ADVERTISEMENT

Tressel

njm8845

Senior
Jul 1, 2008
There was some speculation that Purdue was interested in Tressel during the last coaching search. I think this was mainly because Burke wanted Tressel's opinion on Hazell.

How would people feel about Purdue hiring Tressel. This would never happen, but I'm curious what the consensus is.

If Purdue hired him, we would be ineligble for bowl games for 5 years I believe. But I'd be pumped if Purdue was able to get him.

It sucks not going to a bowl game, but it's not like Purdue's going to bowl games anyway - might as well get 8 wins in the regular season and increase the excitement level in the program. He may not stay long, but he'd definitely elevate the program.

Re: Tressel...he surely has outlived his penalty....

for show cause to hire him. Purdue is ineligible for bowl games for eternity given the current athletic department anyway. It would be interesting to see.

Originally posted by njm8845:

If Purdue hired him, we would be ineligble for bowl games for 5 years I believe. But I'd be pumped if Purdue was able to get him.
per wiki:
"which means any NCAA member that wants to hire him would have to "show cause" for why it shouldn't be sanctioned for hiring him, and could face severe penalties if he commits any further violations during that time. The order stands until December 19, 2016; given past precedent, it will likely have the effect of blackballing Tressel from the coaching ranks until the 2017 season. If Tressel ever coaches again during this period, he will be suspended for the first five games of the regular season, plus any conference championship game or bowl game."

Originally posted by njm8845:
There was some speculation that Purdue was interested in Tressel during the last coaching search. I think this was mainly because Burke wanted Tressel's opinion on Hazell.

How would people feel about Purdue hiring Tressel. This would never happen, but I'm curious what the consensus is.

It sucks not going to a bowl game, but it's not like Purdue's going to bowl games anyway - might as well get 8 wins in the regular season and increase the excitement level in the program. He may not stay long, but he'd definitely elevate the program.
If Penn State can go to a bowl game one year after their sanctions for something as terrible as the facts indicate, we should be able to hire Tressel and be in line for a bowl game, too. This would be where the school would have to petition the leaders of the bowl games to get included. Now having seen the interest and approach from our school, the BOT, the President & the AD, I don't believe they have the interest and the heart to tackle that.

If Tressel were really that great of a hire somebody that is a little renegade would have bit the bullet already. If you can find another team with a record like ours and the integrity of IU, Miami or Memphis he'd have been snatched up already. Pay the price since you already suck then right the ship. Must either be no one as needy as we are or he not considered that good of a catch.

Originally posted by SIBoiler2:
If Tressel were really that great of a hire somebody that is a little renegade would have bit the bullet already. If you can find another team with a record like ours and the integrity of IU, Miami or Memphis he'd have been snatched up already. Pay the price since you already suck then right the ship. Must either be no one as needy as we are or he not considered that good of a catch.

He is a good coach. His reputation was tarnished by the way he handled things at OSU.

Also, why would he take a job at a small time program?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT