ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue recruiting Tonight at West Lafayette High School

Brian_GoldandBlack.com

Jun 18, 2003
West Lafayette, Ind.
It was a pretty busy night at West Side for college coaches, for Culver Academy's blowout win over West Lafayette High School.

But not for basketball.

If there was a college basketball coach there for any of the prospects playing — Trey Galloway notably — then I didn't see them. (Matt Painter didn't come, as we told you he would. He'll see Galloway again soon.)

But for football, Jeff Brohm was present, and assistant coaches Nick Holt, Dale Williams, Kevin Wolthausen and Anthony Poindexter all were there at one time or another, as they came in off the road.

The draw: 2020 target Deontae Craig and 2021 target Yanni Karlaftis.

Greg Mattison from Ohio State and Mark Hagen from Indiana were both there, too. Mattison has practically moved in with the Karlaftis family the past three years as he recruited George for Michigan, then Yanni, and now will recruit the latter for Ohio State.

It's well established that Yanni Karlaftis is a big-time recruit, but coaches present today saw the same in Craig, who's about 6-5, 230ish probably but extremely quick and extremely explosive off the floor, looking like a great athlete for his size, with basketball attributes that would seem to jibe very well with a pass-rusher's ideal skill set.

Have to consider him a big-time Purdue target.

As for basketball: Galloway was solid, but the game was out of hand very quickly, so he didn't have to produce much. He was very good in transition early on, as Culver turned West Side over a bunch and pulled away with transition offense. Galloway had a dunk and a smooth reverse lay-in, plus a three and a pair of foul shots in the first half. He had a nice chase-down block in the second.

I don't know what he finished with because, to be honest, I stopped paying attention.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News