ADVERTISEMENT

The season's impact on Hazell's future

boilerzz

All-American
Jul 5, 2002
West Chester, OH
www.marchfirstbrewing.com
Won/loss record is just one component used when head coaches are evaluated after a season. competitiveness, effect of injuries, student and staff conduct, academics and many other things factor into the review process. Assuming no issues with conduct or academics, nothing egregious on the injury front and that competitiveness isn't reasonably aligned with the final won/loss record, this is what I think WILL occur with regard to Hazell after the season.

One of the factors to consider below is the fact that if Hazell is not extended after the season, opposing coaches will use his contract against him on the recruiting front. As such, in this day and age, you might as well let a guy go than make him a lame duck coach.

Please note that it's not necessarily what I want to happen or what I think is deserved but it it what I think will occur.

0-2 wins - I think he's gone. These results would show clear regression and I think the pressure from outside entities would force Burke's hand.
3-4 wins - I think he stays and is extended but with a sharp cut in his buyout. If the offense or defense is the primary driver of the lack of success, I could very well see sufficient pressure that he's required to make staff changes
5-6 wins - I think he stays and is extended with maybe a slight reduction his buyout.
7-8 wins - I think he stays and gets the standard one year extension
9+ wins - I think he gets a multi-year extension

I know this doesn't align with what many of you think should occur but I think it's reality.

As to my opinion of what will occur, I'm torn between 5 and 6 wins. Marshall will go a long way in determining whether this is a bowl eligible team or not and I just think there are too many questions to be comfortable in predicting either way.

Reactions: terminalg92
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News