ADVERTISEMENT

This wedkend football visits

I’m done trying to track football recruits or who is going to be good. Drank the kool-ade on Carr, Murphy, Faucheux, 2018 OL recruits, etc. When they show up ready to work and crack the lineup and show what all the fuss is about, that’s when I’ll care.
This isn't a new phenomenon.

Since the dawn of Algore's internet, we've been tracking all these stud recruits. I would agree, you should never drink any kool ade (it's really flavor aid, but that's a different story for a different day).

We all could make a long, long laundry list of those who didn't pan out. Sometimes they just don't make it.

Reactions: Sophie1970
This isn't a new phenomenon.

Since the dawn of Algore's internet, we've been tracking all these stud recruits. I would agree, you should never drink any kool ade (it's really flavor aid, but that's a different story for a different day).

We all could make a long, long laundry list of those who didn't pan out. Sometimes they just don't make it.
I think the difference is, for quite awhile, there weren’t many recruits worth getting excited about (on paper).

Alot of us don't know who came for recruiting visits.
And why is this? Ive googled everything I can think of but can’t find a list of visitors. Is it top secret? Guess that’s what I get for being a non paying member. I have noticed a pattern. The visitors on the first weekend are your best bet.

I’m done trying to track football recruits or who is going to be good. Drank the kool-ade on Carr, Murphy, Faucheux, 2018 OL recruits, etc. When they show up ready to work and crack the lineup and show what all the fuss is about, that’s when I’ll care.
I’m joining the same club you are in.
Too much Kool-Aide till last season. At the conclusion of the season, I’m at a crossroads, still love Purdue and want the best for our teams. I also want coaches to earn their keeps and players to put forth effort, pride, and play smart with no stupid penalties between the white lines. All the stars on ratings services seem to have as many busts as hits at the collegiate level. Add in players pride riding pine a bit and we’ve seen a heck of a lot of 4* guys not pan out. I’ve seen 2+ decades worth and will reserve judgement till game action.

All depends on the mindset of the recruit and what they want to accomplish. Some are burned out on sport and are just going thru the motions of continuing playing, but don't feel like giving the effort. Hard to see that in a person.

All depends on the mindset of the recruit and what they want to accomplish. Some are burned out on sport and are just going thru the motions of continuing playing, but don't feel like giving the effort. Hard to see that in a person.
This is the heart of the issue with recruiting. Nobody cares what you did in high school - that only gets you in the door. Now it is about hard work, dedication, and capitalizing on your talents. Signing day is he start of the race, not the finish. And that is either in the culture of a program or it isn't.

The three prized recruits who have demonstrated this in the Brohm era are Moore, GK, and Bell. The jury is still out on some others.

This is the heart of the issue with recruiting. Nobody cares what you did in high school - that only gets you in the door. Now it is about hard work, dedication, and capitalizing on your talents. Signing day is he start of the race, not the finish. And that is either in the culture of a program or it isn't.

The three prized recruits who have demonstrated this in the Brohm era are Moore, GK, and Bell. The jury is still out on some others.
Not all of the 4 star players will be stars on the field like those three. Thats a hell of a bar to set.

Not all of the 4 star players will be stars on the field like those three. Thats a hell of a bar to set.
No, those guys aren't the bar. But if we are talking about living up to a 4 star ranking, who else has? Notice those were simply 3 examples of hard work and dedication, not even results. Rondale was known for working twice as hard as anyone else on the team.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
No, those guys aren't the bar. But if we are talking about living up to a 4 star ranking, who else has? Notice those were simply 3 examples of hard work and dedication, not even results. Rondale was known for working twice as hard as anyone else on the team.
Wright has. Starter in year 2 that was a solid contributor

hartwig has

Grant abdur raheemrice have been injured. Grant looked good when he played

hudgins redshirted

Our flops are faucheux and Murphy.

Wright has. Starter in year 2 that was a solid contributor

hartwig has

Grant abdur raheemrice have been injured. Grant looked good when he played

hudgins redshirted

Our flops are faucheux and Murphy.
I wouldn't call those other guys flops. Wright and Hartwig, ok. The others - they are mostly in the the group I say the jury is still out on, in a good way, as opposed to a big chunk of the 2018 headliners, for which the verdict is in, and, other than Rondale, well...

I'm just not going to get all hyped about the pursuit of individual recruits as if we can predict with any certainty which ones are going to hit.

They are/were successful. I don't think that you can expect too many players to be so successful. But they were successes because of the extra hard work they put in, they didn't rest on past laurels. If the other players would put in half their extra effort, I'm sure that the team would be much improved. Obviously, walk-ons like Horvitz and O'Connell have.

Reactions: FirstDownB
I'm just not going to get all hyped about the pursuit of individual recruits as if we can predict with any certainty which ones are going to hit.
No one can predict.

Even the big programs have busts. They have so many players like this that it doesnt matter. We get so few that the flops are more glaring.

People on here slammed me for saying it, but I will reiterate it again since it’s exactly what is being discussed on this thread: stop looking at Star rankings on a vacuum & look at them in context of who is pushing for the recruit. Offers only tell a small part of the story. I see multiple names in this thread I told this board other programs backed way off of and people on here slammed me saying it was just sour grapes. I will give you two examples that were mentioned above. Carr, was recruited by major programs early but then after visiting and staffs seeing he was not going to be a WR in college but a below average TE, they all moved on. His ranking was silly. ND, OSU, PSU, etc all immediately moved on. Then you have Murphy. I told you a couple years ago what happened in his recruitment and this board roasted me. He was told by ND they were going after Chris Tyree, but they would take a second back if he committed before Tyree. Murphy visited, but told ND he wanted to visit Oregon and a few other schools. So during that process Tyree committed to ND & they were done with RB recruiting. Oregon didn’t push for Murphy. He called ND and tried to commit, but they turned him down & told him they were full. He tried contacting other big programs & all passed. That right there tells you how he was viewed, regardless of his ranking.
People really need to follow how kids are being recruited & pushed for & by who & not just stare at rankings.

He called ND and tried to commit, but they turned him down & told him they were full.
It is a recruiting violation for coaches to talk about players that aren't signed and no kid is going to publicize the fact that he got rejected by a school he once had a chance with. I have no doubt that schools backed off him, but making statements like this and pretending to know the full story is just silly

It is a recruiting violation for coaches to talk about players that aren't signed and no kid is going to publicize the fact that he got rejected by a school he once had a chance with. I have no doubt that schools backed off him, but making statements like this and pretending to know the full story is just silly
information leaks out. The journalists at recruiting sites know far more than they report.

My fellow Boiler faithful, let's be objective and look at the harsh reality. Brohm can't or won't recruit Big-Ten-caliber offensive linemen. During his first year as HC, his first three recruits were OL who collectively did not have a single offer from any other Big Ten school. Their only other offers were MAC and it hasn't improved one iota thereafter. We cannot run the ball. Our OL cannot block for running plays. They aren't big enough, strong enough or athletic enough.

I dearly hope our defense improves this year now that we have abandoned this lunatic three-man-line nonsense but our OL will continue to be an embarrassment.

My fellow Boiler faithful, let's be objective and look at the harsh reality. Brohm can't or won't recruit Big-Ten-caliber offensive linemen. During his first year as HC, his first three recruits were OL who collectively did not have a single offer from any other Big Ten school. Their only other offers were MAC and it hasn't improved one iota thereafter. We cannot run the ball. Our OL cannot block for running plays. They aren't big enough, strong enough or athletic enough.

I dearly hope our defense improves this year now that we have abandoned this lunatic three-man-line nonsense but our OL will continue to be an embarrassment.
Ffs. This is almost to wole level drivel

Looks like another new login ID.

FOUR (4) OL recruits last year. Some nice size, offered by other P5 schools.

FOUR (4) OL recruits in 2020, led by 4-star Gus Hartwig.

"My" ... "we" ... and "our"...

ehhhh....

Here, read it for yourself:

You need Athlon to tell you our OL play has not been good, OR... you need Athlon to push your narrative and agenda.

OL play (and OL recruiting) has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum.

By the way, did you hear about the COVID pandemic that's been in the news?

Look at our depth chart for OL: RS Jr; RS SO; SO; Transfer; Transfer. That's the first team. Hermanns is gone.

there's a narrative here that MUST be advanced...
This is the part i find amusing

" let's be objective and look at the harsh reality. Brohm can't or won't recruit Big-Ten-caliber offensive linemen."

This is Brohm’s 5th year, so what are you saying?
Line should start to improve. It wasn’t the problem last year so I’m not sure why the noob is bitchingother than he’s a troll stirring lol he pot

Players are often really impacted by the COACHING. There were so many players during the Tiller Era that were really well coached - former wrestlers to OL (Hardwick), some were switched from receiver to Linebacker (Gilbert Gardner) etc. Many weren't even highly recruited but were asked to switch positions and ultimately excelled. I haven't seen much of that during the Brohm Era and I think his position coaches have been underperforming. Hopefully the latest version of the Staff will turn the corner.

Players are often really impacted by the COACHING. There were so many players during the Tiller Era that were really well coached - former wrestlers to OL (Hardwick), some were switched from receiver to Linebacker (Gilbert Gardner) etc. Many weren't even highly recruited but were asked to switch positions and ultimately excelled. I haven't seen much of that during the Brohm Era and I think his position coaches have been underperforming. Hopefully the latest version of the Staff will turn the corner.
Kent, you make some good points. You mentioned Tiller, and rightfully so. I think the comparison to Tiller (and his very quick success), whether it's recognized or not, is what's really fueling some of the Brohm-hate we've seen.

Most people significantly underestimate the "perfect storm" Tiller walked into. He had multiple future NFL OL (Matt Light was moved from TE to OL), a seasoned QB (Dicken) who could learn quickly and make good decisions, very good skill players, the solid nucleus of a reasonably good D, and an offense that the rest of the league simply wasn't prepared for. Throw in the recruitment of a future NFL legend/HOF QB very few programs wanted to take a chance on, and that gave Tiller, Spack, et al the luxury of moving players around (I believe Jason Loerzel was moved from TE to LB?).

Although Colletto was not a great recruiter, I think we all took for granted exactly how much talent was on that roster in 1997.

Kent, you make some good points. You mentioned Tiller, and rightfully so. I think the comparison to Tiller (and his very quick success), whether it's recognized or not, is what's really fueling some of the Brohm-hate we've seen.

Most people significantly underestimate the "perfect storm" Tiller walked into. He had multiple future NFL OL (Matt Light was moved from TE to OL), a seasoned QB (Dicken) who could learn quickly and make good decisions, very good skill players, the solid nucleus of a reasonably good D, and an offense that the rest of the league simply wasn't prepared for. Throw in the recruitment of a future NFL legend/HOF QB very few programs wanted to take a chance on, and that gave Tiller, Spack, et al the luxury of moving players around (I believe Jason Loerzel was moved from TE to LB?).

Although Colletto was not a great recruiter, I think we all took for granted exactly how much talent was on that roster in 1997.
I think the money brohm has been paid is a bigger issue. Also, the flirtations with other teams after each of the first two years probably didnt help

Reactions: Inspector100
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT