ADVERTISEMENT

Tre Williams...

He’s not coming out of the starting lineup... kid is a stud. Just needs to work on free throw. I knew he could score and board, but tonight he showed he can play some great D
I think as his conditioning improves, so will his FT shooting, hard to hit those when exhausted, which he appeared to be.

He’s not coming out of the starting lineup... kid is a stud. Just needs to work on free throw. I knew he could score and board, but tonight he showed he can play some great D

He and Eastern combined for 20pts & 20rebs. Tre's defense toward the end won't the game for us. And Grady finally got his deserved minutes tonight.

IF TRE DOESN'T STAY IN STARTING LINEUP THEN THERE'S SOMETHING WRONG. I WOULD TOTALLY CHANGE MY MIND ON PAINTER.

I think as his conditioning improves, so will his FT shooting, hard to hit those when exhausted, which he appeared to be.
Conditioning is always good. You simply can’t ever allow that to affect FT shooting. That’s why we all practice shooting them after sprints. It’s concentration rather than conditioning.

He and Eastern combined for 20pts & 20rebs. Tre's defense toward the end won't the game for us. And Grady finally got his deserved minutes tonight.

IF TRE DOESN'T STAY IN STARTING LINEUP THEN THERE'S SOMETHING WRONG. I WOULD TOTALLY CHANGE MY MIND ON PAINTER.
Eastern probably played his worst defensive game tonight. And he's such a liability at the line, I wouldn't have him on the floor in a tight finish. How many times can you let Happ screen you off your man, who scored at least four times off those screens because Nojel was lost.

Conditioning is always good. You simply can’t ever allow that to affect FT shooting. That’s why we all practice shooting them after sprints. It’s concentration rather than conditioning.
Yeah, I think that is true to an extent. I’m speaking from my experiences of going from an in-shape player to playing later in life and being out-of-shape and my body/mechanics not responding the same.

Reactions: BoilerDaddy
I think it's a shame that the only reason Tre has seen significant minutes lately is due to foul trouble and an injury. It makes me wonder what's going on in practice and what Painter is seeing in practice that makes him believe Haarms and EB are the best options.

I think it's a shame that the only reason Tre has seen significant minutes lately is due to foul trouble and an injury. It makes me wonder what's going on in practice and what Painter is seeing in practice that makes him believe Haarms and EB are the best options.
I’d be (unpleasantly) surprised if Tre does not start, or at least log the most mins at the 5 going forward.

He did a lot well but my fav part of his game is the ability to dish out of the post. He had one to Grady right in the heart of the circle and GE scored. And second...have you seen Happ get blocked like that before? Multiple times? Unbelievable defense on the best back to the basket center in the BIG

Reactions: Schnelk
I’d be (unpleasantly) surprised if Tre does not start, or at least log the most mins at the 5 going forward.
He should play until he's gassed the rest of the season.....which is what he should have been doing from the beginning of the season even if it was only 2 or 3 minute spurts.

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
Eastern probably played his worst defensive game tonight. And he's such a liability at the line, I wouldn't have him on the floor in a tight finish. How many times can you let Happ screen you off your man, who scored at least four times off those screens because Nojel was lost.
I disagree vehemently with all points.

His defense was anything but poor.

He should play until he's gassed the rest of the season.....which is what he should have been doing from the beginning of the season even if it was only 2 or 3 minute spurts.

What you don't seem to consider is the possibility that Tre wasn't the player at the beginning of the season that he is today, but from my limited perspective of having watched both scrimmages, that is indeed the case. Instead of saying what should have been done with him, why not credit both he and the staff for his improvement and view this as a positive?

I simply don't understand the need to turn Tre's surprising (to me at least) development into a criticism of the staff.

I disagree vehemently with all points.

His defense was anything but poor.

He didn't say ....poor. He said his worst defensive game ......still a good defensive game for NE....just not his best by far.

After all, he did foul a 3 point shooter...a cardinal sin for one example.

He didn't say ....poor. He said his worst defensive game ......still a good defensive game for NE....just not his best by far.

After all, he did foul a 3 point shooter...a cardinal sin for one example.
It was overtime. Well into the game and he made a challenge and made contact. Hardly unforgivable.

It was overtime. Well into the game and he made a challenge and made contact. Hardly unforgivable.

All I was saying by NE standards not his best game on D. A bad game on D by him is still way above average.....If you can understand that.

All I was saying by NE standards not his best game on D. A bad game on D by him is still way above average.....If you can understand that.
I can agree with that with that more then he just played a bad defense of game. But I still think there were moments of exceptional defense from Nojel Eastern. He was all over the floor sometimes guarding two or three people during the offense of set

I’m really impressed with Tre. As other have said he has great court awareness and passing. He’s also impressively quick for being such a big body. Seeing him dive on the floor for loose balls had me standing and cheering.

What you don't seem to consider is the possibility that Tre wasn't the player at the beginning of the season that he is today, but from my limited perspective of having watched both scrimmages, that is indeed the case. Instead of saying what should have been done with him, why not credit both he and the staff for his improvement and view this as a positive?

I simply don't understand the need to turn Tre's surprising (to me at least) development into a criticism of the staff.
Are you saying that the staff developed Tre's passing skills, rebounds skills, post skills, and court vision in the 6 months that he has been at Purdue?....NO, they didn't. He's developed those skills through years of playing basketball. His "development" is merely adjusting to the speed and size of the college.....which you get BY PLAYING IN REAL GAMES.

Are you saying that the staff developed Tre's passing skills, rebounds skills, post skills, and court vision in the 6 months that he has been at Purdue?....NO, they didn't. He's developed those skills through years of playing basketball. His "development" is merely adjusting to the speed and size of the college.....which you get BY PLAYING IN REAL GAMES.
Give credit to Painter for recognizing those skills for a big man when others obviously didn't see them -- or thought Tre was too much of a project. Many on here blamed Painter for recruiting a project that no other P5 team wanted. Give him the same credit for knowing when the "project" is ready.

Possessing those skills doesn't mean he was ready to play extended time when he arrived at Purdue. The coaching staff obviously got him ready. I will also point out that court vision and passing skills don't do any good if they are not used in the structure that your teammates are playing. Throwing an excellent pass to a player who isn't there is a turnover. There is a lot of communication that has to happen for some of the plays we see Tre making, and the staff has a role there as well.

I really like Tre. I’ll give Painter for pulling him in. Who else did he have offers from?
He’s going to be a Nick Ward type player.

I can agree with that with that more then he just played a bad defense of game. But I still think there were moments of exceptional defense from Nojel Eastern. He was all over the floor sometimes guarding two or three people during the offense of set
And he was all over the floor trying to get around Happ's screens while his man was scoring a bunch of points. Once, you figure okay....five times is a horrible defensive effort. Happ set the screens the same way each time, moving Nojel the same direction. And yes, he did have some very good defensive efforts, but it was a horrible game for him. And if you remember I've said I don't care if he scores a point as long as he plays great defense.

And he was all over the floor trying to get around Happ's screens while his man was scoring a bunch of points. Once, you figure okay....five times is a horrible defensive effort. Happ set the screens the same way each time, moving Nojel the same direction. And yes, he did have some very good defensive efforts, but it was a horrible game for him. And if you remember I've said I don't care if he scores a point as long as he plays great defense.
Glad to see you can find a reason to shit on a beautiful day.

Damn it, still can't find the LOVE button

In defense of Nojel, Happ sets a ton of moving screens and gets away with it. He will screen and "roll" quickly right into the defender that is trying to get around the pick. On one of those Trice 3's he looked like a tight end setting a lead block for his RB. Nojel needs to fight around those screens quicker, but if Tre or Haarms tried to set a pick like that it would be a foul everytime.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT