ADVERTISEMENT

The "Anti-Racism" Religion

guidelinesa2

All-American
Sep 3, 2018

"‘I write this viscerally driven by the fact that the ideology in question is one under which white people calling themselves our saviours make black people look like the dumbest, weakest, most self-indulgent human beings in the history of our species, and teach black people to revel in that status and cherish it as making us special.’"

This one is especially for @BNIBoiler

Reactions: pboiler18

"‘I write this viscerally driven by the fact that the ideology in question is one under which white people calling themselves our saviours make black people look like the dumbest, weakest, most self-indulgent human beings in the history of our species, and teach black people to revel in that status and cherish it as making us special.’"

This one is especially for @BNIBoiler
Don’t call me out about this topic. Myself and other blacks aren’t the ones pushing this stuff. You need to discuss this with other white people that are doing this in schools or wherever.

This is what you say you support. You vote for this crap.

You vote for Democrats this is exactly what you are pushing. You call the blacks who oppose this stuff derogatory racist names. You can't wash your hands of it and say you aren't pushing it.

If you support Democrats you are handing power to these white people who are pushing these policies.

This is what you say you support. You vote for this crap.

You vote for Democrats this is exactly what you are pushing. You call the blacks who oppose this stuff derogatory racist names. You can't wash your hands of it and say you aren't pushing it.

If you support Democrats you are handing power to these white people who are pushing these policies.
What I don’t like is what the repubs are doing. They don’t like what is taught in tradidtional American history class about blacks and racism. Stuff we all learned about and that has been taught for years like Rosa Parks. They now incorrectly call it CRT and remove from the history books. Texas has been doing this for years. They are basically now putting in the history books that slavery wasn’t as bad as it was for an example.

I’m not the only democrat on here. Blacks aren’t the ones pushing that stuff you talk about. Therefore, take your issue up with the so called white liberals that are actually doing what you say.

What I don’t like is what the repubs are doing. They don’t like what is taught in tradidtional American history class about blacks and racism. Stuff we all learned about and that has been taught for years like Rosa Parks. They now incorrectly call it CRT and remove from the history books. Texas has been doing this for years. They are basically now putting in the history books that slavery wasn’t as bad as it was for an example.

I’m not the only democrat on here. Blacks aren’t the ones pushing that stuff you talk about. Therefore, take your issue up with the so called white liberals that are actually doing what you say.

This is just a complete lie.

The entire controversy is that the schools have stopped teaching about equality and a color blind society and are now pushing a Marxist agenda on race where whites are oppressors and blacks are victims.

White liberals tell black liberals what and how to think. And black liberals go along with it. That should upset you.

White liberals tell black liberals what and how to think. And black liberals go along with it. That should upset you.
I keep telling you over and over stop saying that white liberals tell us how to think. That is very ignorant of you. NOBODY has to tell blacks how to think. We live it. We observe what is going on like I said about Texas. You and others on this board really need to be around more blacks. You guys really need to listen to more black talk radio instead of that far right Alex Jones bullsh*t. Listen to Joe Madison on Ch. 126 on SiriusXM from 5:00am to 9:00am M-F. The white liberals listen to blacks and empathize. It would do the repubs some good if they do the same.

do you guys realize how broken the discussion you are trying to have is? "You vote for democrats who are doing this" "The republicans are trying to do this!"

do people ever actually engage with any of the actual IDEAS that you are talking about? you both are seriously just one or two steps removed from clubbing each other over the heads and grunting at each other.

"The democrats are doing this!!" vs "Far right Alex Jones bullsh*t this!!" it is such a systemic failure of education and dialogue. I tend to believe that if people got together at a tailgate, it might go a bit better, but I'm not sure how much better.

This is not the way the founding fathers were hoping we would be addressing these issues when they started the country. Not just for the community here, but for your own personal sanity, try to do better.

Here's my homework assignment:

guidelinesa2: please read either/or Racism Without Racists by Eduardo Bonilla-Silva or Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria by Beverly Daniel Tatum. Both are 1000x better than Kendi or DiAngelo and while I can't say I agree with everything they write, they do a fantastic job of painting a very fair case for the "religion" of anti-racism.

On a somewhat personal note, this would be my critique of McWhorter's new book. Kendi and DiAngelo are low-hanging fruit, and sure they are popular now, but there are much better books written about this stuff that aren't pushed by publishing houses and the NYT. Responding to Kendi or DiAngelo is like debating a puppy to me. It's intellectually unfair. I still understand why McWhorter wrote the book, but he'd have been better off addressing Charles Mills than these clowns.

BNI Boiler: read something you will definitely disagree with, like Dinesh D'Souza's like Death of a Nation or Thomas Sowell's Conquests And Cultures: An International History.

I am not naive enough to think that both of you immediately went to look for critiques of what I just suggested you read, while putting the opposing's suggestions on your reading list. And therein lies the problem we currently face in this country. Is that so many people are so hell-bent on proving the other wrong, that very few individuals want to stop and actually try to educate themselves by listening, reading across vast topics, and trying to understand where the other is coming from.

The issue isn't "systemic" (at least in the very broad sense), and it isn't political. The issue here is failure at the individual level. What are you willing to study and learn about? We live in a country of 350 million people from all over the world - willing to read a book or two with an open-mind that might not have been your first choice? If the answer is no, then therein lies the issues with modern America today.

These issues obviously aren't constrained to the USA, but as the USA has done throughout the past 250 years, the USA is leading the international pack in this stuff...and it's coming to a country near you if it hasn't already.

I keep telling you over and over stop saying that white liberals tell us how to think. That is very ignorant of you. NOBODY has to tell blacks how to think. We live it. We observe what is going on like I said about Texas. You and others on this board really need to be around more blacks. You guys really need to listen to more black talk radio instead of that far right Alex Jones bullsh*t. Listen to Joe Madison on Ch. 126 on SiriusXM from 5:00am to 9:00am M-F. The white liberals listen to blacks and empathize. It would do the repubs some good if they do the same.

Let me make a correction for you: White liberals listen to blacks who agree with them politically and ideologically. White liberals dismiss black conservatives or black Republicans.

They usually label them as Uncle Toms or some other derogatory racist term.

We have more respect for blacks than we have respect for you. You can’t comprehend basic things. And white liberals have no respect for blacks!! They think you’re helpless and you’re only votes for them so they can stay in power. Look at Biden’s quote about you ain’t black if you don’t vote Democrat.

do you guys realize how broken the discussion you are trying to have is? "You vote for democrats who are doing this" "The republicans are trying to do this!"

do people ever actually engage with any of the actual IDEAS that you are talking about? you both are seriously just one or two steps removed from clubbing each other over the heads and grunting at each other.

"The democrats are doing this!!" vs "Far right Alex Jones bullsh*t this!!" it is such a systemic failure of education and dialogue. I tend to believe that if people got together at a tailgate, it might go a bit better, but I'm not sure how much better.

This is not the way the founding fathers were hoping we would be addressing these issues when they started the country. Not just for the community here, but for your own personal sanity, try to do better.

guidelinesa2: please read either/or Racism Without Racists by Eduardo Bonilla-Silva or Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria by Beverly Daniel Tatum. Both are 1000x better than Kendi or DiAngelo and while I can't say I agree with everything they write, they do a fantastic job of painting a very fair case for the "religion" of anti-racism.

On a somewhat personal note, this would be my critique of McWhorter's new book. Kendi and DiAngelo are low-hanging fruit, and sure they are popular now, but there are much better books written about this stuff that aren't pushed by publishing houses and the NYT. Responding to Kendi or DiAngelo is like debating a puppy to me. It's intellectually unfair. I still understand why McWhorter wrote the book, but he'd have been better off addressing Charles Mills than these clowns.

BNI Boiler: read something you will definitely disagree with, like Dinesh D'Souza's like Death of a Nation or Thomas Sowell's Conquests And Cultures: An International History.

I am not naive enough to think that both of you immediately went to look for critiques of what I just suggested you read, while putting the opposing's suggestions on your reading list. And therein lies the problem we currently face in this country. Is that so many people are so hell-bent on proving the other wrong, that very few individuals want to stop and actually try to educate themselves by listening, reading across vast topics, and trying to understand where the other is coming from.

The issue isn't "systemic" (at least in the very broad sense), and it isn't political. The issue here is failure at the individual level. What are you willing to study and learn about? We live in a country of 350 million people from all over the world - willing to read a book or two with an open-mind that might not have been your first choice? If the answer is no, then therein lies the issues with modern America today.

These issues obviously aren't constrained to the USA, but as the USA has done throughout the past 250 years, the USA is leading the international pack in this stuff...and it's coming to a country near you if it hasn't already.

While I don't disagree with this, I think we've become so divided that even bringing very logical discussions into the debate will do little to change peoples minds, particularly those who are deeply invested in their emotional position despite with facts and statistics say.

I think you'll see more people who are considered independents gravitating away from liberal ideas and positions. The Gov race in Virginia is a good example.

While I don't disagree with this, I think we've become so divided that even bringing very logical discussions into the debate will do little to change peoples minds, particularly those who are deeply invested in their emotional position despite with facts and statistics say.

I think you'll see more people who are considered independents gravitating away from liberal ideas and positions. The Gov race in Virginia is a good example.
And take @BNIBoiler for example. He very often completely ignores facts and statistics and lives with the narrative. Dolts like him have divided this country. We live in a society that doesn’t recognize facts, only the narrative!!

Reactions: Level 42
And take @BNIBoiler for example. He very often completely ignores facts and statistics and lives with the narrative. Dolts like him have divided this country. We live in a society that doesn’t recognize facts, only the narrative!!

Ha ha....was BNI that obvious? He's the classic "I don't care what the facts and statistics say. This is what I believe and you can't tell me differently."
Fortunately for BNI, he's not an attorney, otherwise, he'd be on the unemployment line.

Despite what all the science says, if BNI thinks the sun rises in the west, then damnit, he's going to continue to argue that the sun rises in the west.

I agree with you - on both guidelinesa2 and BoilerBNI - I'm not trying to change either of their minds - that is an utterly lost cause, and I think probably 75% of this board knows it. That shouldn't even be the goal - to change someone's mind. Would I like to have a conversation with them and listen to them and see what they think, and if it extrapolates to the world at large? Sure! Do I have the time? Nope! I'm hoping someone else will read this and think about picking up one of these books they disagree with. Only one. If one person reads a book or two I listed here that they wouldn't have otherwise read, I've won with this post. If not, I'll try again in the classroom and keep working on the youth, rather that spending my time here.

I agree with you - on both guidelinesa2 and BoilerBNI - I'm not trying to change either of their minds - that is an utterly lost cause, and I think probably 75% of this board knows it. That shouldn't even be the goal - to change someone's mind. Would I like to have a conversation with them and listen to them and see what they think, and if it extrapolates to the world at large? Sure! Do I have the time? Nope! I'm hoping someone else will read this and think about picking up one of these books they disagree with. Only one. If one person reads a book or two I listed here that they wouldn't have otherwise read, I've won with this post. If not, I'll try again in the classroom and keep working on the youth, rather that spending my time here.

Are you a teacher/professor? What subject?

Are you a teacher/professor? What subject?
Finishing my PhD in Education and work in a few different fields. Mentor at the college level, as well as work with the Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman Scholarship Foundation (MiSK) in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia (why I'm awake right now) and Ministry of Education in Chongqing, China.

My research interests are educational epistemology and educational policy/systems internationally. While I will admit I have followed the CRT and education culture wars extremely closely in the USA, I have hopefully made clear before that i am quantitatively driven in a field that is hard to quantify, which no doubt influences some posts I make here. I never cared about the political culture wars until I realized how closely education was tied to them. Which is maybe why you see me here.

Last edited:
If you all want any hard-core proof that China could surpass the USA, I feel confident a class of 8th graders that I oversee in Chongqing at a public school could better analyze and respond to guidelinesa2 and BoilerBNI than either of them were able to respond to the other.

And those students in Chongqing are 14, and would be doing it in their second language.

I tutor an 8th grader from east Oahu that can't read at a 6th grade level. Pretty crazy times to be in education.

If you all want any hard-core proof that China could surpass the USA, I feel confident a class of 8th graders that I oversee in Chongqing at a public school could better analyze and respond to guidelinesa2 and BoilerBNI than either of them were able to respond to the other.

And those students in Chongqing are 14, and would be doing it in their second language.

I tutor an 8th grader from east Oahu that can't read at a 6th grade level. Pretty crazy times to be in education.
They're also both old people who are still using internet forums so it's a low bar.

I will never read anything from Dinesh. Dinesh is a fool.

Let me make a correction for you: White liberals listen to blacks who agree with them politically and ideologically. White liberals dismiss black conservatives or black Republicans.

They usually label them as Uncle Toms or some other derogatory racist term.
First of all the correct term is Gumbo/Sambo according to Harriet Stowe’s book “Uncle Tom’s Cabin”. Uncle Yom in the book is actually the hero. Gumbo and Sambo were the traitors. Years after the book’s release the names got reversed. Anyhow, I’ve said this over and over, not all black conservatives are Gumbo/Sambos. Just the small % that put other blacks under the bus, perpetuate white supremacy, or say dumbass stuff about slavery and racism.

I will never read anything from Dinesh. Dinesh is a fool.
Then here is the issue, front and center, that I am talking about. Dinesh D'Souza is a Dartmouth graduate who has written for years, and was an advisor to the president of the United States. Extremely accomplished.

You are an anonymous poster on this message board who seems to lack any understanding of a view outside of your own.

You are calling Dinesh a fool.

There's nothing I can do about that. The change has to start with you. If it doesn't, you will be unable to live (and engage) well in a free world around you. That issue is yours and yours alone.

Don't ever tell me I didn't offer you the key :)

Then here is the issue, front and center, that I am talking about. Dinesh D'Souza is a Dartmouth graduate who has written for years, and was an advisor to the president of the United States. Extremely accomplished.

You are an anonymous poster on this message board who seems to lack any understanding of a view outside of your own.

There's nothing I can do about that. The change has to start with you. If it doesn't, you will be unable to live (and engage) well in a free world around you. That issue is yours and yours alone.

Fantastic and 100% accurate post.

Reactions: bonefish1

You can certainly do better than Dinesh. I mean come on. A convicted felon, conspiracy theorist, extreme right winger. You can’t try to meet someone in the middle if you’re using him as an example. Do better.

You can certainly do better than Dinesh. I mean come on. A convicted felon, conspiracy theorist, extreme right winger. You can’t try to meet someone in the middle if you’re using him as an example. Do better.
Ok....how about Ben Shapiro?

Ok....how about Ben Shapiro?
Y’all can’t do it, can you? Find someone who doesn’t shriek about liberals like Ben or Dinesh. That’s all those guys do. Scream about owning the libs and “woke culture” and other nonsense to appeal to an easily goaded base. Those guys aren’t interested in any meaningful conversation. I can see why you like them, though. They know their audience.

You are chiming in on this board to proclaim yourself superior to me, and condemn me, simply because you are an intellectual.

If you want to contribute, why don't you engage me or @BNIBoiler with ideas and see what happens.

You want to attempt to change my mind on something? Try me. Don't just tell me to go read a book. I don't need a book to tell me what to think.

Reactions: BNIBoiler
I'm not trying to meet someone in the middle. I'm trying to offer them something that is vastly different than they would usually read. It engages you with the writing and forces you to hone your own arguments.

"Extreme" right-winger is probably a bit much, considering he's an immigrant of color. But he's certainly conservative. But why does that bother people? What's the big deal? What ideas of his do you dislike? If you can't answer these questions, you're the one at fault.

I saw this up close and personal when I was abroad in 2016. So many Americans abroad were happy to yell "F*** TRUMP!" and when I would ask them something like "What policies of his do you not support?" they would say stuff like "HE'S A RACIST!" or "HOW CAN YOU VOTE FOR SOMEONE SO BAD, F HIM!"

If you're unable to answer questions like this in a thread about politics, you're simply not ready to discuss it on the internet. That's kind of my personal policy, and it keeps me out of a lot of discussions that start like this.

Again, Dinesh D'Souza, for as angry as this will make you, is extremely accomplished and educated. Engage with what he is saying, not who he is. I'm not telling you I like him, I agree with him, or that I support his life goals and personal projects. I'm simply asking that you engage with the arguments he makes in a book or two. At the VERY least, it will make you smarter by fine-tuning your own personal beliefs, and you'll end up having a doorstopper for your home.

Y’all can’t do it, can you? Find someone who doesn’t shriek about liberals like Ben or Dinesh. That’s all those guys do. Scream about owning the libs and “woke culture” and other nonsense to appeal to an easily goaded base. Those guys aren’t interested in any meaningful conversation. I can see why you like them, though. They know their audience.
Shapiro is way too intelligent for you anyway. I can see why you don't like him.

How about Rachel Maddow, would you like to read his book?

You are chiming in on this board to proclaim yourself superior to me, and condemn me, simply because you are an intellectual.

If you want to contribute, why don't you engage me or @BNIBoiler with ideas and see what happens.

You want to attempt to change my mind on something? Try me. Don't just tell me to go read a book. I don't need a book to tell me what to think.
Ok then. Let's start here, as it is something that I am EXTREMELY familiar with.
The entire controversy is that the schools have stopped teaching about equality and a color blind society and are now pushing a Marxist agenda on race where whites are oppressors and blacks are victims.
I would like a source on this, please. I'll only ask for one, even though you qualified it with "school(s)". I ask for a direct source - not an article to a news website. If you want to engage with these ideas, I am happy to do so.

I'm not trying to meet someone in the middle. I'm trying to offer them something that is vastly different than they would usually read. It engages you with the writing and forces you to hone your own arguments.

"Extreme" right-winger is probably a bit much, considering he's an immigrant of color. But he's certainly conservative. But why does that bother people? What's the big deal? What ideas of his do you dislike? If you can't answer these questions, you're the one at fault.

I saw this up close and personal when I was abroad in 2016. So many Americans abroad were happy to yell "F*** TRUMP!" and when I would ask them something like "What policies of his do you not support?" they would say stuff like "HE'S A RACIST!" or "HOW CAN YOU VOTE FOR SOMEONE SO BAD, F HIM!"

If you're unable to answer questions like this in a thread about politics, you're simply not ready to discuss it on the internet. That's kind of my personal policy, and it keeps me out of a lot of discussions that start like this.

Again, Dinesh D'Souza, for as angry as this will make you, is extremely accomplished and educated. Engage with what he is saying, not who he is. I'm not telling you I like him, I agree with him, or that I support his life goals and personal projects. I'm simply asking that you engage with the arguments he makes in a book or two. At the VERY least, it will make you smarter by fine-tuning your own personal beliefs, and you'll end up having a doorstopper for your home.
It doesn’t bother me that he’s a conservative. It bothers me that he’s a conspiracy theorist and thinks he’s “owning the libs”. That's the answer to your question. Believe me, this isn't that deep, regardless of the paragraphs you've posted about your background on here combined with your patronization. I'm telling you that you're using a terrible example of someone who is supposedly conservative, nothing more.

Regarding his immigrant status. So what? WTF does that have to do with anything? Nice strawman. Same with his education status. Another strawman. I mean, with all of your education, the best you can do is Dinesh D'Souza? Give me a break.

You're pulling from the bottom of a pile. It's like if I were to prop AOC up as someone that folks should listen to. They would have the same issues about her that I do about Dinesh. Surely you can understand that?

It doesn’t bother me that he’s a conservative. It bothers me that he’s a conspiracy theorist and thinks he’s “owning the libs”. That's the answer to your question. Believe me, this isn't that deep, regardless of the paragraphs you've posted about your background on here combined with your patronization. I'm telling you that you're using a terrible example of someone who is supposedly conservative, nothing more.

Regarding his immigrant status. So what? WTF does that have to do with anything? Nice strawman. Same with his education status. Another strawman. I mean, with all of your education, the best you can do is Dinesh D'Souza? Give me a break.

You're pulling from the bottom of a pile. It's like if I were to prop AOC up as someone that folks should listen to. They would have the same issues about her that I do about Dinesh. Surely you can understand that?
Conspiracy theorist a label you have chosen to attach to him. I've never seen him offer up a conspiracy theory - though I admit I could have missed it.

I’ve watched Dinesh on Faux News for years. I don’t need to read any of his books. I know what he is about.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT