ADVERTISEMENT

Talent.

bonefish1

All-American
Oct 4, 2004
I’d be interested to see how our OL, DL and LBs compare on measurables with the same positions as ND.
Things like height, weight, 40 times, shuttle, 225 bench reps.
Point being, is there a significant difference physically, or is it a scheme/coaching issue.

I suspect it’s not a huge difference physically, as opposed if you compared the same with a MAC team.

I’d be interested to see how our OL, DL and LBs compare on measurables with the same positions as ND.
Point being, is there a significant difference physically, or is it a scheme/coaching issue.

I suspect it’s not a huge difference physically, as opposed if you compared the same with a MAC team.
We do not have a single DL or LB that could be on scholarship at ND right now. Hartwig could be and maybe Mbow on the OL.

Reactions: Boiler8285
We do not have a single DL or LB that could be on scholarship at ND right now. Hartwig could be and maybe Mbow on the OL.
That wasn’t the question.
For example, without looking, I bet that a on both lines, we’re very similar size-wise (ht and wt). Then the question is, is there a significant difference in strength and speed. I suspect there is a difference here.

That wasn’t the question.
For example, without looking, I bet that a on both lines, we’re very similar size-wise (ht and wt). Then the question is, is there a significant difference in strength and speed. I suspect there is a difference here.
Yeah we have a bunch of big guys that look like Tarzan and play like Jane. Why are you asking this? Very obviously our DL and LB are fine height and weight wise, but are slow and weak, relative to a top 10 type roster.

Google it. I’m pretty sure the answer is the same as it’s been for most of the last century.

Lots of blinders on still.
I get that you want to see the best in somebody who by all accounts is a good guy and wants to be here.

But when do people start admitting to themselves that we could have NDs roster and with this set of coaches they’d absolutely look just as clueless?

This team on paper is more talented than NIU. So why did NIU push ND around and we got slapped around by ND?

Lots of blinders on still.

This comes to mind for those you posted about:
This Is Fine On Fire GIF by StickerGiant

I'm more interested in how we compare with NIU.
For S&G I compared OL sizes since they made a big deal about NIUs guys being big wisconsin dudes. They are virtually the same. Within 1/2” average height and a few pounds average. That is of course if their reported sizes are accurate…

Reactions: bonefish1
Yeah we have a bunch of big guys that look like Tarzan and play like Jane. Why are you asking this? Very obviously our DL and LB are fine height and weight wise, but are slow and weak, relative to a top 10 type roster.
That's exactly why I'm asking.
For example, I'd love to see how each individual position compares with the other measurables.
If our DE is 6'5, 255, and their DE is 6'5, 260 (or whatever), what's each guy's 40 time? What's their 225 reps?
Why is it important? Because if you look the part coming off the bus, and there isn't a significant difference in the measurables, (although even a small difference can be magnified on the field during game speed), then it's a scheme/coaching issue.

For S&G I compared OL sizes since they made a big deal about NIUs guys being big wisconsin dudes. They are virtually the same. Within 1/2” average height and a few pounds average. That is of course if their reported sizes are accurate…
I had a buddy at Purdue who played Juco ball before transferring to Purdue. He said that the bid difference in the guys that move up to the P5 level isn't size (ht/wt), it's speed.

A 6'6 320 left tackle that looks like like a B10 player might not be quick enough to consistently handle a B10 DE coming off the edge, therefore, B!0 teams pass on him, but a MAC team will gladly take him.

That's exactly why I'm asking.
For example, I'd love to see how each individual position compares with the other measurables.
If our DE is 6'5, 255, and their DE is 6'5, 260 (or whatever), what's each guy's 40 time? What's their 225 reps?
Why is it important? Because if you look the part coming off the bus, and there isn't a significant difference in the measurables, (although even a small difference can be magnified on the field during game speed), then it's a scheme/coaching issue.
There’s a big difference between weight room strength and functional strength.

There’s a big difference between weight room strength and functional strength.
I don't completely agree. If you have 2 players that are evenly matched, then it comes down to technique, recognition, etc. That's on the coaches to develop if the physical tools are there.

What I've seen, particularly on D, is a lack of recognition and reaction from our defenders. Also, a lack of discipline, gap integrity, etc. Again, that's on coaching.

Reactions: pboiler18
Certainly the coaches can do better. But our entire D line is old guys that have been around forever and have also been on other teams. And none of them have ever done a thing. They’re just not good. And our LBs run like DTs

Certainly the coaches can do better. But our entire D line is old guys that have been around forever and have also been on other teams. And none of them have ever done a thing. They’re just not good. And our LBs run like DTs
I was trying to find the 40 times of Yanni but gave up.

Yes we all have portal transfers BUT how many were starters at their former school and how many rode the bench is the difference that some have mentioned. Love to see that statistic for every teams portal transfers in the Group of 5 teams!

Reactions: Bippus33
I don't completely agree. If you have 2 players that are evenly matched, then it comes down to technique, recognition, etc. That's on the coaches to develop if the physical tools are there.

What I've seen, particularly on D, is a lack of recognition and reaction from our defenders. Also, a lack of discipline, gap integrity, etc. Again, that's on coaching.
With regards to the second portion of your response.,the philosophy that CRW has for his defense demands all the things that you mentioned with superior athletes at each position. Needless to say, Purdue is never stocked full at every position with gifted talent that can be left on an island at each position.
At Purdue, CRW's defense is simply a big play magnet.

Reactions: pboiler18
With regards to the second portion of your response.,the philosophy that CRW has for his defense demands all the things that you mentioned with superior athletes at each position. Needless to say, Purdue is never stocked full at every position with gifted talent that can be left on an island at each position.
At Purdue, CRW's defense is simply a big play magnet.
But, supposedly Walters had built a defensive backfield with talent that could play man, so you could put them on an island an hope to not get torched repeatedly.
But, if our LBs are that bad in covering the TE and RBs, then that's a different problem.

Reactions: leodisflowers
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT