ADVERTISEMENT

Stefanovic

Apr 26, 2015
I just wanted to see what the board thought about Stefanovic. When it comes to the young core I see a lot of conversation about Wheeler and Williams and rightly so, but I think Sasha is being overlooked a little bit. He already has one of the purest strokes in all of college basketball and he's made some great reads jumping into passing lanes for some key steals in games. Plays with a lot of energy. On ball defense and decision making need work but what freshman couldn't you say that about? I am all in on Sasha and think he's going to be just as impactful as Wheeler and Williams especially when he starts getting more consistent run with Cline graduating. What do you guys think?

I just wanted to see what the board thought about Stefanovic. When it comes to the young core I see a lot of conversation about Wheeler and Williams and rightly so, but I think Sasha is being overlooked a little bit. He already has one of the purest strokes in all of college basketball and he's made some great reads jumping into passing lanes for some key steals in games. Plays with a lot of energy. On ball defense and decision making need work but what freshman couldn't you say that about? I am all in on Sasha and think he's going to be just as impactful as Wheeler and Williams especially when he starts getting more consistent run with Cline graduating. What do you guys think?

Yes. He's a good basketball player. Shooting 40 percent in his first year is no joke. He's also in the action a lot and has good vision.
If he progresses I think he'll be even better than Mathias. Definitely a good piece in a winning team

Yes. He's a good basketball player. Shooting 40 percent in his first year is no joke. He's also in the action a lot and has good vision.
If he progresses I think he'll be even better than Mathias. Definitely a good piece in a winning team
He is a baller more minutes next season it will show how good he is. He will be huge the rest of this season to be honest he plays hard everybody make some mistakes but he gives his all every time he steps on the court.

He plays hard, plays smart, plays defense, and has a great feel for the game. He is being overlooked a bit because the need was greater at other positions. As a sophomore next year, he'll get a lot of minutes Cline is getting this year because of his shot. And he will be a fan favorite.

When he's a Junior he's going to be very good. His defense is pretty good too.

At his post game press conference yesterday Painter said he is comfortable with Sasha playing more minutes if Cline is sitting for foul trouble. I was a little skeptical of Sasha being on the same career trajectory as Cline as he will be competing for minutes with Hunter, Newman, and maybe even Eastern and Wheeler. But he has range, a nice shot and a shooters mentality. He doesn’t hesitate or think about it when its time to shoot it....so I think he will play a significant role for us in the coming years.

I like his stroke and the way he plays. He will be a great 4 year guy.

I want to see him work on his mid range game because that will make him dangerous.

Lot to be excited about with him as a player.

Reactions: Boilers424
He is a baller more minutes next season it will show how good he is. He will be huge the rest of this season to be honest he plays hard everybody make some mistakes but he gives his all every time he steps on the court.

My uncle played with Sasha's dad at Illinois State before the NBA. Enjoyed discussing with him how different their games were and my uncle laughed in agreement that #55 played more D in 5 mins than Lou did in his entire career. Said you carpool together. Glad to see Sasha and Nojel playing well and earning the "time to play hard" Boilermaker mentality label.

Last edited:
Loved watching your son play defense yesterday. As you know, defense wins games. Going to be a fun post-season this year with a long run if no one gets hurt.

It's GREAT he was able to redshirt and that will pay huge dividends.

Guys like Mathias and Cline - they didn't get to redshirt because they were 'needed' freshman year for depth. But in all reality, they didn't get to contribute much.

Stefanovic will have 3 very solid years of playing. The defense will come, but he is already ahead of where Mathias/Cline/Smith, etc. were as freshman because of the redshirt. Painter clearly has confidence in him - he got put on some big names so far this Big Ten season when in.

He gets rid of the ball so quickly and without much elevation on his shot he will have a big impact down the road. I knew he could shoot.

I didn’t expect him to be such smart defender. He is outmatches outtimes on his lateral quickness but he knows the scouting report and plays a great game between his ears.

I think he will land somewhere better than Cline but not as good as Dakota.

One thing with recruiting these guys - is they may not be the most athletic guys, but they have always provided Purdue with good size on the perimeter.

Ryan Cline is 6'6", Mathias is 6'4", Sasha is 6'4". This means these guys can contribute with rebounds, defensively, etc. to where they aren't a "match up" problem out there on our side. We only have 2 players under 6'4" that play - Carsen (6'1") and Eric Hunter (6'3"). The length is helpful on both ends.

I agree with you. I really like him.

Awesome quick release and body control to get himself in shooting position. Perfect for Purdue.

I said the same a while back and took some cr@p for it, but I think its justified, especially given CMP's history of player development.

Not quite the passer cline is, but I think he seems like he’s going to have better handles. Definitely love the effort. Will be a really good player

Cline's passing.....never thought of that as as a strength of his game......IMO Cline sometimes makes very good passes......other times he gets turned over by lazy passes or by guys with length on his passes.

Reactions: JohnHoosierr

I love the freshman! All of them! I am very pleased with where they are all at this point.

Cline's passing.....never thought of that as as a strength of his game......IMO Cline sometimes makes very good passes......other times he gets turned over by lazy passes or by guys with length on his passes.
I've always thought passing was the best part of his game other than 3pt shooting. He is averaging 3.2 assist/gm against 1.3 turnovers/gm. That's pretty good.

He's pretty good at feeding inside. And hello, did you not see his behind the back pass...

Everyone should already know my thoughts about this young man as I have expressed them many times before.....

When "Quil" left to go to Hofstra...Sasha became my favorite player.

He is a "region gym rat" like me....

Sasha will start next year at the 3 spot and be all Big Ten before he graduates.

He has a great relationship with Newman as well...….

The future is very bright....Boiler Up!

If Sasha can be a little more consistent, I think he will be on his way to playing a significant role on this team for the remainder of the year and on into the future. Fills in nicely when Cline is on the bench!

Like reading all the comments on Sasha. I just telling my wife during the game that he's going to be a good player.

The difference I see is Sasha has drastically better handles. Cline doesnt turn it over often, but just isnt that mobile with the ball.

I disagree Cline is very effective with the ball even if he is not flashy he knows he isn't going to really break anyone down with dribble moves so he is more conservative. Sasha has the highest Turnover Rate on the team by a decent margin he tries to do to much sometimes and that costs him.

Might have one of the quickest releases I have ever seen. Will do him good with more shot attempts next season running off more screens. He will not need much space to turn and fire. Given this is his first rodeo, he has a solid baseline to work off of. Next season, I could see him averaging 10-12 points per game if he ups his minutes played in to the 22-25 range.

Reactions: 72Boiler
I have really high hopes for Sasha. Very quick release and will be a great passer. He made a few bad passes when he tried to thread the needle, but even those passes indicated that he was actively looking at the floor and seeing what was happening. And I love his hustle and energy.
Matthias was awesome, but I tend to think Sasha might end up even a little better.

Reactions: Dakota Girl
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT