ADVERTISEMENT

The Peter Principle ?

Lionheart1

Junior
Jun 15, 2005
Is this what is playing out at Purdue? Summarizing, the principle says as you move up the ladder in your profession you advance as you successfully show your ability at each level. You continue to advance until you reach your level of incompetence. Then you remain at a level of incompetence unless you get fired or are demoted back to a level you can handle. Do we have coaches who have reached their level of incompetence and need to regress back to a level they can handle? I like this ”Principle”. Over the years I have observed it playing out many times in Engineering and Architectural offices as well as in industry. It doesn’t work in government jobs because once you are in it’s almost impossible to get fired and many times you can be incompetent and still advance. It also doesn’t work for elected officials as their advancement often is based on their ability to campaign (i.e. market themselves) and raise money rather than actual job performance. And we end up with the what we have in Washington and many states.

Sorry to get off on a tangent but back to the original question. Do we have coaches who have reached their level of incompetence?

Reactions: DAG10
Is this what is playing out at Purdue? Summarizing, the principle says as you move up the ladder in your profession you advance as you successfully show your ability at each level. You continue to advance until you reach your level of incompetence. Then you remain at a level of incompetence unless you get fired or are demoted back to a level you can handle. Do we have coaches who have reached their level of incompetence and need to regress back to a level they can handle? I like this ”Principle”. Over the years I have observed it playing out many times in Engineering and Architectural offices as well as in industry. It doesn’t work in government jobs because once you are in it’s almost impossible to get fired and many times you can be incompetent and still advance. It also doesn’t work for elected officials as their advancement often is based on their ability to campaign (i.e. market themselves) and raise money rather than actual job performance. And we end up with the what we have in Washington and many states.

Sorry to get off on a tangent but back to the original question. Do we have coaches who have reached their level of incompetence?
Interesting thought, but I don't think this is a good year to try to assess that because of covid's impact on prep time. This was probably the worst year in modern cfb to switch coaches or assistant coaches.

This is a good year, however, to consider if the Peter Principle applies to our fan base. In my view, our fans (including me) reached our level of incompetence with the thrashing of tosu in 2018. We became wholly unrealistic in our expectations, understandably so, with Sindelar and Rondale coming back in 2019. When they went down against the rodents, our lads were suddenly in a rebuilding year that has continued into this year with inexperienced but promising QBs and some other good but young talent - including, BC has pointed out, some decent young OLs who seemed to be out on Sat. I hope none of them have opted out.

Boiler UP...

thanks, I feel like I’m at work..

Is this where you drive up in a car I can’t afford and tell me I’m essential? Or maybe tomorrow will your wife come by to get donations from employees for a 501c3 that contributes 3% of donations to the actual cause?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT