ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on a “Winter” season?

It could work. I still am not sure our Commissioner is going to allow a Winter/Spring season. I wish we had Delaney still.

Reactions: nat100
It could work. I still am not sure our Commissioner is going to allow a Winter/Spring season. I wish we had Delaney still.

The. Presidents. Made. The. Decision. The same Presidents will make the future decisions, including Mitch who voted against playing in the fall.

Just a thought, what about the ACC, SEC and Big 12? There is a likelihood they will have to shut down their season when and if they start to have problems.

Then their plan “B“ is no season at all? And the B10 Looks genius? For proper planning and proper prevention and recruit say “I want to go play in the B10 because they care about their players enough to create a real Plan B which is their original plan A and that’s why they are playing football and the SEC/ACC/etc are not”

At the end of the day college sports is an extracurricular activity for colleges, not the other way around. Academics should not be thought of as an extracurricular activity for athletes! Maybe it’s time academics started coming first as a student’s priority. Scholarships are awarded in order for students to be able to obtain an education, not a pro contract. I’m beginning to believe many athletes believe they are responsible for dictating their school’s decisions primarily because of the revenue their sports generate. It would be nice if those revenues went to supporting academic priorities rather than supporting the Athletic programs.

It would be nice if those revenues went to supporting academic priorities rather than supporting the Athletic programs.
You mean athletic programs such as track and field in particular or athletic departments in general? If revenue generated from football and basketball were funneled to academics, say goodbye to non-revenue/Olympic sports in the NCAA.

Perhaps the University of Chicago had the right idea and a deeper understanding of priorities when it left the conference. But as long as Purdue is participating in major college sports, money earned from the big revenue programs must be reinvested to keep up in the arms race.

Also, if football and hoop revenue went to academic programs, no complaining about Brohm failing to meet arbitrary timelines for wins/bowl appearances, no caterwauling about Painter being unable to pull burger boys or even four-stars.

Unfortunate as it may be, in major college athletics you get what you pay for.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT