ADVERTISEMENT

The #2 Movement

At least I have creds to "fly out the window". Tell all to see that you didn't openly support Davis, Kelvin, and Crean and that you never said that you thought Crean would take the program back to it's glory days. Tell all what your former name was on Peegs.
Lovely.

Mods; feel free to check my email address and my posting history. I have never posted on peegs, ever. I have posted regularly on other Indiana basketball boards, but never peegs. There are other Indiana boards that are far far better than peegs.

As for the substance of how I felt about prior Indiana coaches, I was very much hoping that Davis would succeed, but it was apparent after three or four years that he wasn't up to the task.

I was very much against hiring Sampson, enjoyed how good an on court coach he was, and then saw the quality of human being he was bringing into the program. Yuck.

Crean? I think he's a high quality human being but really weird, and his quirky personality is a killer of any chance of IU taking advantage of their built-in advantages in in-state recruiting. I think that Crean is a pretty good offensive coach, a ridiculously awful defensive coach, and that the fact that he never played the game is a huge credibility killer in the eyes of his high-end players.

As with any fan, my opinions on these coaches were altered by the relative successes or failures that they had along the way.

So there.

Last edited:
Reactions: punaj
Have no issues with JM here. He's here pointing out the upside of the Miller hire...and there is upside. He acknowledged the fair questions some have and if we're to be objective we should acknowledge the chance that he will do very well there as well. We all can guess as to what will happen but at this juncture it's all just speculation.

I think the big point that many of the fans from both sides are missing is that it's possible for both to be good simultaneously. If Archie Miller is successful it doesn't doom us nor does our success ruin their chances to be good.

Have no issues with JM here. He's here pointing out the upside of the Miller hire...and there is upside. He acknowledged the fair questions some have and if we're to be objective we should acknowledge the chance that he will do very well there as well. We all can guess as to what will happen but at this juncture it's all just speculation.

I think the big point that many of the fans from both sides are missing is that it's possible for both to be good simultaneously. If Archie Miller is successful it doesn't doom us nor does our success ruin their chances to be good.

Well hell, there's a 25 year stretch when both teams were good!
There's plenty of talent to go around. All Purdue and Indiana need are the right coaches to properly utilize and motivate "enough" talent.

Reactions: TC4THREE

As a former die-hard money contributing Hoosier, I used to be like a lot of the "IU is the greatest" group. And you're right, for the most part JM is pretty civil but for some reason has an issue with me because I no longer kiss the ring. Archie has proven nothing in a major conference, and like Crean has come in bringing some pretty decent recruits. But he hasn't defeated anyone in the Big yet, and like Crean has a great chance to be the next flash in the pan. And I guess what bothers me more than anything is that most IU fans can't admit that IU is nothing special, nor nothing to be feared in athletics anymore.

My guess.....possible NIT this year for IU...maybe. But like Crean, but not as bad as Kelvin...Archie has had several players get suspended. And yes, I did root for Dayton in that Ellite 8 run.

As a former die-hard money contributing Hoosier, I used to be like a lot of the "IU is the greatest" group. And you're right, for the most part JM is pretty civil but for some reason has an issue with me because I no longer kiss the ring. Archie has proven nothing in a major conference, and like Crean has come in bringing some pretty decent recruits. But he hasn't defeated anyone in the Big yet, and like Crean has a great chance to be the next flash in the pan. And I guess what bothers me more than anything is that most IU fans can't admit that IU is nothing special, nor nothing to be feared in athletics anymore.

My guess.....possible NIT this year for IU...maybe. But like Crean, but not as bad as Kelvin...Archie has had several players get suspended. And yes, I did root for Dayton in that Ellite 8 run.

Why do you care?

Not to get into a no win situation, but there are no more men trapped in women bodies than before. If more men felt they were trapped then it is not genetics and if not genetics, then there is no trap. You either have XX or XY.
Sorry, wasn't suggesting there was. In that kitchen sink response I replied to, it was stated youth of today have transgender issues to battle (the implication being that this was something new). So I asked - are there more men trapped in women's bodies today than yesterday? I was arguing "no", same as you.

Last edited:
Reactions: tjreese
Sorry, wasn't suggesting there was. In that kitchen sink response I replied to, it was stated youth of today have transgender issues to battle (the implication being that this was something new). So I asked - are there more men trapped in women's bodies today than yesterday? I was arguing "no", same as you.
Been traveling and couldn't spend enough time to understand all the posts, but was thinking boilerkid or 18 may have posted something about water or something making men have more estrogen and just assumed that more estrogen through the source would make lesbians straight. We have a social choice not supported by genetics. It is not my choice to orient myself in that direction, but there are also many social choices I don't understand and some are from very good people

Reactions: bwebb32
A few points about this thread:

Twin has been a long term poster here and I have always appreciated his contributions, even when I have disagreed with him. He has his views and they have been pretty consistent and supportive of Purdue.

JM is a more recent poster. He has always been courteous and presented his view in a fair manner, even though we have disagreed on more than one occasion. He states that he has not posted under another name previously. I think it only fair that given his history that he be extended acceptance of his statement barring evidence to the contrary.

Twin's comment that many posters from Peegs came over here early in Crean's tenure and assured everyone that TC would led them back to the promised land is correct - even if JM was not one of them. I am sure that other readers will well remember those posts. Obviously, events did not turn out to validate those claims and many that made them now refuse to acknowledge their prior comments, even to the point of denying them.

As to Miller at IU: I do believe that he is likely a better coach than TC, but I am not sure of how much better. I also believe that he is walking into IU with huge expectations placed upon him by the fanbase, that has refused to acknowledge that the evolution of college basketball has worked against them. They are no longer a premier program. That does not mean that they could not return to that status, but there is no guarantee that they will. The fanbase expects a guarantee.

Miller MAY (emphasis intentional) be quite successful. However, it is likely to take time. My view is that it is far from guaranteed and that even if he can, he may not be able to do so in the timetable of the fanbase. I expect that he will be marginally successful, a la Crean, but that will not be good enough to satisfy the horde.

Hang loose, because those lesbian oriented may now become more feminine as well. Your well is fine for you.
My well is 120' deep - but it's still downstream from thousands of acres treated with RoundUp every year .... but I'm in my sixties and still a 34B

Reactions: SIBoiler2
If true, then Biggie Swanigan appears to be the exception. I feel the same about PJ, Dakota, and Vince, for that matter.
You are seeing the high character of the recruits Purdue is bringing in, just like Matts article described.

I'll answer this since you asked. As an educator and a father, it has been on my mind for many years. FIRST - I have children at child-bearing ages and I honestly hope they don't have children. That statement is hard to make and says a lot about my fears. Pressure today is from different sources, and more difficult to deal with.

Living the American Dream was fully possible. Get a job, buy a house, have kids, stay with the same company for 40 years, get a pension. Not so much today.

PRESSURE - I lived through Vietnam (the first meaningless and horrifyingly brutal war) in which several friends died and others came home to terrible lives. The assassination of JFK, MLK, and RFK. Things that have not happened since. The race riots in Watts, the riots at the Chicago Democratic convention. Woodstock. Talk about Civil Unrest!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, stress over war, Nixon was crazy, anti-drug war was active, racism was everywhere. But it essentially did not impact me.

ACADEMICSS - Few high schools had college prep courses, mine didn't. But PU/IU/ISU/BSU had to accept in-state students at that time. Maybe on Pro, but accepted. My opinion is that college meant something far past the party atmosphere of today. Men were going to the Moon, it was an intellectually exciting time and many rural kids grabbed on. Kids wanted to learn.

BOREDOM - Kids are bored these days. Immediate gratification provided by technology causes kids to NEED constant stimulus. I could shoot baskets for hours, ride my bike to a friends farm that was 5 miles away so we could throw rock at bottles, buy rolls of coins at the bank to search for ones I needed for my coin collection, read books. None of those fulfill today's kids - thus dissatisfaction, anger, drugs.

BULLYING - in my day, a bully would be eliminated by: A. other kids, B. school admin, C. the coach or bus driver, D. their parents. You just didn't act that way. I was in a rural community, but "bad" kids were simply not tolerated. Parents supported admins, coaches, bus drivers. Their kid wasn't "special." Bullying and peer pressure is PRESSURE ... my friends were highly supportive and fun to be around. Pressure didn't come from the kids around me.

JOBS/MONEY - Jobs were everywhere. Everyone I knew worked all they wanted to. Kids mowed yards, washed cars, put up hay, worked fast-food. Made about 7x what a gallon of gas cost. College grads got hired and paid decently. I didn't see job/money pressure like is prevalent today.
Love this. It's not intended to slight BoilerKid, just gives him a perspective he's too young to have. None of us should assume our time was the toughest. But if I had to pick one, my highest respect goes to those born in the early twenties. They survived the depression and World War Two. All then saw, and some experienced, the Korean War.
They then watched their children die in Nam.
Every generation will have its struggles.

You did. "What bothers me more than anything....."

An expression of sorts. There are many more things that bother me more than IU. Like a lack of a cure for cancer. Like Liberals not working with Trump. Fake news. Kentucky basketball. I really have taken great pleasure in watching the failings of Davis, Crean, Kelvin. And I'll be very happy to see Sean's baby brother do the same.

That said, he could be better than the three aforementioned losers and still not win a banner of any sort.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT