ADVERTISEMENT

Tip of the cap to Morrissette

TC4THREE

All-American
Mar 20, 2002
Much has been said about her development as a player this year yet it doesn't seem nearly enough. She elevated her game to a level that made me feel like we had an advantage at the point guard position in pretty much every game. You don't improve that much by accident. There had to have been hundreds of extra hours of hard work and sacrifice to get there. Just wanted to make note here that it was noticed and much appreciated by this Boiler fan.

Thanks for being what a Boilermaker should be.

Totally agree. She and Perry maximized their ability, both ending with sterling last games. Coach V did a great job developing them. If she does the same with the young nucleus we have, the Boilers will compete well for years. Let's face it. Versyp can coach, but she cannot seem to get a few of the really great recruits that make the difference for the top teams as the ND game so clearly demonstrated. The talent difference was what won that game and we all know that it probably would not have been as close if that Irish player had not been hurt. Not sure it Coach V can get those kinds of players tho Hardin next year may be one of them. But we need some more impact bigs. They are out there. Indiana just got one out of Kentucky. We will continue to be competitive but need these kinds of players to go up a plateau. That is the main dilemma for our program as has been said to death on this site.

Reactions: z_one and rgarlitz
Totally agree. She and Perry maximized their ability, both ending with sterling last games. Coach V did a great job developing them. If she does the same with the young nucleus we have, the Boilers will compete well for years. Let's face it. Versyp can coach, but she cannot seem to get a few of the really great recruits that make the difference for the top teams as the ND game so clearly demonstrated. The talent difference was what won that game and we all know that it probably would not have been as close if that Irish player had not been hurt. Not sure it Coach V can get those kinds of players tho Hardin next year may be one of them. But we need some more impact bigs. They are out there. Indiana just got one out of Kentucky. We will continue to be competitive but need these kinds of players to go up a plateau. That is the main dilemma for our program as has been said to death on this site.

All you have to do is ponder this fact. Notre Dame loses two players from this year's team and adds three freshman recruits ranked as the top class in the nation by one rating service.

All you have to do is ponder this fact. Notre Dame loses two players from this year's team and adds three freshman recruits ranked as the top class in the nation by one rating service.

Leave it to destewart to bring his discontent into a thread intended to show appreciation to a great graduating senior.

Leave it to destewart to bring his discontent into a thread intended to show appreciation to a great graduating senior.

To demonstrate your painfully obvious bias against my post you completely ignore the FACT all I did was elaborate on the Illiniboiler post regarding the Notre Dame vs Purdue talent differential. You have zero defense for my assertion. Zero!

To demonstrate your painfully obvious bias against my post you completely ignore the FACT all I did was elaborate on the Illiniboiler post regarding the Notre Dame vs Purdue talent differential. You have zero defense for my assertion. Zero!

I don't give two ***** about your assertion in this thread. You want to discuss recruiting, there are plenty of other threads available and you can always start a new one. This thread was to show appreciation to a player who came in and worked to turn herself into one of the best players in program history and your attempt to hijack it for selfish, petty purposes says so much about the type of person you are for those that haven't been around here long enough to know already.

I don't give two ***** about your assertion in this thread. You want to discuss recruiting, there are plenty of other threads available and you can always start a new one. This thread was to show appreciation to a player who came in and worked to turn herself into one of the best players in program history and your attempt to hijack it for selfish, petty purposes says so much about the type of person you are for those that haven't been around here long enough to know already.

The only reason I made the post is a previous poster commented on the talent differential. You did notice that, did you not? it appears you did not and instead used it as an opportunity to make a personal attack on me and make unwarranted charges that speak more to your character than anything else.

The only reason I made the post is a previous poster commented on the talent differential. You did notice that, did you not? it appears you did not and instead used it as an opportunity to make a personal attack on me and make unwarranted charges that speak more to your character than anything else.

Anyone can see you being you. It's not hard. I don't doubt you will continue to fool yourself though.

Anyway, props again to Morrissette. That's what this thread is about.

Reactions: mathboy
The talent difference appears to be just one player. When she was hurt, we outscored them. We are not that far away. And it was on their floor!! I think a team of Murphy ,Keyes, Oden, McBryde, and Harris, with Cooper as the top sub, will be a good team next year. Gray??? Any freshman that contribute will make it even better. I hope that SV doesn't think she has to start either Horrocks or Kiesler unless they show big progress. I also hope that she demands that McBryde shoot shots other than layups. She can!! Watch her in warmups.

Reactions: Shooter.
We played a great inspired game and the future certainly is brighter than it has been given the performances of our three freshmen. It is not quite as rosy visa vi the team comparison. They lost one senior who started and played a lot. She scored 12 of their 88 pts. They return players who scored 76 of their points and the center who was hurt is a junior who scored 12 points. Mabrey who killed us in overtime scored 21 points and is a sophomore. Young, who we recruited out of the womb, scored 16 and is a freshman. Ali Patberg, Miss Basketball a year ago is recovering from an injury and is a 5-11 PG. Ogunbawale is a sophomore and scored 16. Erin Boley is a freshman Miss Kentucky who busted our zone in the second quarter. We lost 45 of our 82 pts from our two seniors who played so valiantly trying to extend the season. Muffet welcomes three outstanding players next years with rankings to prove it. The strong programs do what we used to do abd that is land several star quality players every year. That is why they do not rebuild, they reload. That's how you go to six strajght Final Fours. I watched Louisville tonight and they landed two PG's rated in the Top 12 players in the country including an Indiana gal we wanted and recruited for years. The Cardinals lose just two seniors and add a Top 5 recruiting class. The quality depth of a relative handful of schools is ridiculous and hard to believe. How MSU got Cooks over us is hard to take, but that's the lure of East Lansing which we deal with in both men's and women's basketball. So, those of us who have bern longtime Boilermaker fans savour the improvement and hope for a return to the national stage. Hope springs eternal.

We played a great inspired game and the future certainly is brighter than it has been given the performances of our three freshmen. It is not quite as rosy visa vi the team comparison. They lost one senior who started and played a lot. She scored 12 of their 88 pts. They return players who scored 76 of their points and the center who was hurt is a junior who scored 12 points. Mabrey who killed us in overtime scored 21 points and is a sophomore. Young, who we recruited out of the womb, scored 16 and is a freshman. Ali Patberg, Miss Basketball a year ago is recovering from an injury and is a 5-11 PG. Ogunbawale is a sophomore and scored 16. Erin Boley is a freshman Miss Kentucky who busted our zone in the second quarter. We lost 45 of our 82 pts from our two seniors who played so valiantly trying to extend the season. Muffet welcomes three outstanding players next years with rankings to prove it. The strong programs do what we used to do abd that is land several star quality players every year. That is why they do not rebuild, they reload. That's how you go to six strajght Final Fours. I watched Louisville tonight and they landed two PG's rated in the Top 12 players in the country including an Indiana gal we wanted and recruited for years. The Cardinals lose just two seniors and add a Top 5 recruiting class. The quality depth of a relative handful of schools is ridiculous and hard to believe. How MSU got Cooks over us is hard to take, but that's the lure of East Lansing which we deal with in both men's and women's basketball. So, those of us who have bern longtime Boilermaker fans savour the improvement and hope for a return to the national stage. Hope springs eternal.
You have become very bitter about the program, so much so, that you have now hi-jacked this thread, intended to compliment a very good player. No need to post what you have here. Post a separate thread discussing next year's team and their competition.

Right now, your posts are tough to read and the negative points you bring forward are much the same as you stated last year, yet this year's team has shown substantial improvements over this season. Why don't you try looking toward the positives just a bit? The 2 Canadian girls might be just the ticket. Being positive might make you a little more content with life. ( I am not trying to be evil toward you here, just hoping to bring some light into your dark corner).

Reactions: kmot and TC4THREE
I am going to chime in with an in between position. Yes, Des does tend to accentuate the negative and beat the dead horse of poor recruiting. And yes this team really did improve, but yes ND and Louisville etc are whipping our butts even in in-state recruiting. That has to change for us to go back on national stage. Can it, will it? That is the question even as we are probably going to have a decent BT team again next year. This is a free board and, like it or not, we have to feel safe to post here no matter what our take on the situation. There are few of us on the WBB board; let's enjoy it.

I am going to chime in with an in between position. Yes, Des does tend to accentuate the negative and beat the dead horse of poor recruiting. And yes this team really did improve, but yes ND and Louisville etc are whipping our butts even in in-state recruiting. That has to change for us to go back on national stage. Can it, will it? That is the question even as we are probably going to have a decent BT team again next year. This is a free board and, like it or not, we have to feel safe to post here no matter what our take on the situation. There are few of us on the WBB board; let's enjoy it.

Louisville does not have a player from Indiana on their roster. ND has two Miss Basketballs, but I suspect Purdue may have next year's. One of three candidates this year, McLaughlin, lists Purdue as one of three schools she will consider if she doesn't stay with Florida. Murphy, McBride, Harris, and Cooper were all five stars top 100 players as judged by ESPN. I'll take them over ND's two.

Reactions: kmot
That is good news for sure. MCLaughlin would be a deal changer as maybe Hardin is. Maybe that ceiling is beginning to be broken? Purdue certainly has, tho diminished, an impressive fan base in WBB and the BT. You would think Indiana girls would want to come here. Indiana, with our Purdue grad coaching them, is starting to make some inroads and got the KY Gatorade player of the year recently, but their crowds are still not much.
By the way, in what I think is a shocker, Illinois hired a coach with a great record today, but all in D III. Curious.

That is good news for sure. MCLaughlin would be a deal changer as maybe Hardin is. Maybe that ceiling is beginning to be broken? Purdue certainly has, tho diminished, an impressive fan base in WBB and the BT. You would think Indiana girls would want to come here. Indiana, with our Purdue grad coaching them, is starting to make some inroads and got the KY Gatorade player of the year recently, but their crowds are still not much.
By the way, in what I think is a shocker, Illinois hired a coach with a great record today, but all in D III. Curious.

I really was referring to Traylor.

http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/211791

http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/212286

Angel Baker of Class 4A state runner-up Pike was one of six girls basketball players named to the core group of the IndyStar Indiana Junior All-Star team.

The 5-10 Baker averaged 19.4 points, 5.7 rebounds, 4.0 assists and 3.6 steals to lead Pike to its first regional title and the program’s first state finals appearance. The Red Devils finished 24-4 after losing to Homestead, 61-54, in the Class 4A state championship on Saturday.

The Junior All-Stars are selected through votes by the Indiana Basketball Coaches Association. The core group of six will play in both exhibition games against the Indiana All-Stars on June 6 and 8 at sites to be determined.

Joining Baker as core group selections are East Chicago Central’s Jenasae Bishop, Ben Davis guard Nia Clark, Carmel’s Amy Dilk, Heritage Christian’s Katlyn Gilbert and Martinsville’s Kayana Traylor.

The 5-8 Bishop averaged 24.9 points, 6.2 rebounds, 4.5 assists and 3.2 steals to lead East Chicago Central to an 18-6 record. She already holds the school’s career scoring record. The 5-9 Clark averaged 18.6 points, 3.9 steals and 3.0 rebounds as Ben Davis finished 20-6. The 5-10 Dilk was a standout for a Carmel team that finished 23-4 and played state champion Homestead to a four-point game in the regional championship, averaging 14.8 points, 6.6 rebounds, 6.4 assists and 3.2 steals.

The 5-10 Gilbert averaged 16.8 points and 7.7 rebounds for a Heritage Christian team that finished 21-7 and played in a Class 3A semistate. Martinsville’s 5-9 Traylor, a Purdue recruit, averaged 23.4 points and 4.5 assists for a 21-5 team that won a sectional title.

Here’s a look at the other 12 players selected.

The North Group: Leigha Brown, 6-1, DeKalb; Emily Kiser, 6-3, Noblesville; Brooke McKinley, 5-10, Northridge; Keya Patton, 5-7, Cathedral; Taylor Ramey, 5-6, North Central; Blake Smith, 6-3, Carmel.

North Central’s Ajah Stallings, a 5-7 guard, was selected but unable to play.

The South Group: Mackenzie Blazek, 6-2, Whiteland; Cassidy Hardin, 5-10, Center Grove; Cali Nolot, 5-8, North Harrison; Rachel Stewart, 5-9, Eastern Pekin; Kyra Whitaker, 5-7, Greensburg; Michaela White, 6-foot, Pike.

The Junior All-Star coaches haven’t yet been selected, All-Star director Charlie Hall said.

Call Star reporter Kyle Neddenriep at (317) 444-6649.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT