ADVERTISEMENT

The 3-4 and George; I’m asking

BCfanatic2020

All-American
Jan 5, 2020
“The defensive line is made up of a nose tackle(NT) and two defensive ends (DEs). Linemen in 3–4 schemes tend to be larger than their 4–3 counterparts to take up more space and guard more territory along the defensive front. As a consequence, many 3–4 defensive linemen begin their NFL careers as 4–3 defensive tackles, as younger players typically do not possess the size, weight, and strength to play on a 3–4 defensive front. They must be strong at the point of attack and are aligned in most cases head-up on an offensive tackle. First and foremost, they must control run gaps. Size and strength become more of a factor for linemen in 3–4 defenses than in 4–3 defenses because they move primarily within the confines of line play and seldom are in space using athletic ability.”

this isn’t a waste of George? I’m genuinely curious

“The defensive line is made up of a nose tackle(NT) and two defensive ends (DEs). Linemen in 3–4 schemes tend to be larger than their 4–3 counterparts to take up more space and guard more territory along the defensive front. As a consequence, many 3–4 defensive linemen begin their NFL careers as 4–3 defensive tackles, as younger players typically do not possess the size, weight, and strength to play on a 3–4 defensive front. They must be strong at the point of attack and are aligned in most cases head-up on an offensive tackle. First and foremost, they must control run gaps. Size and strength become more of a factor for linemen in 3–4 defenses than in 4–3 defenses because they move primarily within the confines of line play and seldom are in space using athletic ability.”

this isn’t a waste of George? I’m genuinely curious

Great players can play anywhere and make an impact. No matter the scheme a great player will be relevant. GK may be best as a 4-3 end, but I could also see him as a JJ watt type. GK might be smaller at this stage of his career, but I think Watt goes 290 or so.

I would like to see us run more 4-3, especially in pass situations. I am still trying to understand some of what Diaco is trying to get done. It’s been somewhat effective. Pressure on the pass rush is definitely one of the top priorities in my mind right now.

Our pressure has been weak. We’re dead last in the Big Ten with only three sacks in four games. Everyone else has at least five sacks and up to 17. We’re eighth in defensive yards allowed (404.5 per game) but only 11th in pass defense yardage (259 per game). Somehow we’re sixth in points allowed (26.3).

But the worst pass defenses in the Big Ten ... Michigan and Ohio State.

We’re eighth in defensive yards allowed (404.5 per game) but only 11th in pass defense yardage (259 per game). Somehow we’re sixth in points allowed (26.3).

Thats what Diaco does. He surrenders yards between the 20s and then tighens up and forces a kick or turnover.

GK had 2 sacks in his first two games prior to the Illinois injury. He was having an impact. Also, as ImRon said, we play a lot of 4 man front.

Thats what Diaco does. He surrenders yards between the 20s and then tighens up and forces a kick or turnover.

except that when teams have gotten to the red zone players like brown and ibrahim have run through us like hot butter

except that when teams have gotten to the red zone players like brown and ibrahim have run through us like hot butter
Ibrahim did. Purdue also held him to his lowest total yardage and ypc on the season.

Purdue is 6th in the conference in scoring defense. Thatshould be enough with our offensive talent

Ibrahim did. Purdue also held him to his lowest total yardage and ypc on the season.

Purdue is 6th in the conference in scoring defense. Thatshould be enough with our offensive talent

Talent yes, brohm coaching like he has something to lose? No

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT