ADVERTISEMENT

The Athletic-BIG preseason media poll

The only thing I will disagree with was his evaluation of Diop and nobody saw his rise coming. As a regular poster on this board, I've seen hundreds of posts saying how good Diop was and could be. And I saw hundreds of posts talking about how good he could be when Painter was recruiting him out of high school. While he didn't receive many pre season accolades, He was a known force among most coaches and most intelligent basketball fans. His rise was no surprise.

I believe his rating of Purdue was accurate. I believe there will be a clump of about 5-6 teams in the 3-8 range. However, I believe Purdue will be at the higher end of that clump. Our talent is great, but unproven. We are usually better as a team. Than our talent level would indicate.

This is the honest truth. I clicked x and closed the article immediately when I read the next paragraph
Who is the better guard duo? Simpson and Mathews? Cash Winston is easily the best PG in the Big Ten, so I'm sure that weighs heavily into them being claimed as the top guard duo.

Who is the better guard duo? Simpson and Mathews? Cash Winston is easily the best PG in the Big Ten, so I'm sure that weighs heavily into them being claimed as the top guard duo.

I mean name any conference team and youre likely to name a team with a better guard duo.

No gripes with Ca$$ius. Hes a very poor defender but elite offensive player.

Langfords really bad on both sides of the ball.

Right? Tell me another back court duo whose two guards are career 46 and 41% 3 point shooters? Does Langford need to become a better defender? Sure and that's something that can easily be corrected because most good defense, especially when talking on-ball defending is heart and effort. It didn't help that Langord had to play in Bridges shadow for 2 years but to act like he's one of the "worst starters in college basketball" is mind-blowing. Some of Langford's best games last year were against MSU best opponents. Dropped 23 on UNC, 17 on ND when they were healthy and #5 in the country. Scored 17 on Ohio State as well.

He wins? Wins what? The argument? You realize you can form an opinion, throw in a disingenuous stat or two, and still be completely off base right? You’re really going to say that Illinois is a better team than MSU because they have two players with better analytical stats than two players from MSU and say that’s a fact-based opinion? Or because you aren’t a good 3pt shooter you can’t be one of the best freshman in the conference? How ridiculous does that sound? It’s literally the equivalent of me saying Shaquille O’Neal isn’t good at basketball because he isn’t a good free throw shooter. It’s an opinion backed by a cherry-picked stat.
He wins because you can't control your emotions over what he posts. You get so outraged about an opinion on a basketball board. You can't force yourself to just let him have his opinion. You want to control what he thinks and he doesn't give a cr@p about what you think.

He wins because you can't control your emotions over what he posts. You get so outraged about an opinion on a basketball board. You can't force yourself to just let him have his opinion. You want to control what he thinks and he doesn't give a cr@p about what you think.

I would agree with boiler Andy . I can't believe how much baiting exists on this board. So many people post stuff knowing it will trigger a response from certain people and then just sit back waiting for the response to amuse themselves.

Reactions: mathboy

You’re assuming that I’m losing sleep over his posts, I’m not. I just think he’s incredibly unintelligent when it comes to basketball and have no shame in letting him know so.

And the irony of you calling me triggered is rich. You’re one of three posters on here where 90% of your posts are reminding someone with a contrarian POV that this is a Purdue board and/or talking about IU fans posting here to seek validation. You guys can’t stand that and don’t know how to handle your emotions (you, Purdue85, and Proudopete).

You’re assuming that I’m losing sleep over his posts, I’m not. I just think he’s incredibly unintelligent when it comes to basketball and have no shame in letting him know so.

And the irony of you calling me triggered is rich. You’re one of three posters on here where 90% of your posts are reminding someone with a contrarian POV that this is a Purdue board and/or talking about IU fans posting here to seek validation. You guys can’t stand that and don’t know how to handle your emotions (you, Purdue85, and Proudopete).
I welcome civil debates or discussions. We all have our own opinions whether fact base or knowledge base about basketball per say. There is no right or wrong opinion bcuz it’s our own and on one can change that. Facts backed up with data is cool too but all in all this board is an open forum for all to express their opinions. Since I’ve beem on here for the most part it’s fans being fans happy when you win mad and very opinionated when you loose comes with territory. As season fast approaches this back and forth about who team will do what and what player will do whist is just that opinions no one can predict what is gonna happen until it happpens. If I can see through the future my time is up on this board I’m getting PIAD lol . Getting into internet fights not gonna help anybody I no I had my share last year and as a grown women I should have known better but I let my emotions get the best of me now I’m in a better place why bcuz my son told me (Mom don’t worry about what others think or say about me it doesn’t bother me as long as I got you by my side supporting me that’s all that matters to me) that sent chills down my spine and today I’m in a way better place not letting comments good or bad effect my mental judgement. 3 weeks from now there will be basketball and I tell u I sure as hell cant wait I’m so ready to see this team play and my son play been a long 7 months now and it’s around the corner. Only time will tell what each of these team will do we as Purdue fans gonna cheer for our team and you as IU fans that frequent this site that has mostly Purdue fans on it will cheer for your team but ultimately none of us gonna know what the outcome gonna be until these teams play period. Best of luck to both team especially Purdue obviously.

Sounds like someone needs a hug.

Reactions: Ignacious McNutt
I welcome civil debates or discussions. We all have our own opinions whether fact base or knowledge base about basketball per say. There is no right or wrong opinion bcuz it’s our own and on one can change that. Facts backed up with data is cool too but all in all this board is an open forum for all to express their opinions. Since I’ve beem on here for the most part it’s fans being fans happy when you win mad and very opinionated when you loose comes with territory. As season fast approaches this back and forth about who team will do what and what player will do whist is just that opinions no one can predict what is gonna happen until it happpens. If I can see through the future my time is up on this board I’m getting PIAD lol . Getting into internet fights not gonna help anybody I no I had my share last year and as a grown women I should have known better but I let my emotions get the best of me now I’m in a better place why bcuz my son told me (Mom don’t worry about what others think or say about me it doesn’t bother me as long as I got you by my side supporting me that’s all that matters to me) that sent chills down my spine and today I’m in a way better place not letting comments good or bad effect my mental judgement. 3 weeks from now there will be basketball and I tell u I sure as hell cant wait I’m so ready to see this team play and my son play been a long 7 months now and it’s around the corner. Only time will tell what each of these team will do we as Purdue fans gonna cheer for our team and you as IU fans that frequent this site that has mostly Purdue fans on it will cheer for your team but ultimately none of us gonna know what the outcome gonna be until these teams play period. Best of luck to both team especially Purdue obviously.

I really don't care what IU does as I'm not an IU fan.

LOL. And once again you are offended by what others post about IU or their fans. Why?

I do think you lose sleep over his posts. Unprovoked you continue to bring up things he posted 2 or 3 weeks ago. Most here would not even remember what he posted if you didn't keep it alive.

Reactions: BBG

I am afraid that you do seem to post angry messages regarding what others have posted. The term for that is "triggered". In other words, something others have posted trigged your response.

Nothing wrong with being triggered if somebody gets personal with you. However, at issue here is that you seem triggered by others predictions about the various teams in the BIG. They are not insulting you! I certainly disagree with some of the projections, but I don't feel the need to post insults to others like you seem to do.

I recommend you give other Boilermakers a little latitude to form and espouse their own opinions. We will know soon enough who was right.

Let me be very clear here: until the season starts, nobody is 'right' or 'wrong' about their projections.

Reactions: BoilerAndy and BBG
Nah, mgk is pretty darn wrong. I think the only operative question is whether he’s trying to troll people with his posts. Either way, this board would be much better off without him.

I really don't care what IU does as I'm not an IU fan.
270501-liarswhowlie.jpg

Nah, mgk is pretty darn wrong. I think the only operative question is whether he’s trying to troll people with his posts. Either way, this board would be much better off without him.
I have to disagree with you entirely.
(1) Nobody is wrong... yet.
(2) I like the variety of perspectives.

I'll go with the smell test. BAB almost always defends IU and MGK has (perhaps) overly optimistic PU takes. Something smells of trailer parks.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
I am afraid that you do seem to post angry messages regarding what others have posted. The term for that is "triggered". In other words, something others have posted trigged your response.

Nothing wrong with being triggered if somebody gets personal with you. However, at issue here is that you seem triggered by others predictions about the various teams in the BIG. They are not insulting you! I certainly disagree with some of the projections, but I don't feel the need to post insults to others like you seem to do.

I recommend you give other Boilermakers a little latitude to form and espouse their own opinions. We will know soon enough who was right.

Let me be very clear here: until the season starts, nobody is 'right' or 'wrong' about their projections.
This comment is completely off-topic and has nothing to do with the original post. I would ask that you please keep it to the topic at hand or bring it over to the general discussion board. Thanks.

...and, so what? He is entitled to his opinion. I don't happen to share it, but I can't refute it, except by saying, "Hey look, everybody else predicts something else". Not really a courageous or independently supported response.

It is just an opinion. Don't get so over the top trying to prove he is wrong, especially before the season starts. Hell, he could be right!
Very doubtful. I think Illinois will be better than what most think. I don't think there's a chance in hell Langford isn't among the Top freshman in the Big 10.
Sure you can refute it. Just b/c he uses stats that fit his narrative, doesn't mean his argument is bullet proof. His takes are, well---"out there". I like him though. Knowledgeable. If he was just stay away the crazy "predictions"....Like implaying Ethan Happ might be the best CBB of all-time.:eek:

Reactions: mathboy
This comment is completely off-topic and has nothing to do with the original post. I would ask that you please keep it to the topic at hand or bring it over to the general discussion board. Thanks.
Read it in context John. I think you will find it fits right where it is. But hey, it's your opinion and you are welcome to it!

Read it in context John. I think you will find it fits right where it is. But hey, it's your opinion and you are welcome to it!
I read the post in context. It had nothing to do with the athletic preseason poll. I would appreciate if all posts were kept on topic out of respect to the op. Feel free to discuss "triggered" posters on the general discussion board or an OT triggered post. Thanks again!

https://theathletic.com/577576/2018...ketball-media-poll-plus-my-picks-for-2018-19/

The Athletic has posted their preseason media poll for the Big Ten this year. They polled 2 media members from each school. It’s a pretty good write up for anyone that’s interested. Includes All BIG teams, player of the year, etc. The article seems to be free, as I was able to view it without an Athletic subscription.
I still think anyone putting IU above fifth or sixth is making a big mistake. And Purdue will sit above the Hoosiers when it's said and done, most likely no worse than third, with a huge shot at runner up in the league

I mean name any conference team and youre likely to name a team with a better guard duo.

No gripes with Ca$$ius. Hes a very poor defender but elite offensive player.

Langfords really bad on both sides of the ball.
Bingo. If MSU has a glaring weakness its perimeter defense. Langford and Winston both had issues last year. McQuaid not much better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT