ADVERTISEMENT

This wedkend football visits

Kent, you make some good points. You mentioned Tiller, and rightfully so. I think the comparison to Tiller (and his very quick success), whether it's recognized or not, is what's really fueling some of the Brohm-hate we've seen.

Most people significantly underestimate the "perfect storm" Tiller walked into. He had multiple future NFL OL (Matt Light was moved from TE to OL), a seasoned QB (Dicken) who could learn quickly and make good decisions, very good skill players, the solid nucleus of a reasonably good D, and an offense that the rest of the league simply wasn't prepared for. Throw in the recruitment of a future NFL legend/HOF QB very few programs wanted to take a chance on, and that gave Tiller, Spack, et al the luxury of moving players around (I believe Jason Loerzel was moved from TE to LB?).

Although Colletto was not a great recruiter, I think we all took for granted exactly how much talent was on that roster in 1997.
Also, Tiller arrived at Purdue almost a quarter century ago. A lot has changed since. Most players today would rather transfer than change position.

Wasn't a problem last year? We gained two yards rushing vs Northwestern.
Look at the stats a little deeper. AOC was sacked and lost enough yards to negate any rushing yards Horvath had. AOC held the ball too long on several plays and was so immobile it reminded me of Bernie Kosar in the 80s

Horvath averaged 5 yards a carry. Doerue averaged 3.9. Line wasnt the issue. Defense was the issue last year.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
Kent, you make some good points. You mentioned Tiller, and rightfully so. I think the comparison to Tiller (and his very quick success), whether it's recognized or not, is what's really fueling some of the Brohm-hate we've seen.

Most people significantly underestimate the "perfect storm" Tiller walked into. He had multiple future NFL OL (Matt Light was moved from TE to OL), a seasoned QB (Dicken) who could learn quickly and make good decisions, very good skill players, the solid nucleus of a reasonably good D, and an offense that the rest of the league simply wasn't prepared for. Throw in the recruitment of a future NFL legend/HOF QB very few programs wanted to take a chance on, and that gave Tiller, Spack, et al the luxury of moving players around (I believe Jason Loerzel was moved from TE to LB?).

Although Colletto was not a great recruiter, I think we all took for granted exactly how much talent was on that roster in 1997.
I always said Colletto cleaned up alot crap from the Akers Era. Aleast coach Colletto tried to build a winner, Akers thought he was to good for the purdue job and was looking for one last pay day

Reactions: Matt Tiger
I always said Colletto cleaned up alot crap from the Akers Era. Aleast coach Colletto tried to build a winner, Akers thought he was to good for the purdue job and was looking for one last pay day
I will add here that Colletto was hampered by the AD. Not enough money for a decent staff. There were only two assistants that actually made a decent career in college football. Jim had to do all the line schemes himself for each game.

Reactions: Wink96
I will add here that Colletto was hampered by the AD. Not enough money for a decent staff. There were only two assistants that actually made a decent career in college football. Jim had to do all the line schemes himself for each game.
Jim made the mistake of trying to beat the big boys at their own game. You werent going to out muscle OSU, Wisonsin and Michigan.

The AD wasn't pocketing the money.

For building successful athletics, we had really weak University leadership. Period. They could have put all us "experts" in charge of athletics, and the checks wouldn't have been written.

Reactions: Matt Tiger
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT