

I don’t really care what “Bob” thinks or your theories. Neither does the FBI or DOJ.

Theories without evidence or oversight suck. I care about available facts and circumstances, and known legal process and precedent. It’s a message board and certainly appropriate to speculate wildly, but that kind of theorizing and speculation in no way leads to logical conclusions.

Reactions: indy35 and Bill4411

That’s why there is an internal review team to separate out documents that are in question; proof of travel, potentially privileged records, and the like.
If any classified documents were stored with his personal records or documents, as is alleged by DOJ, it proves trump was aware of them and can’t blame their existence at MAR was somebody else’s fault. For example, his passports were in the same desk drawer as his passports.

The Special Master does not have to be agreeable to both sides. The Special Master has to be agreeable to the judge.
Is there an appeal process for who the judge chooses? I keep reading that it will be difficult to choose a special master that is agreeable to both sides. Why would it matter considering the judge is making the decision?

• Haha
Reactions: Crayfish57
Is there an appeal process for who the judge chooses? I keep reading that it will be difficult to choose a special master that is agreeable to both sides. Why would it matter considering the judge is making the decision?
Yes; it can be appealed, but the judge is aware of that possibility and will likely appoint someone who will not be successfully appealed.

If any classified documents were stored with his personal records or documents, as is alleged by DOJ, it proves trump was aware of them and can’t blame their existence at MAR was somebody else’s fault. For example, his passports were in the same desk drawer as his passports.
That would be pretty darn circumstantial. Would need to prove that no one—no one else but Trump had access to the storage area containing his personal records.

it’s far easier to get testimony of who discussed which records existed, where they were, and any attempt to obstruct.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT