ADVERTISEMENT

Trevion puttin’ In some work

It really is quite simple. Tre at 6'9" and 265 pounds does a very good job handling the ball. I think I may have already said that? Tre is very skilled and working hard and I wish him well. Tre does a good job dribbling behind his back and through his legs...nobody was knocking Tre at all.

However, what I said is 100% correct. Anyone that "teaches" a reverse dribble knows you must keep the ball in close and PULL the ball with the hand already on it following your leg in a similar drop step fashion. Not doing that loses space and takes longer. My issue if you read it again will probably show a concern for the "coach" not helping Tre with this as playing in the low post which Tre will some if not all will benefit from a proper reverse dribble and drop step than going through his legs which is more beneficial facing the basket. It is not about me, but I do hate seeing coaches not helping with everything when something can be fixed. (I never mentioned in one shot Tre's wrist turning inward instead of towards the basket (a sign of fatigue) as were most of his shots. I have a lot of hope for that young man and know it is the little things that make a difference and hope he gets help on every single little thing that can be helped...

I don't criticize players, but can and do critique them in things that could help them...and...improvement for Tre in his reverse dribble will help Tre...and I want him to reach his goals.

This.

Occasionally, there are posts focusing on the players, and for many it's simple critique, not criticism. Too often the two are confused or misunderstood by fans/friends/family, thinking it's unwarranted criticism. It's not. We just love to talk Purdue basketball here.

This.

Occasionally, there are posts focusing on the players, and for many it's simple critique, not criticism. Too often the two are confused or misunderstood by fans/friends/family, thinking it's unwarranted criticism. It's not. We just love to talk Purdue basketball here.
In case it isn't obvious to some...I'm probably a bit more discerning on fundamentals than many...just the way I'm wired... ;)

Nojel has more to his game than what was showed bcuz he wasn’t confident in his shooting which took some toll on other parts of his game but passing the ball whether to the post or cross court or any facet of passing that was never and never will be an issue for a kid who loves to pass the ball anyway. A confident Nojel is gonna be a problem if u ever saw him play in HS he did it all pass shoot rebounded played all 5 positions and displayed an ability to break defenses down offensively whether it be passing attackingbthe basket feeding the past scoring in a variety of ways posting up making his teammates so much better bcuz most teams defenses was trying to stop him offensively bcuz he cud do everything and whatever defenses through at him he countered with other ways of beating teams with either passin scoring shooting posting setting his teammates up to score themselves he just found ways no matter what defense through at him his play making skills always kicked in and that kid come back with his confidence in all aspects of his game including shooting the ball like he did b4 trust me you haven’t seen what he can do yet why he and all the others are working on there games to come back with lots to prove to themselves that that will be contenders to win the big 10 title again and get past the elite 8 and try all they can to win a national championship that is why these young skilled talented players are working they hungry and ready to prove to themsel they are gonna be in dog fights in games I’m excited to watch these boys grow and mature what we all gonna see is a team of players knowing what’s stacked up against them like every season when u loose players doubted why they working to show what they lost like every team do they still gonna be darn good bcuz they know what others are saying they working to prove them wrong once again.
TReed I’ve always wondered what does the offseason look like for the players? Like in Nojel’s case. They work on their game at PU until the spring semester is over and then go home and work with a specific coach/instructor you hire or volunteer. Does he go back for summer school and work on his game back at PU. Back at school do most of the players scrimmage together in the off season? Just wondering?

Reactions: Zaphod_B
It really is quite simple. Tre at 6'9" and 265 pounds does a very good job handling the ball. I think I may have already said that? Tre is very skilled and working hard and I wish him well. Tre does a good job dribbling behind his back and through his legs...nobody was knocking Tre at all.

However, what I said is 100% correct. Anyone that "teaches" a reverse dribble knows you must keep the ball in close and PULL the ball with the hand already on it following your leg in a similar drop step fashion. Not doing that loses space and takes longer. My issue if you read it again will probably show a concern for the "coach" not helping Tre with this as playing in the low post which Tre will some if not all will benefit from a proper reverse dribble and drop step than going through his legs which is more beneficial facing the basket. It is not about me, but I do hate seeing coaches not helping with everything when something can be fixed. (I never mentioned in one shot Tre's wrist turning inward instead of towards the basket (a sign of fatigue) as were most of his shots. I have a lot of hope for that young man and know it is the little things that make a difference and hope he gets help on every single little thing that can be helped...

I don't criticize players, but can and do critique them in things that could help them...and...improvement for Tre in his reverse dribble will help Tre...and I want him to reach his goals.
With that being said you don’t think he’s working on those things as we speak u saw 1 video of a kid working on them maybe not to perfection but working on them and I’m sure whoever is training him knows exactly how to help improve on his ball handling and other areas of his game I’m certain of it too bcuz I talk to the mom all the time not saying your wrong but I’m sure what areas of his game he needs improvement on he’s working on them.i never said u criticized him but you critiquing him it’s an opinion and note worthy but only those around him will let him know what areas and things he needs to know including this guy in the video who u say u hate coaches don’t teach the right way how do u know he isn’t teaching the right way it’s 1 video you saw is all I’m saying. That video obviously is basically showing this kid is putting in work on his game and he has loads of potential that he’s giving the fans something to be excited about this upcoming season and we all get a glimpse of this kid training in the off season to get better.

In case it isn't obvious to some...I'm probably a bit more discerning on fundamentals than many...just the way I'm wired... ;)
It’s all good sir I do understand too u seem very passionate about what your knowledge is and appreciate your insight and concerns for this young man and guess what I’ll tell him what u said so he at least be aware of it. Keep teaching and critiquing about the fundamentals bcuz it’s true all of them gotta keep working on there fundamental of there game

TReed I’ve always wondered what does the offseason look like for the players? Like in Nojel’s case. They work on their game at PU until the spring semester is over and then go home and work with a specific coach/instructor you hire or volunteer. Does he go back for summer school and work on his game back at PU. Back at school do most of the players scrimmage together in the off season? Just wondering?
They all are busy doing whatever they do in the off-season I’m sure like most do working on there game or whatever painter may feel they can improve on they work on it just not sure who they work with. As for my son he has a few high end trainers he works with sure and yes he goes back for summer school and works out there as well. They all make each other better so I’m sure when they back on campus they scrimmaging each other to me that builds chemistry on and off the court.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
With that being said you don’t think he’s working on those things as we speak u saw 1 video of a kid working on them maybe not to perfection but working on them and I’m sure whoever is training him knows exactly how to help improve on his ball handling and other areas of his game I’m certain of it too bcuz I talk to the mom all the time not saying your wrong but I’m sure what areas of his game he needs improvement on he’s working on them.i never said u criticized him but you critiquing him it’s an opinion and note worthy but only those around him will let him know what areas and things he needs to know including this guy in the video who u say u hate coaches don’t teach the right way how do u know he isn’t teaching the right way it’s 1 video you saw is all I’m saying. That video obviously is basically showing this kid is putting in work on his game and he has loads of potential that he’s giving the fans something to be excited about this upcoming season and we all get a glimpse of this kid training in the off season to get better.
Well, I think there is a failure to communicate. First, nobody is suggesting that Tre is not working on his game. Second, nobody is suggesting that Tre is not improving. Third, nobody is suggesting either than the coach is or is NOT correcting the reverse dribble.

What was suggested was the error in the reverse dribble and a desire for the coach to help him correct that due to the advantages of doing so FOR TRE! I gain no benefit if corrected...only Tre...and his team.

Well, I think there is a failure to communicate. First, nobody is suggesting that Tre is not working on his game. Second, nobody is suggesting that Tre is not improving. Third, nobody is suggesting either than the coach is or is NOT correcting the reverse dribble…just that I want the coach to help him

What was suggested was the error in the reverse dribble and a desire for the coach to help him correct that due to the advantages of doing so FOR TRE! I gain no benefit if corrected...only Tre...and his team.

Here is exactly what was said in my original comments. Read it a few times and you might change your opinion of what was actually said. I know you are a momma bear defending the team, but I’m not attacking a team that I too love. Here is the UNEDITED post…
Good to see him working. He has a shot for a bright future if he works as though there is no tomorrow, because somebody on another team is working hard. If his endurance improves, he will be a force. Happy for him. Now, if the coach in the video will help him a bit with his reverse dribble, his move will improve a sec and the D will have less room to recover. He keeps his hand on the ball (good), but doesn't pull it enough and doesn't keep it close enough to his body until he switches hands and so he goes wider than he should. That ball and leg need to move together to take up the distance and get his position on the reverse.

Tre is working hard...coach..help him a bit more to get there!!!

It’s all good sir I do understand too u seem very passionate about what your knowledge is and appreciate your insight and concerns for this young man and guess what I’ll tell him what u said so he at least be aware of it. Keep teaching and critiquing about the fundamentals bcuz it’s true all of them gotta keep working on there fundamental of there game
thank you..please read my response on what I actually said and you will see...I'm very supportive

thank you..please read my response on what I actually said and you will see...I'm very supportive
Well, I think there is a failure to communicate. First, nobody is suggesting that Tre is not working on his game. Second, nobody is suggesting that Tre is not improving. Third, nobody is suggesting either than the coach is or is NOT correcting the reverse dribble.

Well, I think there is a failure to communicate. First, nobody is suggesting that Tre is not working on his game. Second, nobody is suggesting that Tre is not improving. Third, nobody is suggesting either than the coach is or is NOT correcting the reverse dribble…just that I want the coach to help him

Here is exactly what was said in my original comments. Read it a few times and you might change your opinion of what was actually said. I know you are a momma bear defending the team, but I’m not attacking a team that I too love. Here is the UNEDITED post…
Good to see him working. He has a shot for a bright future if he works as though there is no tomorrow, because somebody on another team is working hard. If his endurance improves, he will be a force. Happy for him. Now, if the coach in the video will help him a bit with his reverse dribble, his move will improve a sec and the D will have less room to recover. He keeps his hand on the ball (good), but doesn't pull it enough and doesn't keep it close enough to his body until he switches hands and so he goes wider than he should. That ball and leg need to move together to take up the distance and get his position on the reverse.

Tre is working hard...coach..help him a bit more to get there!!!
Listen sir imma leave this be so this don’t turn into something more than what it is I gotcha

I remember watching his high school vids and was really impressed at his handles for his size. Wasn't unusual to see him get a defensive rb and then lead the break down the floor.
Maybe Painter will set up some nice iso plays for him this year and make the other teams big have to guard him outside the paint.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
They all are busy doing whatever they do in the off-season I’m sure like most do working on there game or whatever painter may feel they can improve on they work on it just not sure who they work with. As for my son he has a few high end trainers he works with sure and yes he goes back for summer school and works out there as well. They all make each other better so I’m sure when they back on campus they scrimmaging each other to me that builds chemistry on and off the court.

Back when I was in school the basketball players and a lot of football players (who happened to be good hoops players) would run at the co-rec. Sometimes they'd run against a regular group of guys but that wasn't even remotely competitive for them.
Do the players scrimmage only at Mackey or do they still play at the corec?

Back when I was in school the basketball players and a lot of football players (who happened to be good hoops players) would run at the co-rec. Sometimes they'd run against a regular group of guys but that wasn't even remotely competitive for them.
I’m sure many of them do some form or another I’m not sure my son gets some run in when he’s home bcuz hoopers hooo no matter what.

I’m sure many of them do some form or another I’m not sure my son gets some run in when he’s home bcuz hoopers hooo no matter what.
There used to be a gym in Chicago, believe it was around Michigan/Randolph or somewhere in that area where Jordan and other NBA guys would play pickup.
Not sure if they still run there but does Nojel play with guys downtown when he's home?

There used to be a gym in Chicago, believe it was around Michigan/Randolph or somewhere in that area where Jordan and other NBA guys would play pickup.
Not sure if they still run there but does Nojel play with guys downtown when he's home?
They don’t play there anymore but he’ll be playing some pickup gams with some nba caliber players this summer for sure.

Reactions: bonefish1

I remember trying to guard Willie Deane at the co-rec.

I could move pretty well and hold my own, but he made me feel like I was operating in slow motion.

Reactions: tjreese

I could move pretty well and hold my own, but he made me feel like I was operating in slow motion.
Yeah, a lot of match-ups are you'll never remember. But I'll bet a lot of former Big 10 players still remember trying to match up with Willie.

That's pretty funny. You could always tell when a hoops player or really good FB player was at the co-rec because people would stop to watch.
I loved Willie Deane, he was very underappreciated but pretty similar game to Carsen.
I played some with Shawn Kemp at the Elkhart Y in the mid-80's. I think he literally jumped over me a few times.

I remember watching his high school vids and was really impressed at his handles for his size. Wasn't unusual to see him get a defensive rb and then lead the break down the floor.
Maybe Painter will set up some nice iso plays for him this year and make the other teams big have to guard him outside the paint.
Agree. He could easily be used to take advantage of a mismatch with isolations...be it taking a slow guy out or a smaller guy in.

That's pretty funny. You could always tell when a hoops player or really good FB player was at the co-rec because people would stop to watch.
I loved Willie Deane, he was very underappreciated but pretty similar game to Carsen.
I played some with Shawn Kemp at the Elkhart Y in the mid-80's. I think he literally jumped over me a few times.

"Ohhhhh....KEMP letting Lenny have it with the THROWdown facial!"

giphy.gif

marv.jpg

Last edited:

It's interesting how things like that have evolved. I grew up 15+ years before AAU. We either drove to Lebanon Park to play Mount and his guys or they drove to Lafayette to meet us at Murdoch park - sweep the acorns off the court and have at it. Then it moved to the co-rec. Frosh couldn't play Varsity then, so the frosh recruits showed-up and just randomly grabbed some guys and waited for their turn. Tyrone Bedford and Jerry Johnson were in that class.
I0jSp.jpg

I assume you know why Harry's was called the CHOCOLATE SHOP!

Last edited:
I played with a group of buddies on Saturday mornings. Stayed later than normal one day and the Big Dog came walking in and told some kid on the team we were playing to take a seat.

First shot was a pretty lazy jumper from the elbow. Buddy of mine that looked chubby (was not, built like a brick shit house and could jump very well) the Dog got His shot blocked . The only thing that went wrong, is this guy looks at Glenn and told him not to bring that weak crap in here.

Holly crap did we get an education. Felt bad for my friend because the Dog was looking for him every time he touched the ball. Glenn became very found of dunking on him.

I played with a group of buddies on Saturday mornings. Stayed later than normal one day and the Big Dog came walking in and told some kid on the team we were playing to take a seat.

First shot was a pretty lazy jumper from the elbow. Buddy of mine that looked chubby (was not, built like a brick shit house and could jump very well) the Dog got His shot blocked . The only thing that went wrong, is this guy looks at Glenn and told him not to bring that weak crap in here.

Holly crap did we get an education. Felt bad for my friend because the Dog was looking for him every time he touched the ball. Glenn became very found of dunking on him.

That's an awesome story. I imagine GRob didn't think it was funny to have some stocky white kid talking smack to him. Keady said Glenn was the most competitive player he ever coached.
I was in school at the same time, probably played you at the co rec. Used to just grab 5 guys from the house and go run.
We had a nice court in back of the fraternity house. Painter was buddies with some guys in the house and used to come over to hangout, shoot hoops and party with us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT