ADVERTISEMENT

The cherry atop Jeff Brohm’s sundae is the best part and

destewart

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 5, 2001
to this day I love chocolate sundaes and one of the reasons is the cherry on top with whipped cream and nuts. When my grandmother would take me to the drugstore with that once ubiquitous soda fountain I ordered the sundae and that was always the target, but what made it so special was that little marascinho cherry on the top. So where am I going with this? Well, boys and girls when our leadership presents their best offer to Coach Brohm I think they should localize it and use something synonymous with Purdue University and Indiana to seal the deal and give him something that could help solidify his roots in this community and this state. We are known for agriculture and often, outsiders (and some less perceptive Insiders) use our farmland and its crops to deride our school and where we live. So, in keeping with our agricultural heritage I propose to Messrs Daniels, Berghoff and Bobinski that they close with the following:

A signing bonus consisting of 500 acres of tillable Indiana farmland. Typically property is sold or transferred with a contract for deed requiring payments for a specified period with a final closing when Title is transferred. Coach Brohm would be given the rights of ownership upon signing his contract and would receive cash rent with Purdue managing his farm for him and paying the taxes. Upon completion of the term of the contract Coach Brohm would be deeded the land and receive the full benefit of ownership. Ideally the land would be in relatively close proximity to West Lafayette and he might choose to build a retreat there for he and his family.

At present, the 500 acres of average to top quality land has a value of between $7,000 to $8,600 an acre representing a signing bonus of between $3.5 and $4.3 million. The annual cash rent from the land would approximate $130,000. On a five to seven year contract the cash rent portion would total $650,000 to $910,000. The land would be subject to the variables of farm values, but the trend the last ten years as been exceedingly bullish because there is only so much available. I present this as a concept and would leave the details up to guys at a higher pay grade than this retired Boilermaker by Birth who hopes to be around in 2026 to see my family’s beloved Marmac Farm become a bicentennial Hoosier Homestead.

We want Coach Brohm to be invested in our community and what better way to cement the deal and put a cherry on top than to give him a signing bonus that makes him a proud Purdue farmer! A place for Oscar and Donna to grow flowers and veggies and entertain the grandchildren. Something Louisville does not have in their quiver!

https://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/rel...-shows-farmland-values-are-up-in-indiana.html

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News