ADVERTISEMENT

Stevenson named B1G Freshman of Year, leading Purdue’s Big Ten honors

Happy for her, but I believe Potts from Nebraska earned it more.
Yeah I was a bit surprised when comparing their numbers/team success(I wasn't able to find just big ten stats) but good for her. She is definitely deserving.

Also nice to see Jones recognized. I'm excited to see the growth of our freshmen for next season.

Reactions: rgarlitz
Yeah I was a bit surprised when comparing their numbers/team success(I wasn't able to find just big ten stats) but good for her. She is definitely deserving.

Also nice to see Jones recognized. I'm excited to see the growth of our freshmen for next season.
I expcted Jones to make the freshman team, along with the two frosh from UMinn and UWisc.

The 2 (Potts and Stevenson) essentially shared the title. The coaches picked Potts and the media picked MA.

MA averaged 10.2 ppg and 4.6 rpg in B10 play.

Potts averaged 10.2 ppg and 5.2 rpg in B10 play.

Essentially the same stats. I believe MA had much more of a load put on her - having to carry the team much more than Potts.

Looking at conference only stats - there’s a case Swanson had a better conference season than Spider. Probably due to fresher legs as she didn’t play preseason. Swanson averaged 6.6 ppg on a team - leading 39% shooting from 3.

The trio of MA, Jones and Swanson are going to determine how this program goes from here on out.

Last edited:
The 2 (Potts and Stevenson) essentially shared the title. The coaches picked Potts and the media picked MA.

MA averaged 10.2 ppg and 4.6 rpg in B10 play.

Potts averaged 10.2 ppg and 5.2 rpg in B10 play.

Essentially the same stats. I believe MA had much more of a load put on her - having to carry the team much more than Potts.

Looking at conference only stats - there’s a case Swanson had a better conference season than Spider. Probably due to fresher legs as she didn’t play preseason. Swanson averaged 6.6 ppg on a team - leading 39% shooting from 3.

The trio of MA, Jones and Swanson are going to determine how this program goes from here on out.
Swanson was such a pleasant surprise. I’ve said it before, but I think she probably would have been in contention for All Freshman Team had she been healthy all year.

Congrats to Mary Ashley, one of the few bright spots in a dismal season, things will get better I think.

Reactions: Gesysp
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT