ADVERTISEMENT

Today is the reason

I'm troubled by your binary perspective. Yes, you either win or lose games, but there are a lot of stops between "train-wreak" and success"". We all want the same thing. Don't doubt that in any way. We just might disagree on the path through the forest. That's all.

I am afraid Hope let the program down through weak recruiting. It is going to take time to build it up. We need to give Hazell more time to get to where we want him to be.
If you're going to start using sarcasm in your posts let us know.

Reactions: Redhotfill
I'm troubled by your binary perspective. Yes, you either win or lose games, but there are a lot of stops between "train-wreak" and success"". We all want the same thing. Don't doubt that in any way. We just might disagree on the path through the forest. That's all.

I am afraid Hope let the program down through weak recruiting. It is going to take time to build it up. We need to give Hazell more time to get to where we want him to be.

Hopes teams were so much better than this crap. I would hire Hope back in an instant over this pathetic staff.

Reactions: Redhotfill
Today is why Hazell will be back next year. The team has not given up on him, we have young playmakers on both sides of the ball, and we are showing slow but real improvement.
As Bill Parcells said, "you are what your record says you are."

We're 5-24 under Hazell.

I have not been impressed with this coaching staff but I thought they did a relatively good job today. I know our record sucks this year and is not acceptable but I do see some progress over last year.

If you're going to start using sarcasm in your posts let us know.
No sarcasm intended. I re-read the post and I don't see how you could think that. I was just honestly giving you my perspective. Surely you don't object to that since you so freely share yours?

:cool:

Today is why Hazell will be back next year. The team has not given up on him, we have young playmakers on both sides of the ball, and we are showing slow but real improvement.
There are 6.6 million reasons why hazell will be back next year, and I don't think losing a close game to MSU is one of them.

There are 6.6 million reasons why hazell will be back next year, and I don't think losing a close game to MSU is one of them.

While I agree that is more realistic, I don't think $6.6 million is really better than $4+ million the next year (after another year of flat ticket sales barring some miraculous end to the season). Winning 3-4 games this season will not spike ticket sales.

$2 million is made up pretty quickly. When Hazell was hired, Purdue sold more than 3,000 new non-student season tickets. Purdue's average attendance that season (winning 1 game), was up 5,000+/game.

Using that math:

500 new season tickets in premium areas = $112,000
+ Legacy Fees (splitting half in $250 area and half in $100 area) = $87,500
Total: $200,000
+Four new suites sold + season tickets + donation = 150,000
+2,500 new season tickets in non-premium areas = $500,000
+500 new donors at JPC First Team = $100,000

That is nearly $1 million in revenue. And assumes minimum donations and does not include parking revenue or student ticket sales.

If you're selling single game tickets at $45/ticket (avg. ticket price this season), that is 22,000 tickets to reach $1 million. That is just over 3,000 tickets per game.

In simple terms, 3,000 new season tickets plus selling an average of 3,000 tickets per game = $2 million.

While I agree that is more realistic, I don't think $6.6 million is really better than $4+ million the next year (after another year of flat ticket sales barring some miraculous end to the season). Winning 3-4 games this season will not spike ticket sales.

$2 million is made up pretty quickly. When Hazell was hired, Purdue sold more than 3,000 new non-student season tickets. Purdue's average attendance that season (winning 1 game), was up 5,000+/game.

Using that math:

That is nearly $1 million in revenue. And assumes minimum donations and does not include parking revenue or student ticket sales.

If you're selling single game tickets at $45/ticket (avg. ticket price this season), that is 22,000 tickets to reach $1 million. That is just over 3,000 tickets per game.

In simple terms, 3,000 new season tickets plus selling an average of 3,000 tickets per game = $2 million.

I understand your point but don't forget ticket revenue is shared in conference.

A trainwreck would be getting blown out every week and our players getting arrested each weekend...see Hope's last couple of years.
Don't look now but a couple of the freshmen FB players got busted for pot this weekend. Just hit the J&C this afternoon.

Don't look now but a couple of the freshmen FB players got busted for pot this weekend. Just hit the J&C this afternoon.

This is the second incident in the past three weeks involving Purdue football players.
Two for stealing bikes..apparently they were trying to get out of West Lafayette and Two for drinking and smoking dope..apparently trying to forget they're in West Lafayette ;)

Using that math:

I get what you are saying but I still think the 6.6 million will be too much for them to fire him. Also, I expect Purdue to win one or two more games this season which will help Hazell's cause. Like it or not.

I get what you are saying but I still think the 6.6 million will be too much for them to fire him. Also, I expect Purdue to win one or two more games this season which will help Hazell's cause. Like it or not.
Will our 2 wins be Minny and the Illini, or did I miss one...TIC

Good god, you know its lowered expectations when someone is seriously posting that a 3-9 record is a sign of progress. You do realize that that would make his record in 3 yrs 7-29 right? And 3 of those 7 were against FCS schools. I wouldnt get overly carried away b/c we made a nice 2nd half comeback. Its nice to see but until we see that for a whole game, its a blip. I still see a 5-24 record w/ 2 wins vs FBS teams, 1-16 vs the BIG 10. Let that sink in for a moment. Purdue wasnt good under Hope but at least we were 13-19 vs the BIG. Hazell is approaching that loss total w/ only 1 win. Its easy to see progress when the bar has gotten lowered to the ground. I mean we have a poster seriously talking progress being a 3-9 record w/ 2 BIG wins. I dont see how recruiting improves when you're looking at 7 wins in 3 years w/ an improving conference and midwestern football all around the Boilers.

Reactions: Summy1
I understand your point but don't forget ticket revenue is shared in conference.

True, but only 35% of ticket revenue is shared. You keep 65%. And there's a maximum of $4 million that you share. Selling 60,000 season tickets at $250 each is $15 million in revenue. 35% of that is $5.25, but you'd give the Big Ten $4 million and keep $11 million.

to add to the end of my post, look at all the teams in the midwest that are better now than they were 3-5 years ago. OSU has Urban and will always be good, Mich has Harbaugh and is trending up, MSU is turning into a perennial power, Notre Dame is way better than they were before Kelly, Northwestern is a top 15 team for god's sake, IU while not being good is still improving. With all that said, its gonna be hard for DH or any Purdue coach to recruit quality talent when competing against that narrative and have the program where its at now. You're basically competing against MAC, Conference USA and FCS schools for midwestern talent. Dont get me started about "Florida speed" either. Heard all about that back in the Hope days.

True, but only 35% of ticket revenue is shared. You keep 65%. And there's a maximum of $4 million that you share. Selling 60,000 season tickets at $250 each is $15 million in revenue. 35% of that is $5.25, but you'd give the Big Ten $4 million and keep $11 million.

Thanks for clarifying. Just wanted to make sure you took that into account for your numbers.

Thanks for clarifying. Just wanted to make sure you took that into account for your numbers.

The basic gist is that the difference between a $4 million and $6 million buyout is not that big in the grand scheme of things. That being said, Purdue's reserves may be low to where they won't risk it (unless they receive support privately, which you'd hate to see someone willing to donate millions spend their millions on firing someone).

The basic gist is that the difference between a $4 million and $6 million buyout is not that big in the grand scheme of things. That being said, Purdue's reserves may be low to where they won't risk it (unless they receive support privately, which you'd hate to see someone willing to donate millions spend their millions on firing someone).

We need to be careful because all of a sudden we are agreeing too much.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT