ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue football Tim Lester on QBs

Stacy_GoldandBlack.com

All-American
Gold Member
Apr 7, 2004
Got some really good stuff from new QB coach Lester after Tuesday's practice that didn't make the notebook. Couple things ...

Asked about importance of setting tone with QB position: "It’s obviously a very important position. you’ve got to be in control. You’ve got to be telling everybody what to do. I focus on getting them to do their job. When, in reality, when it’s all said and done, they need to tell everybody what to do, make sure everyone is lined up right. We missed a couple of those today. We were so worried about what we were doing, we didn’t get lined up correctly. We didn’t help fix other positions with alignment, and that’s going to happen. But, like I said, I was happy with the way they came out with a lot of new stuff Day 1 and they didn’t look stressed out. We’re going to see the film and see where they should have had their eyes or where their feet could have been better. But the one thing about that room, they are competitive. They expect themselves to be great and they want to know more information. That’s Key No. 1 for a quarterback. The physicality part of it, can they make the throws, but the want-to is such a huge part of it and that whole room has that. That’s fun to coach."

When asked about Blough and Sindelar skill sets, he answered but then got off topic a bit but not really. Good stuff here: "Today I saw some quirks that I hadn’t been able to see yet that we’ll get fixed. Both have the same issues. They get a little bit high sometimes. When they’re going through their progressions, the first thing they want to do is stand tall. Normally when they get to their second and third progression, their balls are all over the place because they’re not in a good position. That’s what we’ve been talking about and now I have film to prove it. That always helps. They’ll work at it. Even by the end of practice, they were getting through 1 to 2 and throwing strikes to 2. A lot of that is simple stuff that if you don’t point it out, these guys want to learn, so if you point it out and say, ‘See you got too high here, you totally air-mailed that second ball,’ and then you see them keep a good base and go to No. 2 and throw a strike. Once they believe in what you’re teaching them, then the sky is the limit. They’ve trusted what I’m telling them and they’re seeing what’s happening out there and then we have to keep going."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.