ADVERTISEMENT

The Cheat Code for our Opponents

buffboiler

True Freshman
Mar 4, 2002
Seemed to have no issue if and when opposing team throw over the LOS to the second level, or deeper.
Too many collisions among defenders, and parting waves of our defenders for the ball carrier once there.
It worked. Every time.

PSU/Syracuse/Wiscy/Iowa..
And, even for the games Purdue had won..

This has been, and will be the cheat code, a proven one..

Oh my..

Do we have anything to counter this?

Boiler Up!!

• Haha
Reactions: GolfHacker1
To counter a DC/head coach needs to mix up coverages. When you run man 2 man on every play, an OC calls the plays they think will work at critical points.

Case in point with roughly 3 mins to go in the first quarter and Iowa with the ball, we should have been trying to make Iowa use the clock and force them to go into the wind at the end of that drive (force them to punt into the wind or force the drive to continue into the wind). Therefore, IMO, we should not have been in man to man, but playing cover 2 (two safeties deep) which would force Iowa to throw underneath and/or run the ball and consume clock.

So English dials up man 2 man and Petras beats us over the top. So Iowa strikes with a call that our defense has difficulty defending. Now Iowa has momentum. They hit a couple more TE throws, then are going into the wind, but keep throwing (against our porous pass defense) because points were a priority yesterday.

Running cover 2 with safeties deep forces Petras to complete multiple pass and if we were in a zone, those TE crossing routes now have people in position to make hits and tackles.

I am not advocating going full Cover 2 like Diaco on every play, but at some point English has to some a little more unpredictable.

Brohm replaced Diaco’s prevent/cover two that couldn’t stop the run, with the exact opposite man to man safeties in the box to stop the run.

Well, an OC needs to go over the top against that defense (as Brohm has down to many defenses in the past). Obviously it’s a big risk reward play, and one Spencer Petras should have been unlikely to complete…but he did. And I bet that pass was practiced by Iowa 20 times last week. Then Ferentz went to the TE crossing routes to convert the quick TD.

Brohm and English got schooled yesterday. And I assume it was similar to the start of Wisconsin under better conditions.

Every team will keep trying to go deep until it’s not success anymore.

credit to Ferentz calling a couple of TOs early…which looked questionable, but was good TOs given the need to convert with the wind at Iowas back.

we got schooled yesterday, by a coach that Brohm typically schools

• Haha
Reactions: GolfHacker1
The cheat code for Iowa was to not have injuries on the offensive line as poor as that offensive line has been. And defensive injuries. Both of which have resulted in Purdue wins.

Fools gold for anyone who really thought that would be a long term thing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT