ADVERTISEMENT

To our most hated rival

Literally the only interesting thing about Iowa is the political primaries.
Whereas Indiana is a tourist destination? ;) I guess people sometimes have business in Indy.

Here comes the smack:

Gary, IN. Nothing that rough in Iowa (nice people from Gary though, a visitor once sold me $5 worth of weed near downtown Iowa City after Iowa beat Penn St on the road in 2008).

Tenderloins. Ours are better (better ingredients, obviously). And nobody else knows what we're talking about.

Discretion. We don't want you to live here. It's why we brag about tenderloins and we make sure auto-racing is only allowed in the sticks.

Forgot to add: Good luck tomorrow, gents. It was an honor to defeat our most hated rival last year for our first division title. I look forward to someday facing a Purdue team who is competing with Iowa for the division crown. Perhaps we'll look back in November and realize that that day was tomorrow.

Whereas Indiana is a tourist destination? ;) I guess people sometimes have business in Indy.

Here comes the smack:

Gary, IN. Nothing that rough in Iowa (nice people from Gary though, a visitor once sold me $5 worth of weed near downtown Iowa City after Iowa beat Penn St on the road in 2008).

Tenderloins. Ours are better (better ingredients, obviously). And nobody else knows what we're talking about.

Discretion. We don't want you to live here. It's why we brag about tenderloins and we make sure auto-racing is only allowed in the sticks.
Hey,watch what you say about Gary,formally Americas greatest steel city.Alex Karras,one of Iowas all time greats was a Gary native,as was Purdue alum and NFL Hall of Famer Hank Stram.

Hey,watch what you say about Gary,formally Americas greatest steel city.
I wasn't trying to be rude. Iowa has a few packing plant towns which are struggling similarly (but on smaller scale versus Gary). Gary is also referenced in a famous musical set in Iowa which was written by a famous Iowan. Robert Meredith Willson penned an entire song called "Gary, Indiana" for his hit The Music Man (film version starring Robert Preston). Willson also composed the Iowa Fight Song.

Literally the only interesting thing about Iowa is the political primaries.
FWIW we don't have primaries. And there are a few reasons why Iowa is host to the craziness. It used to be a place where lesser known candidates could afford to run a campaign and get their name out there. In the age of social media, that's not so expensive. Currently, Iowa is a solid purple state where a lot of people engage in democracy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT