ADVERTISEMENT

Stephens' minutes

Re: Painter makes his players earn minutes.

Kendall needs to hit 3's that is his role on the team. Vince is to crash the boards and play solid D. Dakota is in to make the smart play.

I see Kendall and Dakota as having the same role on the team. The main role is to shoot the 3. The other role is to probe with drives and passes. Vince's role is much larger than crashing boards and playing D. He's one of our best offensive threats. He is to shoot the 3, drive, and pass. He's a taller Davis on offense. All 4 perimeter guys need to be able to hit the 3 to loosen up the middle.

I know Vince is an offensive threat didn't know what to put for it because he can do everything.

I'd say Kendall is just in a mental slump...shooters like him sometimes need to have their minutes lowered for a few games to get their heads right. I honestly think he's an NBA type shooter and might make some decent money playing this game eventually. I actually think purdue has 4 future nba players on their time right now!

He'll be fine...just needs to figure some stuff out between the ears...his heart is there.

Originally posted by Bruce1:
OSU wouldn't have left Kendall to double team AJ. I agree that Kendall was playing really bad but they would still have respected him if he was in the game.
If I was the OSU coach in that situation, I would have done exactly as Motta did. There are two things going here and the IU game is the example. Late in the game and Purdue needed a basket to keep IU at bay. They ran a play where Stephens ran to the corner on the side where AJ had setup and the pass was to go to Stephens. It was not made to Stephens because Yogi got in the way. Painter called a time out and setup a new play that worked. Painter later said that when Stephens got the ball, he was to enter the pass to AJ for a shot or a dump off to a cutter for a layup. So fast forward to this situation and Motta has a choice of letting Purdue run that same sort of play or let Purdue shoot a 3. I would take the post defense approach almost every time due to game situation.

How many times in the IU game did Purdue do somewhat of the same thing. They guarded Yogi and Blackmon really hard, letting some of the others open for 3's. The shoots were missed and Purdue comes off as having great perimeter defense. It all has to do with the matchups. I would let Stephens shoot that ball in that situation almost every time. The percentages are with me on that trade. And right now they are overwhelming.

Originally posted by Bruce1:
OSU wouldn't have left Kendall to double team AJ. I agree that Kendall was playing really bad but they would still have respected him if he was in the game.
If I was the OSU coach in that situation, I would have done exactly as Motta did. There are two things going here and the IU game is the example. Late in the game and Purdue needed a basket to keep IU at bay. They ran a play where Stephens ran to the corner on the side where AJ had setup and the pass was to go to Stephens. It was not made to Stephens because Yogi got in the way. Painter called a time out and setup a new play that worked. Painter later said that when Stephens got the ball, he was to enter the pass to AJ for a shot or a dump off to a cutter for a layup. So fast forward to this situation and Motta has a choice of letting Purdue run that same sort of play or let Purdue shoot a 3. I would take the post defense approach almost every time due to game situation.

How many times in the IU game did Purdue do somewhat of the same thing. They guarded Yogi and Blackmon really hard, letting some of the others open for 3's. The shoots were missed and Purdue comes off as having great perimeter defense. It all has to do with the matchups. I would let Stephens shoot that ball in that situation almost every time. The percentages are with me on that trade. And right now they are overwhelming.

Originally posted by BoilerFan#35:
Kendall's minutes don't need cut if we want a miracle run in the NCAA's it is because he gets his stroke back.
agreed

If he can play more efficiently (solid D without fouling, turnover-free, don't force any shots), that could go a long way in enhancing the team's overall play. As mentioned above, he is one of the best on the team at making over-the-top post entries, so he can do more than shoot to help the offensive attack.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT